ruger lcp

Guest roamer

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest docvantrease2003

i know that academy of sports has a waiting list.selling lcp for 299.oo but youhave to be on the dang list

The "hold up" is the fact that Ruger introduced the LCP at SHOT 08 in Vegas last Feb. and by the second day of the show, had orders in hand that were 3 times their estimated production for the first year.

Its a nice little gun that will be on allocation from distributors to dealers for the next few years.

everything he said... plus I have sold everyone I have gotten for $350 out the door... and I cant get enough. No waiting lists...

Depends. Apparently Rugers don't like Gold Dots. That's a minus. I'd have to rate the Ruger and Kel-Tec as about the same. The Ruger seems to have a little more style and of course a "name" if that matters to someone, but I buy guns based on performance, design, and usability. I wouldn't pay a premium for the name.

how you figure they dont like Gold Dots, mine shoots fine with them.

how you figure they dont like Gold Dots, mine shoots fine with them.

I'm going by the Gun Tests article.

Unfortunately, we had a persistent problem with the Ruger LCP in the form of failures to feed. This happened with all three types of ammunition, and usually right after the third shot from a full magazine. The incoming round stuck between the top of the chamber and the breech face. Clearing it could be accomplished by either pressing forward on the slide or withdrawing the magazine. We expected the problem to go away with more shooting, but it stayed with us. Cleaning the gun didn’t help. On close inspection

The nose of this Speer Gold Dot bullet jammed into the base of the Ruger’s feed ramp and lodged there. It took a long time to clear, not what you’d want on the street. This happened only once. Test your ammo!

we found rough surfaces on the breech face and inside the top extension of the chamber. We did some hasty polishing there, and for the duration of our testing there were no more failures to feed with the round-nose ammunition. But we had a gross failure to feed of a different nature with Speer Gold Dot that was not related to our polishing. The hollow nose of the bullet jammed into the base of the feed ramp, greatly distorting the bullet nose and creating a stoppage that was difficult and time-consuming to clear. This once again warned us that all self-defense ammunition must be tested before trusting your life to it.

Edited by Marswolf
Guest cartophilis

I got a call today that Chuck Boggs gunshop in W.Verginia is advertising in the GUN DIGEST to have them for 300.00 plus shipping. FYI

Carto

I just read the article on the lcp in this months Rifleman. Is is just me or does this seem like a blatant copy of a Keltec? I like Ruger have owned several, but when I read this article. I just kept thinking, this is a Keltec, couldn't Ruger do a little better at differentiating itself?

Well, yeah it's an obvious ripoff of a Kel-Tec. I guess the Ruger is a good handgun, since the Kel-Tec is a good handgun. But I would think that just blatantly stealing the Kel-Tec design would be an embarrassment to Ruger. They could have at least put tail fins on it. :rolleyes:

I've heard of several people getting rid of their Kel-Tec's for the LCP. They did something right.

I just don't understand the rationale for doing that. The Kel-Tec works fine and is even slightly smaller. Snob appeal?

I don't care. It just seems odd.

I just don't understand the rationale for doing that. The Kel-Tec works fine and is even slightly smaller. Snob appeal?

I don't care. It just seems odd.

I'm doing that, but only because I don't have the extra money to keep both right now, and my wife does not like the P3at but likes the LCP. No it's not "snob appeal" the LCP actually if a better finished firearm, no fluff and buff needed. Clean and shoot right out of the box.

Kel Tec didn't patent the design. Funny, huh? So Ruger "borrowed" it, made a few "improvements" and brought it out as the LCP.

They have the ability to manufacture 1,000 a week. They took orders for 85,000 at the SHOT show. Which means we'll be seeing them still in short supply for about 2-3 years.

And get ready, Kahr is bringing out their version of it as well in a few months.

Kel Tec didn't patent the design. Funny, huh? So Ruger "borrowed" it, made a few "improvements" and brought it out as the LCP.

I can't think of anything in the Kel-Tec that was patentable. The thing that made it innovative was the very small size.

Again, if one prefers a Ruger to a Kel-Tec for whatever reason, then they should buy a Ruger. I just think Ruger's announcement of the LCP was hilarious. They just went on and on about how innovative they were when all they did was copy an existing design and make very minor, changes, which some people like and some don't.

I've owned two P3ATs, as well as a P32. The first 380 required a few minutes of buffing. The second one has required nothing and has been completely reliable.

Maybe with both Kel-Tec and Ruger making these small guns, the supply will finally catch up to the demand.

Which would I buy now? The one in stock. And if both were in stock, I'd probably buy another P3AT just because it is very slightly smaller. This is a gun that I literally carry in my back pocket. I didn't like the extra 1/16 inch length of the 380 compared to the 32. I really don't want the gun any bigger.

I still carry my original P32 but as soon as the LCP market calms down a little I will be getting one since they don't seem to have the same feeding issues that have plagued the P3ATs.

I still carry my original P32 but as soon as the LCP market calms down a little I will be getting one since they don't seem to have the same feeding issues that have plagued the P3ATs.

But according to Gun Tests they have their own feeding problem. And my 2nd generation P3AT has never had a feeding problem. I have heard reports of the LCP having problems with feeding right out of the box too. Looks to me that either gun you may get a winner or an easily fixable problem gun.Either will do the job.

I think the one fix Kel-Tec needs to make is to a better marketing department.

Edited by Marswolf
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob_in_TN

Some of you that have them on order had better exercise daily, take your vitamins, and live a good life. Sounds like that is the only way you'll see your LCP. I ordered mine one day, and had it in my hands two days later. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I Got mine Last week (LCP) and I LOVE it. One of the sweetest little guns I have ever had the pleasure to hold and shoot. Id not sell mine for $100 over my cost. Maybe 200$:D

As for a long triger. Mine seems to be rather short. Im 6 foot 3 with rather big hands and I have no problem.

LCP2.jpg

Guest GLOCKGUY

im trying to talk my wife in to buying one of these. but see is insisting on buying a G-26. i just think this would be more practical for her