.22 s&w opinions please

spikehunter

I'm looking to get a decent semi auto .22 for plinking postly, but would like to have the ability to put a dot scope on it also. I'm mostly interested in the S&W 22a. Does anyone have experience with one. Also looking at the ruger mk II/III and buckmark. I would prefer to keep this purchase to less than 300ish bucks tho, but I'm open minded.

I bought a 22A and sold it as a project after it would not make it through a single magazine. I called S&W to send it in for repair and they had me do a bunch of stuff to it. And none of their recommendations helped at all. I struggled through 500 rounds for the break in but it only got worse as time went on. Mine may have been a fluke because I have friends who really like theirs. But for the money a user Ruger is hard to beat.

For not a lot more you can find a used Ruger MKII. The Rugers are 100% steel and will out last you. There are plenty of aftermarket support as well as Ruger's warranty service. I had one that had over 100,000 rounds through it and other than the occassional cleaning it needed nothing.

You can find a new Ruger 22/45 for ~$300 as well. I have two of those and they are great. You can even find them threaded from the factory in case you ever get a suppressor.

I recently bought a gently used SR22 for $250. The seller said he shot 40 rounds through it and put it away. It is one of the most reliable guns I have shot. It runs supersonics and subsonics equally well. It is also very, very accurate for such a small pistol. The only drawback for me is the safety is backwards. You have to push it up to disengage it. You can find used ones regularly for $300.

Brads to avoid if you shoot a lot would be the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito. I have shot the P22 and had the sights fly off. The Sig has a 10K-15K round lifespan and that is coming from Sig engineers. That is about a 6 month lifespan for me. I am also cautious with S&W because their engineers told me that they will last forever. I know that is not the case and would have appreciated and honest answer.

If I had to pick a single 22 pistol it would be a all steel Ruger MKII. Well that or my suppressed Cricket.

Dolomite

+1 on the 22A.

I've got two of them (22A & 22S) and as long as the buffer is in good shape, you use good ammo and you keep it resonably clean it will preform great, at least mine have for me. I did come across a defective magazine that gave me some problems but that's pretty much it.

Might look at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ for opinions too.

Edited by kieefer

I've actually had good luck with my S&W 22A. I still prefer my Rugers, but the 22A has been a good gun for me without any problems. The only complaint I have about the 22A is the ergonomics of the grip. Otherwise, it's a lightweight, accurate pistol that is easy to shoot. Obviously others have had issues, but I think there are a few lemons amongst all gun models.

I have a 22A and I also have a Buckmark.  Both perform well with any ammo.  I couldn't say one is any more reliable than the other.  Both have had thousands of rounds through them without any problems and I usually shoot both when I go to the range.  I am more consistantly accurate with the 22A.  I think the 22A is a better buy but I like both of them.     

+1 on the Rugers. The Mkiii and SR22 have both been very good to me. Both very accurate and have fed everything I've run through them. The MK comes drilled and tapped and come with a section of rail to mount your optic if choice. A sound investment.

I almost posted the review I did on the Model 41 and Mark III, then I reread the OP and saw the price range and realized that my post wouldn't be applicable; the Model 41 costs more than $300.  However, you can get a Ruger at that price.

I agree with Dolomite on a Ruger Mark II (III in my case) as being my choice for a single 22 pistol.  I would seriously look at a Ruger, even the Mark IIIs, which some don't like.  They are absolute tanks, and incredibly accurate.  A lot of them can be set up to use a scope.  If you ever decide you want to customize it, there are tons of aftermarket parts available for it.

Definite +1 on the Rugers. I've got a couple and find them fun to shoot, accurate, and reliable.

For more information on 22 pistols, try pm'img gracrait here on the forum. I won't say he will awnser all your questions, but he is very knowledgable on the caliber, and will probably offer advice if he has the time and you ask nicely.

have had all 3 (buckmark, 22a, and mark 2) and all 3 are great guns.   The ruger is the best made.  All 3 may or may not be set up for optics --- depends on model specifics and when it was made, all 3 COULD be ready to go or they could need a gunsmith to install a rail or something.

