Pizza Hut Demotes driver for defending himself

I left a comment on their Facebook page detailing my disgust with their reaction to the driver protecting himself. I got this reply from pizza hut, "Michael, we understand your concern and we are looking into this issue." Sounds like a load of sh#t to me.
  • Like 1
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I have worked for a competitor and carried the entire time. I would not do that job without my concealed firearm. During that time frame that I did deliver pizza, only a couple of my fellow employees figured out I was carrying. They kept quiet, cause they felt safer working with someone that was armed.

Its time these companies grow some balls and allow their employees to carry.

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214
Too bad they don't have Jet's Pizza down here in Chattanooga.

Jets Pizza
3600 Hixson Pike
Chattanooga, TN

(424) 757-1616

Love me some Jets pizza. The one closest to me is a touch greasy but it's goooooooood. Beer thins out the grease so Win Win!! Edited by Caster

these are the kind of decisions made exceutives in plosh offices with security at the front door. i wonder if the guy had fought them off with just his fists if pizza hut would consider his fists a weapon and made the same decision. they just dont understand things aren't so clear cut out here in the real world.

I don't like it when an employer does this kind of stuff...I really don't. But at the same time, it's their rules isn't it?

I understand why the guy would carry....I understand why he would defend himself...but I'm sure he did so knowing full well what the potential repercussions would be.

I don't like it...I support the guy doing what he did...but Pizza Hut did nothing wrong here; at least not if the driver knew or should have known Pizza Hut's policy.

EDIT: I also wonder, is this a Pizza Hut corporate policy or the policy of the particular store this employee worked for?  I don't know if all Pizza Huts are corporate owned or if some/most/all are franchised???

Edited by RobertNashville
Its one thing for a business/company/corporation to have a no-resist policy for employees while on the premises of company property, but when an employee is out on the street by themself, the company has absolutely no idea what can happen to them, nor does the company offer any security or protection to the employee. Things are a lot more fluid on the street. I speak from experience from both sides. Ive been a delivery driver and Ive owned a pizza delivery chain and had drivers robbed and beaten, one brutally so for $30 woth of pizza (no money). He required plastic surgery. Only the person on the street can determine in the midst of the situation if they need to resist or not. I would not have some corp. exec deciding my fate from behind a desk. Better to be fired than to be dead.
Its one thing for a business/company/corporation to have a no-resist policy for employees while on the premises of company property, but when an employee is out on the street by themself, the company has absolutely no idea what can happen to them, nor does the company offer any security or protection to the employee. Things are a lot more fluid on the street. I speak from experience from both sides. Ive been a delivery driver and Ive owned a pizza delivery chain and had drivers robbed and beaten, one brutally so for $30 woth of pizza (no money). He required plastic surgery. Only the person on the street can determine in the midst of the situation if they need to resist or not. I would not have some corp. exec deciding my fate from behind a desk. Better to be fired than to be dead.

I'm not arguing in favor of the policy but they have a right to have their policies.  People who want to work for them have to decide to either follow the policies or not and if it's "not" then they should be prepared for the consequences. That said, I do think I can see Pizza Hut's reasoning for their policy...should one of their drivers, while on a delivery, use deadly force against someone and it's determined that the use of force wasn't justified, who do you think the victim/victim's family is going to go after civilly?

Perhaps the "parking lot" legislation we've talked about here could address this...part of the bills that have been proposed had liability exclusions in it and I suspect we would need something like that if individual states start telling businesses that they can't have policies that restrict arms from employee vehicles whether parked in a parking lot or while out on company business???

Yes they are a private company and can legally place these ignorant policies on their employees. But we also have a right to let them know they are wrong and let the victim know he was right. And we also have the right not to patronize their business again. If we just let this stuff slide then more and more companies will make such policies and the fear of self defense will be ingrained into more and more people. And the next thing you know criminals will have free reign to do what they want and when somebody does defend themselves they go to jail for longer than the criminal.

Edited by Superman
Yes they are a private company and can legally place these ignorant policies on their employees. But we also have a right to let them know they are wrong and let the victim know he was right. And we also have the right not to patronize their business again. If we just let this stuff slide then more and more companies will make such policies and the fear of self defense will be ingrained into more and more people. And the next thing you know criminals will have free reign to do what they want and when somebody does defend themselves they go to jail for longer than the criminal.

No one said let them slide...no one said you couldn't or shouldn't let them know how you feel or that you shouldn't take your business elsewhere if you wish to do so.  Anyway, being demoted. losing a few hours of work or even losing a job by violating a company policy doesn't send anyone to jail nor does defending yourself when you are are being accosted.