Responses from Legislators

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest KCampbell
Dear Kenny,

Thank you for sharing your feelings regarding the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut.  I was horrified by this attack that left twenty-eight dead.  My thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those who now live with their loss. 

As we learn more about the tragedy in Newtown, I think we must look closely at the behavior of isolated young men who develop an obsession with violence.  We should ask the leaders of the entertainment industry whether they would want their children--or those who might harm their children--to watch the increasingly violent video games and movies that they pour into our culture.  This is not the only cause of violence in our society but it is one important cause. Connecticut has strong gun laws. The problem is not with the gun but with the person pulling the trigger.

This is a terrible event for our nation and we must find appropriate ways to respond. I’m grateful you’ve shared your reactions with me and will keep them in mind as we move forward.

Sincerely,
Lamar

Just got another response, this time from the whitehouse.

When Discussing the Second Amendment, Keep the First in Mind Too

By Jay Carney, White House Press Secretary

Thank you for participating in We the People to speak out on an issue that matters to you.

Let’s not let arguments over the Constitution’s Second Amendment violate the spirit of its First. President Obama believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. However, the Constitution not only guarantees an individual right to bear arms, but also enshrines the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press -- fundamental principles that are essential to our democracy. Americans may disagree on matters of public policy and express those disagreements vigorously, but no one should be punished by the government simply because he or she expressed a view on the Second Amendment -- or any other matter of public concern.

We recognize that the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, sparked an intense, and at times emotional, national conversation about the steps we can take as a country to reduce gun violence. In fact, your petition is one of many on the issue, and President Obama personally responded by sharing his views on this important issue.

I hate the fact that law-abiding gun owners like me are being stigmatized as dangerous everywhere, hope we can turn this around soon.

Edited by cgpeanut
Guest macmonkey

From Alexander

Dear Jon,

Thanks very much and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the right to bear arms.

I’m a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets. Good citizens don’t abuse guns – criminals do. I will continue to support legislative efforts to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment.

In two recent cases, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly held that the Second Amendment protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms. In the 2008 case, D.C. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that D.C.’s restrictive gun laws violated the constitutional rights of Americans. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court struck down the city of Chicago’s handgun ban and held that, like the federal government, state and local governments must respect Second Amendment rights. I joined legal briefs in both cases in defense of this constitutional right and was pleased with the Supreme Court’s decisions.

I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand. I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,
Lamar
January 8, 2013

xxxxx
xxxxx
Tullahoma, TN 37388-5277

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for sharing your feelings regarding the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut. I was horrified by this attack that left twenty-eight dead. My thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those who now live with their loss.

As we learn more about the tragedy in Newtown, I think we must look closely at the behavior of isolated young men who develop an obsession with violence. We should ask the leaders of the entertainment industry whether they would want their children--or those who might harm their children--to watch the increasingly violent video games and movies that they pour into our culture. This is not the only cause of violence in our society but it is one important cause. Connecticut has strong gun laws. The problem is not with the gun but with the person pulling the trigger.

This is a terrible event for our nation and we must find appropriate ways to respond. I’m grateful you’ve shared your reactions with me and will keep them in mind as we move forward.

Sincerely,
Lamar
Guest pangloss

Dear Kenny,

Thank you for sharing your feelings regarding the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut.  I was horrified by this attack that left twenty-eight dead.  My thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those who now live with their loss. 

As we learn more about the tragedy in Newtown, I think we must look closely at the behavior of isolated young men who develop an obsession with violence.  We should ask the leaders of the entertainment industry whether they would want their children--or those who might harm their children--to watch the increasingly violent video games and movies that they pour into our culture.  This is not the only cause of violence in our society but it is one important cause. Connecticut has strong gun laws. The problem is not with the gun but with the person pulling the trigger.

Sincerely,
Lamar

This is the reply I received today.

Lamar's canned response,

Dear Keith,

Thanks very much and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the right to bear arms.

I’m a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets. Good citizens don’t abuse guns – criminals do. I will continue to support legislative efforts to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment.

In two recent cases, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly held that the Second Amendment protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms. In the 2008 case, D.C. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that D.C.’s restrictive gun laws violated the constitutional rights of Americans. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court struck down the city of Chicago’s handgun ban and held that, like the federal government, state and local governments must respect Second Amendment rights. I joined legal briefs in both cases in defense of this constitutional right and was pleased with the Supreme Court’s decisions.

I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand. I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,
Lamar

I haven't got my 2nd Admendment response from Corker yet but I do have lengthly one on the Fiscal Cliff.  :snore:

Edited by kieefer

I got a favorable response from Lamar Alexander as follows:

Dear Roberto,

Sincerely,

Lamar

Hope he sticks to this.

I received the same letter today also,I keep writing several of our lawmakers,I hope its some kind of help.I figure if a person does not attempt to make our wishes known,it leaves no room to complain.I just hope a lot of other sportsmen are doing the same.

Sincerely,
Lamar

I got this version of the response this evening.

