Look at the AR shortage and compare

Look at the AR shortage and compare.  What if that had been the SHTF moment.  Compare AR's to other readily available food items.

Sure there was AR's on the shelves but not enough for everyone that wanted. 

Had this been a food shortage you know your local stores would have been out just as fast.

Say only 30 percent of Americans actually tried to obtain an AR in the last week and supply is gone.  Had it been a food storage 100 percent of Americans would have been going after food supplies.

Were you ready?

Myself a little short but certainly ahead of the curve I believe.

Still behind in some key areas.

• Like 3
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1356800377' post='871390']There is a field full of goats down the road. I have money, a good knife, and a smoker. I even have a way to get the goat, even though they run much faster than me. :)[/quote] Milk and meat all in one furry critter. One-stop shopping. Win-win posted from my phone Edited by Batman
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a field full of goats down the road. I have money, a good knife, and a smoker. I even have a way to get the goat, even though they run much faster than me. :)

Those goats wont be there very long in a true SHTF. And even if they are, how long are they gonna last. You cant put back too much of any essential....well, until the floor caves in. :cool:

Good point vontar.

All it takes is a minor weather event to empty the store shelves of food...a Real SHTF scenario? If you aren't prepared, at least to some degree = serious trouble.

It's easy to get distracted...we are a gun-centric group after all.

Of equal importance to Security (guns & gear) are - Shelter- Energy- Food- Water and Medical.

Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1
Guest USMC 2013

Look at the AR shortage and compare.  What if that had been the SHTF moment.  Compare AR's to other readily available food items.

Sure there was AR's on the shelves but not enough for everyone that wanted. 

Had this been a food shortage you know your local stores would have been out just as fast.

Say only 30 percent of Americans actually tried to obtain an AR in the last week and supply is gone.  Had it been a food storage 100 percent of Americans would have been going after food supplies.

Were you ready?

Myself a little short but certainly ahead of the curve I believe.

Still behind in some key areas.

I agree with you, but want to throw something out.  In my opinion people are hoarding semi-auto weapons right now in fear of a ban.   Some of these weapons being bought, the people are hoping for a ban to further drive up prices.  This is bad behavior, a low point for humans. 

I would love to see statistics of who bought any semi-auto in the last three months.  I bet way more than 50% were buyers that already owned a semi-auto.

Joe

I work in the gun business. Yeah most of them are semi auto but you'd be surprised at how many don't fall under what a lot of people suspect would fall under the supposed AWB. I worked through the 2008 election and this past election/panic. Sure we sold a lot of AR, AKs, and Glocks(etc), however we've sold tons of revolvers, and lots of semi auto sub 10rd mag pistols, lots of 10/22 (which could be made high cap), lots of .22 pistols (I guess for ammo prices).

If 30% of Americans are firearm owners, imagine if this had been an SHTF scenario where 100% of the populace was scrounging for food. As difficult as you think finding pmags, 5.56/.223, or .22lr is, just imagine looking for staple foods where over three times the people are out for the same things. Stock up now; prepare for the worst; rotate your stock; and live ready.

TC

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with you, but want to throw something out.  In my opinion people are hoarding semi-auto weapons right now in fear of a ban.   Some of these weapons being bought, the people are hoping for a ban to further drive up prices.  This is bad behavior, a low point for humans. 

I would love to see statistics of who bought any semi-auto in the last three months.  I bet way more than 50% were buyers that already owned a semi-auto.

Joe

I bought a semi auto in the last three months, and already own a semi auto. I probably bought one in the three months previous to that, and will right likely buy another in the coming three months. You could say the same for most any three month period in my life since I was a small child.

How is this bad behavior, and a low point for humans?

I'm not hoarding anything. I just like guns. You aren't getting on the bandwagon of "wants versus needs" are you?

Edited by gregintenn
Guest USMC 2013

I bought a semi auto in the last three months, and already own a semi auto. I probably bought one in the three months previous to that, and will right likely buy another in the coming three months. You could say the same for most any three month period in my life since I was a small child.

How is this bad behavior, and a low point for humans?

I'm not hoarding anything. I just like guns. You aren't getting on the bandwagon of "wants versus needs" are you?

Hoarding is bad.  If the shoe fits...wear it.  Collecting, hobby, etc...is different behavior than hoarding.  I said nothing about normal behavior so please do not read into what I wrote.

Being prepared is not hoarding.  Buying every item of anything because you fear an imminent shortage is hoarding.  Especially when you could only use one, or if it was perishable food, it would go bad before you could use it all.

IMO, to buy from a fear is a bad human reaction.  Just my two cents.

Fidel

Lord help I wouldn't even attempt to hoarde milk. Powdered milk maybe... :) I'm too lazy for cows.

I guess powdered milk has advantage over water for added nutrition, but that's the only damn one, yuck.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest USMC 2013

You jest about hoarding milk but try going to the grocery store as an ice storm is about to hit.  Every typical American with only 1-2 days of food in their house rushes to the store and buys out all the milk and bread.  Does ice storm equal french toast time?  WTF?

I stopped at Wal Mart because I had to get something for work last year the night some potentially bad weather was going to hit last winter.  They were literally out of bread and I saw women buying 3 and 4 gallons of milk at a time!  Sad...

Joe

I guess powdered milk has advantage over water for added nutrition, but that's the only damn one, yuck.

- OS

LOL. While that is generally true, we have been storing and using [url=http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nido-Instant-Dry-Whole-Milk-3.52-Lb/14869811] Nido powdered milk[/url] for several years. And it's one of the free shipping items from Walmart.com.

Of course it's not nearly as good as fresh, but for baking and cooking it's hard to beat.

Heck...you can even survive bad weather with it. :pleased:

Hoarding is bad.  If the shoe fits...wear it.  Collecting, hobby, etc...is different behavior than hoarding.  I said nothing about normal behavior so please do not read into what I wrote.

Being prepared is not hoarding.  Buying every item of anything because you fear an imminent shortage is hoarding.  Especially when you could only use one, or if it was perishable food, it would go bad before you could use it all.

IMO, to buy from a fear is a bad human reaction.  Just my two cents.

Fidel

What if I buy all I can because I fear an imminent shortage and want to be able to barter? Wouldn't that fall under preparation? Or if I wanted to sell/trade it for a profit?

In other words, hoarding vs prepping is a matter of perspective. If you are starving, then you would consider a prepper to be a hoarder and yourself an innocent victim of the apocalypse, but he would would likely have a different opinion of himself and of you.

After the last panic, I did stop and think. I watched some gun sites and picked up an 870 tactical and bought a couple of cases of double "naught" buck for it and for other firearms I've purchased . I bought ammo and some firearms I felt would work good in a defensive situation. I see no need in stocking items If you cant protect / hold them. I've fallen short a bit on food items and water. I do need to get back on the wagon and complete my food and water stash. I'll be at the store tomorrow cranking back up onmy backup food supply. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe after I get caught up on the food and water stash, the ammo will be ready for harvest...Lol

Thanks for the reminder Edited by Randall53