Two-Way Radio Communications (Basics)

enfield, on 03 Dec 2015 - 3:04 PM, said:

And learn how to use it - what it can and cannot do.  You can't wait for an emergency to turn it on and use it for the first time.

I'll quote this just so I can like it again.

• 3 months later...
This is a great post to get me thinking about a radio again. As with many folks who remember the CB era of the seventies, that's about all I know at this point. The last "upgrade" I had from that entry level of communication was a home based "tuned" Super Star 3900 SSB export radio with a roof mounted whip antenna. Once I had a good skip on SSB from NY to Mississippi. I didn't use it much but liked the fact that I could listen in on a lot and also get out of state regularly if need be. Having the CB frequency available was nice for covering local mobiles. So as being low on the knowledge scale as I am, I think I will still opt for a new Galaxy DX SSB/AM/CB mobile unit and set it up as before with a good antenna as high as I can mount it. The hard part is finding some one who I can trust to upgrade the internals to perform as well as it can in the coming SHTF situations. Also part of all this effort is making a faraday cage that can be simply built around the disconnected small unit to guard it from EMP effects. Im sure there are smarter ways to go about all this as posted above but this was an easy thing to absorb for the old breaker 19 days....mentality! Otherwise I would need a blanket and a fire as back up also :) Edited by xtriggerman

It only takes a few hours to earn a Technician License and the equipment is very affordable.  Most areas have ham clubs which are happy to introduce others to amateur radio.

AK4SZ

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 1

It only takes a few hours to earn a Technician License and the equipment is very affordable.  Most areas have ham clubs which are happy to introduce others to amateur radio.

AK4SZ

Yeah, your probably right and I toyed with the idea of getting a License once but for what little use it would get the ambition never materialized. If I did go that route, I think I would look at those Stryker 10 meter mobile sets. With 70 watts PEP in their smaller mobile sets (about $300), that would be plenty for a home base set with a 110V to 12v regulated power supply converter (I already have). Reason being, When things get ugly, 12v is the way to go. You can always hump up a 12v system from junk parts. To up convert 110v from a 12v battery set, you get a pretty fast drain unless you have a dedicated battery bank of a proper size. 12v should always be your fall back power source.

Hospitals are a funny thing, they fix you up only to kill you with out of network bills!  Hopefully, I'll get something wired up by the end of they year. 

Most of the time the 10 meter band is relatively dead. If you want reliable communications out to 500 miles or so, you'd want to be on 40 meters or lower. Your $300 could be better spent IMO.

For local comms, vhf/uhf is the way to go. Edited by enfield

I see even the $25 VHF/UHF Baufeng handi has to be connected to a computer to program frequencies.

I have a couple of the inexpensive Baofeng Ham radios and a solar charger for them in my bug-out bag.  The programming software makes setting them up a lot easier/faster, and I picked up the software and cable for around $9 on EBay.  All things considered, pretty economical back-up comms in an emergency.

KK4LNX

Edited by JPS
You can program the Baofeng without a computer, I've done with one of mine. My Icom ID-51a as well. The computer just makes programming easy, especially if you have big fingers like me. I have programmed the same 25 frequencies, 2 meter and 440 that are used in my area, on all three of my radios.
  • 2 weeks later...

(Well, I typed out quite a bit, hit backspace and it caused web page to go back, clearing all I typed :wall: , so I'll try again...)

Kinda funny, I just started looking at the Baofeng's on Amazon last night and been researching ever since, except for catching some Zzzz's. I am on a budget but my plan so far is to get one of the Baosfeng's($25-$62), study and get license. I was thinking about UV-82(accessories?) for starts but might just get the UV-82HP as I've read the antenna is quite good that comes with it and might be worth the extra $$ in long run or is there a newer better option for my plan? I do plan on getting radio first and just receive until I get license to have in case. Are there any ways to temporarily lock the radio to receive only so not to accidentally hit transmit or anything similar while listening? 

I am basically looking at SHTF situations for now but who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it more so...

Edited by MountainDewed
  • 1 year later...
On 3/14/2016 at 11:25 AM, JPS said:

I see even the $25 VHF/UHF Baufeng handi has to be connected to a computer to program frequencies.

I have a couple of the inexpensive Baofeng Ham radios and a solar charger for them in my bug-out bag.  The programming software makes setting them up a lot easier/faster, and I picked up the software and cable for around $9 on EBay.  All things considered, pretty economical back-up comms in an emergency.

KK4LNX

Still be a good idea to figure out the manual programming, print it out, laminate, and put 2-3 copies in the BOB just in case. I'm doing as much of that as I can pre-move. Having an array of differing radios, it is a challenge.

SWC

• 1 month later...

I got my General license about 10 years ago.  I quickly put together a field rig and bought a couple of mobiles and handhelds.  The field rig doesn't need to be fancy or expensive; it basically consists of a mobile with 2m / 70cm band capability, a power inverter, a battery and a roll-up antenna.

I can't say the ham bug really bit me, since I rarely did more than get on the 2m band and talk to buddies around town on repeaters, and since I sold my car that had the mobile installed, I haven't even done that.   However, I learned the basics of how to use repeaters and how to behave on nets, as well as the actual real-world capabilities of my gear.  

As much as some of us spend on gun and gear, ham radio is a shockingly affordable hobby and there are many facets to it which should interest most everyone.   If you're interested in getting licensed, I strongly suggest dragging a couple of buddies along so that you'll have someone to talk to.

After the morse code requirement was removed from amateur radio licenses, it's not difficult to enter the world of amateur communications.

In two weekends I obtained a Technician License.  A few more weekends resulted in passing the General Exam.  However, preparing for the Extra Exam took quite a bit more effort.

AK4SZ

On 3/27/2016 at 3:12 PM, MountainDewed said:

(Well, I typed out quite a bit, hit backspace and it caused web page to go back, clearing all I typed :wall: , so I'll try again...)

Kinda funny, I just started looking at the Baofeng's on Amazon last night and been researching ever since, except for catching some Zzzz's. I am on a budget but my plan so far is to get one of the Baosfeng's($25-$62), study and get license. I was thinking about UV-82(accessories?) for starts but might just get the UV-82HP as I've read the antenna is quite good that comes with it and might be worth the extra $$ in long run or is there a newer better option for my plan? I do plan on getting radio first and just receive until I get license to have in case. Are there any ways to temporarily lock the radio to receive only so not to accidentally hit transmit or anything similar while listening? 

I am basically looking at SHTF situations for now but who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it more so...

I just ordered the Baofeng Uv-82HP from Amazon.  50 bucks including all the accessories plus same day delivery!  It includes the cable and software for programming, so I need to do some research today to see whats available in my area (Goodlettsville, right outside Nashville, near Hendersonville).  I will get my licence(s) asap, but will just listen after I program it until I am legal. I've long wanted into HAM radio, so if I like it as much as I expect I weill, i'll get more radios as i grow into it. Anyone in this area have any suggestions on the exams and classes and frequencies?