"Did you contact your Reps to day" Roll call

A reply today, a good one in my book.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me concerning gun control and our 2nd Amendment rights.  I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts on this important issue.  

As you may know, the tragedies in Newtown, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado have prompted some lawmakers to consider new weapons bans, such as the recent legislation proposed by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) which would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of so-called "assault weapons" as well as large ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. 

While I believe that these horrific events warrant a serious discussion on what can be done to prevent future violence, I do not believe that greater government restrictions on gun ownership offer a viable solution to this problem and am not supportive of additional firearm bans; including the AR-15 rifle. 

As a handgun carry permit holder and supporter of responsible gun ownership, I believe that our 2nd Amendment rights are fundamental and must be protected. The discussion on gun control by the main stream media and some of my colleagues in Congress will only treat the symptoms of these tragic events, doing little to address the root cause behind how these incidents occur. Furthermore, they operate on the completely misguided premise that criminals will obey gun laws. 

Instead of this approach, we must work to strengthen families and empower parents to provide safe home environments for their children and to recognize aggressive behaviors early on. Additionally, we must work with our communities to curb the trend of desensitization to violence, profanity and other high-risk behaviors glamorized by videogames and movies that often consume children's time, and shift to a culture that respects the sanctity and value of each innocent human life. 

As a nurse for more than 40 years, I believe we must be prepared for a conversation on school violence as it relates to mental health. While many details remain unclear regarding the motives of the gunmen in the Newtown, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado tragedies, we know that these individual were among the millions of Americans with a mental disorder, and may have benefitted from treatment options or more frequent opportunities to speak with counselors. Examples such as this are among the many reasons I continue to advocate for patient-centered healthcare reforms that will offer those facing mental disabilities access to the care that they need.

As discussion continues over what can be done to stop future acts of violence and keep our citizens safe, rest assured that I will work to achieve these goals in a way that upholds the provisions of the 2nd Amendment and protects the rights of private citizens.

Sincerely,
Signature.jpg
Diane Black
Member of Congress

P.S. Stay up-to-date on key legislation and events; sign up for my weekly e-newsletter and follow me on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Sent this today

Leahy, LaPierre and the Vermont paradox
January 30, 2013|Steve Chapman

Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy chaired a Judiciary Committee hearing today where he questioned Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association about expanding background checks to cover private sales, which produced an interesting exchange. (The answer is no.)

Leahy is in a slightly awkward position for a couple of reasons. The first is that the bill proposed by prominent Democrats includes a ban on "assault weapons" that he declines to endorse. The second is that he's from Vermont.

Why does his home state matter? Because it seriously undermines the case for gun control. Advocates believe that permissive laws foster lethal violence and strict ones prevent it. But Vermont, despite its highly liberal reputation, has among the loosest gun laws in the nation.

No background checks, no limits on assault weapons or large magazines -- heck, you can carry a pistol openly without a permit. The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence gives it an "F." But its homicide rate is less than one-third the national rate, and only two states have a lower homicide rate.

How come? Probably because laws are not the crucial variable. California gets an A-minus, but its murder rate is slightly above average. Utah gets an F and it is nearly as safe as Vermont.

The fact that is hard for many people to grasp is that it doesn't matter much how easy it is to get a gun if the people who get them are law-abiding. The danger comes when criminals get guns. But the people most affected by gun control laws are the people who pose the lowest threat.

Pat Leahy probably knows that.

So more firearm laws dont work, the more people that legally own a firearm is better. Enforce the laws that are on the book now.

Sky King and I spent the day (Tuesday 2/5/13) at Legislative Plaza, we met with 12 Representatives, 2 Senators and ran a couple down in the hallway, and, had a meeting with the LT. Gov.'s aide.  Yucked it up with the lobbyist for the other side, and attended the Judiciary Committee meeting.

Saw lots of Citizen lobbyist on the Hill yesterday, about every one that I have met over the years, seems to be a real sense of urgency on their part, better prepared and walking the halls with more purpose.

• Like 1

Sky King and I spent the day (Tuesday 2/5/13) at Legislative Plaza, we met with 12 Representatives, 2 Senators and ran a couple down in the hallway, and, had a meeting with the LT. Gov.'s aide.  Yucked it up with the lobbyist for the other side, and attended the Judiciary Committee meeting.

Saw lots of Citizen lobbyist on the Hill yesterday, about every one that I have met over the years, seems to be a real sense of urgency on their part, better prepared and walking the halls with more purpose.

I am gona have to take some time off work to step up.

Thanks much for help.

I sent 4 e-mails today.

I sent 3 emails yesterday, and just sent 4 more. I'll sent more this afternoon. I think I'll call Corker and Alexander now.

The NRA website and Ruger have the forms to send to all MY legislators. Is there a form out there on the Web that will let me send to ALL the senators and congressmen at once? I want to start emailing and calling offices that are for gun control and not just TN reps.

• Like 1

Just sent this, plus 2 more.

" "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
Samuel Adams

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

What is going on in this Great Country is the disarming of THE PEOPLE,
WE THE PEOPLE WILL STAND BY AND LET THIS HAPPEN!!!

WE THE PEOPLE voted you into office.
WE THE PEOPLE will vote you out of office.
Do as we want!"

3 phone calls today.

Sent this as well

Gun Registration and the Law

Another fact Americans need to understand is that registration is directed to law-abiding citizens, not criminals. Not only do convicted criminals by definition fail to obey the law, but they are constitutionally protected against any registration requirement. In Haynes v. United States, the U.S. Supreme Court in 1968 ruled 7-1 that compelling registration by those who may not lawfully possess firearms amounts to a violation of the Fifth Amendment's proscription against forced self-incrimination. In other words, the court said that if someone "realistically can expect that registration [of a firearm] will substantially increase the likelihood of his prosecution," the registration requirement is unconstitutional.

As Edmund Burke that champion of British liberty once orated, “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” Americans must therefore remain informed and vigilant to preserve their traditional and constitutional liberties and prevent enactment of gun control legislation rooted in passion and emotionalism and that impacts them and not the criminals. Government efforts should be directed against criminals and felons, and should best be directed towards crime control rather than gun control.

Edited by RED333