Justified!

23472.jpg

If you’re not watching the new season of Justified (Tuesdays at 10 on FX), you’re missing the best crime series on TV and what may be about to become one of the genuinely great crime series of all time. For me, most TV shows reach their highest level in the first year. Stories have a theme. The theme works itself out in the first year. Everything else is a sequel, second best. Sometimes by the fourth year a new theme is discovered and the show gets a second wind, but it’s still rarely as good as that first season. Dexter and The Wire, two great shows, come to mind as examples.

But while the first three seasons of Justified have been distinguished by terrific acting, spectacular dialogue, excellent characters and moments of violence that were terrifying without being unnecessarily disgusting (usually), the year-long arcs of the plots have not been as great as the rest of the package. The show is inspired by an Elmore Leonard short story, and while Leonard’s genius for dialogue and his hilarious and realistic approach to human corruption are what inform the show at its best, his satiric and sometimes rambling plotting doesn’t translate that well to TV.(Or maybe it’s just that he’s not writing the show — though the creator Graham Yost has channeled him wonderfully.)

In its first two episodes, however, this season looks to me to have moved to an even higher level. The yearlong plot, which involves the unearthing of a long-lost messenger bag, is inherently compelling and makes a great hook on which to hang the sub-plots. And the main characters seem to have found themselves in ways that give them fresh life. The appealing out-of-his-time hero Raylan Givens (played with a pitch-perfect blend of irony and valor by Timothy Olyphant) is in a relationship with a barmaid that promises some really interesting complications, especially as his ex is about to give birth to their child. The small-town gangster Boyd Crowder (played by The Shield‘s Walton Goggins, one of the best actors on TV, if not the best) is now in a relationship with his widowed sister-in-law Ava (played by the excellent and heart-meltingly beautiful Joelle Carter) that is as genuinely affectionate and touching as it is murderous and corrupt. Nick Searcy’s perfectly played Chief, world-weary but compassionate, is struggling with retirement. And all the new characters — a tent preacher, a constable, the barmaid’s ex — look to be richly drawn and promising.

Really, watching the first two episodes was bliss.

The second golden age of American crime writing, which lived in the novel during the 80′s and 90′s, has moved to television. Justified is an excellent part of that excellent trend and just seems to be getting better.

My 3 favorite Raylan quotes:

Season 1 - whacks Dewey in the mouth w/ the shotgun and tells him "Oulaw life's hard ain't it? You should've stuck to something safe, like poaching gators."

Season 3 - he throws the bullet onto Duffy's chest and says "The next one's coming faster."

Season 4 - The fugitve in the vehicle with the revolver and it ain't the first time he's had a gun pointed at him, Raylan says "No, but it could be your last."

They're priceless!!

Art has some good ones too, though. But, Boyd is the best written character on the show. You never know what's he'll do.

My 3 favorite Raylan quotes:

Season 1 - whacks Dewey in the mouth w/ the shotgun and tells him "Oulaw life's hard ain't it? You should've stuck to something safe, like poaching gators."

Season 3 - he throws the bullet onto Duffy's chest and says "The next one's coming faster."

Season 4 - The fugitve in the vehicle with the revolver and it ain't the first time he's had a gun pointed at him, Raylan says "No, but it could be your last."

They're priceless!!

Art has some good ones too, though. But, Boyd is the best written character on the show. You never know what's he'll do.

I think the best one this season was when Art told them they were going to get lunch first, "In case you shoot somebody."

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was kinda hoping this episode would follow the book since it was following it somewhat closely. Jodie thinks he is the better man and no one is a cowboy draw so he dresses up as a woman to try and get the drop on him.

Yeah. That sucked about Arlo. It was impressive the length he went to keep that secret though. I have a feeling that even though he is gone, his story is far from over.

I don't know if they will make him a hero or something for keeping the secret, but I think it will affect Raylan.

What if it is Shelby?

I am certain of it after some thought. His wife left him 25 years ago (but why did he still have her clothes, that is a hole) and he is asking too many questions.

I think he goes and kills the widow now. Since she could identify him. Then Raylan's aunt said that she last saw him rubbing elbows with the big wigs, which could mean a lawman, which Shelby was in the past.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 1

What if it is Shelby?

I am certain of it after some thought. His wife left him 25 years ago (but why did he still have her clothes, that is a hole) and he is asking too many questions.

I think he goes and kills the widow now. Since she could identify him. Then Raylan's aunt said that she last saw him rubbing elbows with the big wigs, which could mean a lawman, which Shelby was in the past.

If im not mistaken they did say that he was a law man thats why Raylan went to see Shelby to see if he knew him.

What if it is Shelby?

Same idea hit me last night too. They swept all that up into a neat little pile for us last night. Either it's him or they're using misdirection. I think Raylan will figure it out and let him run off with Ellie May.

Damn, Raylan put that hit man down with a quickness last night, didn't he? That was freakin' awesome.
  • Like 1

Same idea hit me last night too. They swept all that up into a neat little pile for us last night. Either it's him or they're using misdirection. I think Raylan will figure it out and let him run off with Ellie May.

Damn, Raylan put that hit man down with a quickness last night, didn't he? That was freakin' awesome.

that was pretty dang awesome. Boyd looked like he was going to crap. He had already been on the opposite end of that quick draw.

that was pretty dang awesome. Boyd looked like he was going to crap. He had already been on the opposite end of that quick draw.

He may be one of the few men above ground that Raylan's drawn down on and lived to see another day.