There is nothing wrong with the 22a for accuracy or anything.  Its just not as rugged as the others.  I shot many rounds thru mine and it never had the first issue.  I wore out the recoil buffer (a 10 cent part) a few times, but those are made to be replaced.

And, above me, is my old 22a --- glad you are still enjoying it K.

Edited by Jonnin

if you want a smith...search for a used 422... i have the 6 inch one and its a good lil gun... the action is butter and its an older smith...i think the older ones are just made better than the new stuff with lock and what not 

my biggest complaint about the ruger is the way the magazine release is on the bottom of some models. I have shot my dads many times, but it is an older one. Which models have the release next to the trigger guard?  

sweet smiths kieefer

I do really like the looks of those stainless slab side rugers tho. nice gun

Edited by spikehunter

In order, my recommendations.

1) Best bang for your buck is a Ruger MKIII 22/45 which can be had any normal place for about 320.00 OTD for a 5.5 or 4" bull barrel model. I would buy a used MKI or MKII also, hard to shoot these guns apart. Next step of from a Ruger  series is a S&W 41 at 3 or 4 times the price of a Ruger. Next would IMHO be a Benelli MP95.

2) Buckmarks are generally more expensive for the base models vs Ruger, are harder to find generally, and have less aftermarket available but are very good guns.

3) S&W 22.  They work and shoot well with little aftermarket, but they have a big grip if this is a gun a woman may also be shooting.

4) Ruger SR22, small fun plinker with no real aftermarket, sized about like the  below Walther but no zinc alloy.

5) Walther P22, nice fun plinker, but I never liked the zinc alloy parts and the safety is kind of cheap in my opionion.

6) Used  S&W 622, 422 or 2206.  The 2206 is all steel the other two have two different colored aluminum frames.  EWK Arms makes aftermarket for these.  The OEM firing pins are this gun's achilles heel if there is one.  Great suppressor host. Complete disassembly is a chore.

7)  Used Sig Trailside.  This is sort of a specialty gun that takes some care, but is ergonomically pleasant and accurate.

8) Fun  is a Beretta Bobcat in .22LR.  The only reason I own it is because they don't make a Keltec P32 in .22LR

9) Taurus PLY22, the poly framed one, not the metal Taurus P22 (I shot one of those apart).  The PLY22 fills the hand and is small deadly and fun gun to shoot.  Patterned after the Bobcat. 

Summary:  With a bit of trigger work and the right grip the Ruger mechanically can rival most any target pistol in the sub-1000.00 category if you can hold it.  It will likely shoot a million or more rounds and there is a lot of aftermarket.

NOTES: 

1. I did not omit the Sig Mosquito by accident.  You literally couldn't give me one of those.  I hate that gun.  I like the feel in the hand but the amount of pot metal and the way the trigger is designed - how could Sig stamp their name on that gun? I have completely disassembled two, again, what were the designers thinking?  Been there done that and ain't going back. 

2.  The ISSC M22, even though it looks kind of like a Glock, doesn't make it one.    Been there done that and ain't going back.

3.  There are a lot of older High Standards out there that are excellent, and in a new facility are currently being made at high dollar prices.  Some High Standards can be had for around 300.00 but do some research on mags, etc first.

4.  Browning Challengers in models I, II or III are out there too in the used market.  The Buckmark is their offspring. Research before you buy.

5.  Colt Woodsman was the Browning Challenger's father I believe off the top of my head. Research before you buy.

6. GSG and or Sig 1911 .22.  I have shot these guns, think they are cool but won't own one personally for no good reason.  If you are a 1911 guy and want a fun suppressor host this a fun gun.

7.  I am not a fan of the Advantage Arms conversions for Glocks.  I have personally owned 5 AA conversions for Glocks over the years.  Been there done that and ain't going back.

my biggest complaint about the ruger is the way the magazine release is on the bottom of some models. I have shot my dads many times, but it is an older one. Which models have the release next to the trigger guard?  

sweet smiths kieefer

I do really like the looks of those stainless slab side rugers tho. nice gun

I think only the mark 1 had the heel release.  I think all mark 2 and 3 have a RHO release instead.  So, indeed your dad's is older and those are worth a bit to collectors now. 

