IL introducing all out ban and confiscation legislation tomorrow

Whew I hope this don't go through!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/breaking-illinois-modern-firearms-ban-and-mag-registration-bills-revealed/

Page 7-8 here:  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Illinois-gun-ban-bill-1263.pdf

Says that:

Sec. 24-1.9. Possession, delivery, sale, and purchase of semi-automatic assault weapons, assault weapon attachments, .50 caliber rifles, and .50 caliber cartridges.
(a) Definitions. In this Section:
(1) "Semi-automatic assault weapon" means:

[blah blah blah]

(B) a semi-automatic rifle or pump-action rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has any of the following:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(C) a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has any of the following:
(i) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole stock;
(ii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(iii) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; or
(v) a semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;
(C-1) a semi-automatic rifle or pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;
(C-2) a semi-automatic rifle or a pistol with the capacity to accept a detachable magazine, a muzzle brake, or muzzle compensator;

(D) a semi-automatic shotgun that has any of the following:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; or
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Then goes on to say that even an attachment will be illegal.

I hope to God this isn't what we can expect to see elsewhere and that there's enough politicians with common sense up there to throw this thing out tomorrow!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(ii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

This provision would include every rifle that takes a removable mag. I mean, is there a rife made that doesn't have a forearm?

This provision would include every rifle that takes a removable mag. I mean, is there a rife made that doesn't have a forearm?

exactly, and even a wooden stock could be considered a "shroud" for an assault weapon with their definition.

Bad News, they took two previously made bills one about sex crimes and one about nuclear stuff, gutted them and filled them with this legislation trying to ram it through. And they just said it passed through committee a little while ago with a 6-3 vote with an amendment that makes it even more strict.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/breaking-illinois-modern-firearms-ban-and-mag-cap-bills-pass-out-of-committee/#comments

Edited by Sam1
On some level I hope this passes. From reading this it will outlaw 75% of firearms that folks own. If it passed it wouldn't last and would show just how ridiculous things can get when folks legislate with emotion rather than reason.
The Senate Committee approved it. It will go up for a vote soon.

"Approval" in committee is just an initial step, means bill written correctly and whatnot, it's an official acceptance.

Hardly any bill beyond ceremonial/commemorative types in any legislature gets to the floor of any chamber without modification.

I don't much care what IL does, myself. Sounds to me like they're just scheduling another meeting with SCOTUS.

- OS

I'm would hate to have them pass it. . . my safe would probably fill up with my relatives' firearms from up that way overnight, and I might have to see some of them more often. 

The laws up there are already really odd, walked into walmart over the holidays and they would only sell my FIL 2 boxes of ammo and he had to give her his FOID card so they could register the number or something. I asked for 12 boxes total in 4 different calibers and simply had to prove I was from out of state. I asked about the discrepancy and she said the county's sheriff had limited ammunition sales to FOID card holders to 2 boxes per day but that the limit didn't apply to non-residents since we can't apply for a FOID card. :squint:  Kinda reminded me of when TN lowers the corporate taxes to entice business to move to TN, except they are enticing me to keep my ass here and buy my ammo there. (It rarely ever sells out with the goofy limit on locals)

Edited by 2.ooohhh
The bills got pulled a few minutes ago.  Not enough votes.

Thanks for the info! Great news!

But...   It was apparently close (a few votes).

Keep supporting the cause.  Call & Email the IL reps. Overwhelm their lines through Wednesday (the next session).

You may want to give the NY legislators a bit of loving too.

B. 

The gun ban goes down, like a young Linda Lovelace, only with more choking.

They were only 2 votes short of passage, though, and they have until next Wednesday to strongarm a couple more votes.

The reason you won't find it in local news should be pretty obvious - they are hoping that gun owners will think they dodged the bullet and quit calling their legislators.

Edited by Mark@Sea
The gun ban goes down, like a young Linda Lovelace, only with more choking.

They were only 2 votes short of passage, though, and they have until next Wednesday to strongarm a couple more votes.

The reason you won't find it in local news should be pretty obvious - they are hoping that gun owners will think they dodged the bullet and quit calling their legislators.

Yeah, I found a link since also. Here's one:

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Vote-on-Illinois-Weapons-Ban-Delayed-185603982.html

They didn't actually vote, found they were short by polling...

I was wrong about it not going directly to Senate there though, it did.

Wonder what the House is like there, compared to the Senate? The Reps don't even show till Monday.

- OS

IL was pulled, but now NY is pushing one through and requiring registration of EVERY gun, no matter the type.

Biden also stated today that POTUS will have "sweeping legislation" implemented by the end of the month.

IL was pulled, but now NY is pushing one through and requiring registration of EVERY gun, no matter the type.

Biden also stated today that POTUS will have "sweeping legislation" implemented by the end of the month.