Edited by JMR1138
Guest Halfling

I got replies from Corker, Alexander and Bill Ketron. They all appear to be canned except Ketron's.

Thank you John for contacting me on this issue. As I'm sure you realize, numerous constituents have contacted me regarding these very same issues in the recent weeks since the Newtown tragedy. I can assure you that I am in agreement with you on these issues and will oppose legislation that makes it even more difficult for law-abiding, responsbile citizens from becoming or continuing to be legal, firearm owners. Thank you for your time and your support. I look forward to serving you in the coming session.

Senator Bill Ketron
Republican Caucus Chairman
Tennessee State Senate.District 13

Until an actual bill comes their way for decision/revision, you won't get any real hard responses regarding details of the finer points of what they'll actually support and what they won't.

Not saying that overwhelming response from one side or the other on issues has no effect, but polling parsed for their constituency and lobbyist money define most pols' conscience, especially Lamar who comes up in '14, and all reps all the time since they run every other year. Job Number One and all, ya know?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

We do know all the basic elements of the civilian disarmament plan, and so do they. Those emails sound pretty positive to me.

Send one as an anti to same addresses and see if it's the same response. I guess you would. Sounds like a good bit of wiggle room in most of them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I got the 2nd Amendment response from Alexander.   Nothing really from Corker or Cooper. I agree, Lamar's has too much wriggle room.  They are all careful to not specify which weapons  are 2nd amendment, which is the way I think they will support a ban, by saying oh I support the 2nd Amendment, but just not AR style weapons, or large capacity magazines, etc...

Edited by barewoolf

This was my response to the Alexander 2nd Amendment response.  I am sure he will never see it, but I am going to state that I will not vote again for anyone who places limitations of any kind.

Mr. Alexander,

Thank you for your response.  I realize this is a common response sent to everyone who sent a similar concern, however, I would like to make clear that just protecting the 2nd amendment is not all that is at stake.  I also expect that you will not support limitations on my right to own magazines or firearms such as sporting rifles, commonly mis-termed as assault rifles.  I believe you are using semantics to try and appease your constituents without saying you won't support limitations on certain items which you can then later say you never said you wouldn't do.  I would like to hear and see you state that you will not support ANY new limitations to gun ownership outside of improved mental health assitance, which is not a gun specific issue.

As I stated in my previous correspondence, I will not vote for anyone who represents me currently that supports any limitations on my constitutional rights.  I hear often "why does anyone NEED these items".  If need were a criteria for the constitution, we would live in a much different country.  

Thank you for your time.

• Like 1
Guest RonM0710
Response from Senator Alexander:

Sincerely,
Lamar

Same response from Congressman Chuck Fleischmann as above.

Still no response from Senator Corker.

Edited by RonM0710

I got a fairly good response from Lamar, no promises mind you but it leaves me somewhat hopeful as to his support of 2nd amendment rights. Here it is:

Dear Nathaniel,

Thank you for sharing your feelings regarding the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut. I was horrified by this attack that left twenty-eight dead. My thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those who now live with their loss.

As we learn more about the tragedy in Newtown, I think we must look closely at the behavior of isolated young men who develop an obsession with violence. We should ask the leaders of the entertainment industry whether they would want their children--or those who might harm their children--to watch the increasingly violent video games and movies that they pour into our culture. This is not the only cause of violence in our society but it is one important cause. Connecticut has strong gun laws. The problem is not with the gun but with the person pulling the trigger.

Sincerely,
Lamar

I'm not going to go through and translate the range of what each of these folks could vote for and still be technically within the confines of their responses.

But you'll notice you are not hearing anything specific, like:

"I will not support

... banning any type of now legal firearm

... banning hi capacity magazines (I mean, clips, sorry)

... changing status of any current firearm to NFA status

... ending all private sales

... creating a national gun registry"

etc.

Remember, the biggest gun grabbers in this nation claim to be strong believers in the Second Amendment. That means absolutely zip to say that.

There are lots of "appropriate ways to respond" as Lamar puts it,  that can cripple our firearm rights, yet not violate 2A. According to them.

Remember there are 537 elected pols in DC and just about every one has the same Job Number One, except the two at the top.  Hopefully enough of them will believe that their primary mission also coincides with no more limitations on 2A.

- OS

Guest macmonkey

From Jim Cooper

Dear ###:

Thank you for contacting me about legislation to ban certain types of firearms and ammunition. I appreciate hearing your perspective and am happy to respond.

December's horrific school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut left twenty innocent children and six brave adults dead. This tragedy has rightly focused our attention on what we can do to prevent violence like this in the future, and I am willing to consider any proposal that will keep our children safe, regardless of politics. Nothing is more important.

President Obama has appointed the Vice President to lead a task force charged with proposing "concrete solutions" to curb gun violence. The Vice President announced its recommendations will be presented to the President no later than Tuesday, January 15th. I look forward to carefully reviewing its proposals, and will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind going forward. I encourage you to keep in touch on this issue as proposals evolve in the coming months.

Thanks for sharing your views with me. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me again with any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Jim Cooper
Member of Congress

Sounds like a politician to me... :/