The default 22 S&W grip is not huge.  The target grip is quite big, however.  MY aggravation with the 22a was a slight cant for right handed shooters that make the gun very odd for a lefty.   I dunno if that was just mine, or the a/s variation,  or what, but it is why I sold it.  It had a friendly ambi mag release in the center of the grip facing forward.

Other than that detail, I agree 100% with grey's excellent breakdown. 

I would add to the list a SA .22 revolver.   Mine is an older ruger blackhawk style single six in 22  with a 22 mag cylinder.   The newer ones are single 10s that hold more shots.   For a fair price you get an amazing trigger and accuracy out of a good revolver.  Out of the box the trigger is going to be close to a very expensive .22 auto, like the model 41 etc quality.  Out of the box, the accuracy is going to be just as good.  Its not for the competitions --- those have speed stages that require an auto, really --- but for just learning to shoot and a high quality target pistol, cant beat it.

Edited by Jonnin

I recently bought a gently used SR22 for $250. The seller said he shot 40 rounds through it and put it away. It is one of the most reliable guns I have shot. It runs supersonics and subsonics equally well. It is also very, very accurate for such a small pistol. The only drawback for me is the safety is backwards. You have to push it up to disengage it. You can find used ones regularly for $300.

Dolomite

Just took our new SR22 to the range this past weekend. It ran 100% on super cheap ammo and was very accurate. I was extremely pleased considering how inexpensive they are.  The safety annoys me as well, but since I won't be using it for self-defense I'm not overly concerned about trying to train for speed with it.

My Mark II also has a heel release.  What's the big deal if you're just going to use it for plinking?  We're not doing tactical reloads with those pistols.  Now, if you are thinking of shooting some steel plate comps, then yeah, you should look at something with a thumb release.

Its just a new skill.  I can jockey a heel release better than I can a RHO one, being left handed.  I learned it on a makarov and I can change the mag in that gun very quickly.  Its not that you can't do a heel fast, its just going to take more practice.

----------

[quote] Just took our new SR22 to the range this past weekend. It ran 100% on super cheap ammo and was very accurate. I was extremely pleased considering how inexpensive they are.  The safety annoys me as well, but since I won't be using it for self-defense I'm not overly concerned about trying to train for speed with it. [/quote]

Those are nice guns.  They are not target pistols, the trigger isnt possible to make them into such, but they are well made and fine pistols.  My hands are too big to enjoy the frame, but its perfect for a kid or folks with smaller hands.

Edited by Jonnin

Not a fan of the Ruger because it is hard to breakdown/assemble and maintain.  Other than that, it is a great pistol. 

The SW 22A is an easy gun to operate and clean.  The ammo for this gun can cause problems.  It likes the cheap stuff.  Get the round nose lead or jacketed ammo.  CCI will work great also as long as it is not the hollow point.  A lot of the 22 pistols have a inset punched in the magazine to lock it into the pistol.  The hollow point ammo hangs on this inset.  This is a problem on a lot of 22 rifles and pistols.  I did a little research on the web and tested this on the range.  Gun ran like a chap with the right ammo.  That being said, I will get a lot of emails that say "it should run all ammo, you life could depend on it".   It's a range gun,  If you are picking up the 22 as your first choice of weapon to protect yourself from an intruder,  you're probably going the shoot your foot anyway....  Sorry.

I vote Ruger.  I own a Ruger MkII 4" Bull barrel target pistol that is a pleasure to shoot!  Yes they are hard to breakdown the first couple of times, but once you get used to it, it's no hard to take apart than anything else.  I would watch a couple of Youtube vids.  They help a lot!!!  The old High Standards are quality pistols as well as are the Colt Woodsman.  And you can't beat a Ruger Single Six (single action revolver) for pure fun.  Even the Heritage Arms Single Actions are great fun to shoot.  Not the best made, but they are only half the price of a Single Six, as well.  I also like the Berreta 21A, though I think it's a little too thick in the grip for proper pocket carry.