Semi-Auto Shotgun for under $500

macville

So I am looking to buy a semi-auto shotgun for under $500 and looking to see what people suggest. It seems when I look at brands I know, they are all over $800. Looking for 12ga, pistol grip, around 20" barrel, and probably a synthetic stock. Any suggestions on what I should look at.

There are allot of new Turkish made auto's out right now that fit your bill. The Tri Star Raptor ATAC and some from Linberta (Bud's).

I bought a Tri Star Raptor from Academy for a great price. I have only had it a few weeks and it fires standard and high recoil shells fine. I have been starting to work on it for low recoil (Target Bulk) shells. Both of these shotguns are modeled after Benelli/Beretta's and use their chokes.

my used 1100 was under 300 and has served me very well.   IMHO 500 is a pretty good budget for a shotgun, you should be able to find a nice one with that, with enough left over for some customization like a bigger mag tube or the like.  The pistol grip is going to cost you whether you do it yourself after or it comes on it....

Edited by Jonnin
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, after looking through the suggestions in here, I am changing my criteria some. While I would like a semi auto with a pistol grip, I am finding that most major brands allow for a stock change (not sure why I didn't think they couldn't!)

So I am looking for more suggestions on semi autos that would be under $500 (new or used) that are decent quality (I know I am asking for quality at a lower price point, but that's why I am also looking at used.

I currently have these on my radar:

Mossberg 930

Stoeger 3000/3500 (read that the finish isn't as good on these guns though)

Remington 1100

Beretta 3901

Beretta A300

Franchi I-12 (though I wanted less recoil vs a pump and this is a gassless system which has the same kick)

I currently have a Remington 870 that has worked flawlessly, so I am kinda thinking of spending a little more than $500 and getting an 1100. But the 930 is also nice gun too. I think I may be able to find a synthetic 1100 closer to my price range because there seem to just be a lot more on the market due to remington having sold more so far. But I am open to any more suggestions or good places to look for used shotguns.

I have a mossberg 935 and I love it! I use it for duck/turkey hunting and sometimes other game. The one I have is a 26" barrel with a +5 mag extension. I know you would be looking more at a 930 for your needs but they are mechanically almost identical(3" vs 3.5" chamber). I would highly recommend this firearm. It may not have the fit and finish as some of the higher end semi's but when you pull the trigger it goes bang and that fits my needs. Hope this helps.

I really like the 1100's, I have two of them, 12 and 28 gauge. Both perform flawlessly.. an 1100 12 gauge used to sell for 400-450, don't have a clue what they are going for now.

I found a lightly used 1100 magnum for 450.00 recently. Nice guns.

• Like 1

Just to add to the mix - I have bought 2 (different) Browning Auto-5 12 gauge shotguns in the last year, each for under $500 (one was $300 from Gunbroker and the other $200 from Hero Gear in Winchester). Only thing is that some work is required to make them reliable enough to shoot - new springs and the like (not a surprise since one is circa WWII and the other early 50's). Of course finding things like pistol-grip stocks for them is another matter, entirely!

I can't help it, I just LOVE these guns!!! One I would like to black-out and turn into a zombie killer. I know, its a sickness, somebody help me! 

Edited by MarkInNashville
  • Like 1

Ideally it would be used for skeet and home defense more than anything. I have a pump already that if I wanted to hunt, I'd probably use that.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to look besides online since I am not finding a ton of used stuff online for a reasonable price? should I be looking at pawn shops (I always think of them having more handguns than anything) or other places which might have used guns?