Airsoft

Guest gcrookston

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower
I see a valid application in force on force exercises and presentation/dry firing practice.

I am throwing this very thing around. I've found an airsoft replica of my carry weapon and have thought of buying one to practice with. Just don't know how life like and realistic the replica would be.

I had one freshmen year, one of my buddies in ROTC and I would have battles in my dorm, it was pretty entertaining. The store we got ours from, Knoxville Airsoft, sells the really nice ones and if you spend the money it has the same weight and feel as a real gun, some were even metal. And the have everything from the Desert Eagle, 1911, Glocks to a SAW and "sniper rifles" even Surefire lights for your toys . :rolleyes:

Guest Boomhower

Yeah, I was in there the other day looking for a single shot bolt action rifle for my son. Wasn't interested in spending the money they were asking for a 6 yr. olds toy. They had some pretty cool stuff though.

Guest gcrookston

one of my clients today showed me an airsoft mp40 he'd bought for his son for christmas. I was afraid to ask him what he paid for it, thinking he could of bought something useful for the price.

Guest DonRickles

I know a couple of guys who have some airsoft rifles and get all ninja'd out and go play war games in the woods and beat their chests like they are real men. But guess what? They do not own any real firearms. Give me a F#$king break! Grown men mind you, not 12 year olds. For those people that do actually own and carry real guns I see airsoft as a very valid method of doing some Force on Force training.

Guest Phantom6

The following is an excerpt from an email I received from a fellow inquiring about our firearms classes for his son:

My soon to be 12 yr old son has shown interest this fall in guns and hunting. He is particularly interested in AirSoft of late and we visited the Knoxville store. I came away with the sense that this was a bunch of SWAT Team wannabes playing war games with each other, not something I want to encourage in my son.

For getting into shooting as a sport, Airsoft sux. It is too close to a video game and is a poor trainer for the basic firearms learning experience. Like Nero said however, Airsoft as a training aid for force on force work is a good idea and a whole lot safer than simunitions. That's not what the beginning or even intermediate shooter needs to learn however. As an advanced defensive training aid they can be invaluable in teaching an individual how to use cover and concealment, "slice the pie" etc. The feed back is immediate if a mistake is made and you feel it when the "feed back" in the form of a rapidly moving plastic BB hits you. The quality pistols and rifles are built to the same specs. for weight, size, controls etc. as the real firearms they portray but there is no way to slip live ammo into the training op. Our school is testing a model for a company right now that is a duplicate to a Kimber model and even Kimber shooters that have picked it up and shot it are amazed at how realistic the weight, grip, sights, trigger pull and overall feel are. Without the little orange barrel extension one would be hard pressed to tell it from a real one.

You can buy a real firearm for not much more than the cost of a quality Airsoft piece and to get the full training use of Airsoft you need two so that is pretty steep for practicing presentation drills IMHO.

Guest Jason F.

Good lord do you people not ever do anything just for the fun of it? I swear some of you make it sound like every single object you own has to have the express purpose of making you a more proficient shooter/solider/killer/defender of your home.

We keep a couple of the cheaper airsoft models in the tool box drawers at work. Not for the purpose of some sort of training, simply for the purpose of popping one of the other guys in the butt when they are not looking. Quite simply it is to worth a laugh when you catch a coworker studying a blueprint intently and make them jump a few feet.

Good lord do you people not ever do anything just for the fun of it? I swear some of you make it sound like every single object you own has to have the express purpose of making you a more proficient shooter/solider/killer/defender of your home.

I have two for exactly the purpose of having some fun. Both are cheapies. One is a pistol, the other is a mini machine gun. Fun Fun Fun!!!

Amen...

My kids have airsoft guns and me and my wife love going outside and playing with them. We also play paintball with my in-laws in the woods. We don't do it to keep our "warrior" mind set sharp... we do it just for the fun of it. Same way with video games, cards and monopoly.

Air soft is used by every creditable trainer to train in force on force, point shooting and to work on different techniques. You can use the air soft in a manner you cannot (or should not) use a loaded pistol, such as 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4 hip shooting. It is used in close quarters combat and disarming techniques. Krav Maga trainers use it alot also. Its a great training tool.:rolleyes:

I had a little $10 spring pistol. IT broke after a while.

I had a $15 electric "assault rifle" imitation. I took it apart after the loading tube broke. Hurt pretty bad getting shot with it. Scared the living bajeebus out of the neighbors running around the back yard with a cheap hunk of plastic with some friends. It was fun. That's all I saw it as.

Guest canynracer
Airsoft. And the point to these is?

so you can shoot a goose in the azz for crapping in your yard and not kill it and get fined for hunting out of season...

not that it happened....im just sayin...:rolleyes:

so you can shoot a goose in the azz for crapping in your yard and not kill it and get fined for hunting out of season...

not that it happened....im just sayin...:stunned:

See my squirrel comment back a page or so:D