Mounting a Light on a Mossberg 590 - Updated first post with pics!

pattywak

I realize I'm a little late to the party, but just found this thread. I have a Surefire G2X mounted to my Winchester 1300 Defender with a CDM Gear MOD-C clamp. I'm very happy with the clamp and love the clean, uncluttered looks. Here's a few pics ...

MyWin1300Defender05.JPG

MyWin1300Defender06.JPG

MyWin1300Defender07.JPG

MyWin1300Defender16.JPG

Edited by 10P8TRIOT
Replaced photobucket links

Still working on the pics of what a light mounted under barrel will look like. Having a hard time capturing the right shot. Get it to ya soon!

No rush, thank you! 

I realize I'm a little late to the party, but just found this thread. I have a Surefire G2X mounted to my Winchester 1300 Defender with a CDM Gear MOD-C clamp. I'm very happy with the clamp and love the clean, uncluttered looks. Here's a few pics ...

MyWin1300Defender05.jpg

MyWin1300Defender06.jpg

MyWin1300Defender07.jpg

MyWin1300Defender16.jpg

Thank you for the pictures! One reason I want to go with the CDM gear mount is that I love the way it looks. One question though, how do you activate the light? Do you use your thumb? Or just click it on and leave it on? It seems to be a long way away from the pump to reach with your thumb. How close could you move the mount to the pump?

Edited by pattywak

No rush, thank you! 

Thank you for the pictures! One reason I want to go with the CDM gear mount is that I love the way it looks. One question though, how do you activate the light? Do you use your thumb? Or just click it on and leave it on? It seems to be a long way away from the pump to reach with your thumb. How close could you move the mount to the pump?

With my hand on the pump, I can easily reach the switch with my thumb extended toward the target. But I have long thumbs. As you can see, I have the light mounted near the business end of the barrel, but the switch is about 2" from the pump (3rd picture). You can always mount the light a little further back, but you might introduce some barrel shadow. With the Surefire, you lock the light on with a twist of the last inch of the light housing. Depending on the situation, I have the option of leaving the light on or pressing the switch to turn it on and releasing to turn it off.

• Like 1

I'm also looking for a light for my hd shotgun, I have been looking at these

Specs:

Output â€“ 110 lumens

Length – 4.375”
Width – 1.125”
Height – 1.125” 
Weight – 0.5 lbs.

Batteries – 3 AAA batteries

2865566Side600x600Web.jpg

I have one of their handgun lights and love it so far. It is a laser and a light, it comes with a remote pressure switch and a tailcap switch.  Walmart has these for 55 dollars or you can find them cheaper online.  I will probably get one from Walmart and try it out and if its crap I will return it. Ya it's not surefire or streamlight but I'm not Military or police either. 

Edited by tennessee01tacoma
  • Like 1

With my hand on the pump, I can easily reach the switch with my thumb extended toward the target. But I have long thumbs. As you can see, I have the light mounted near the business end of the barrel, but the switch is about 2" from the pump (3rd picture). You can always mount the light a little further back, but you might introduce some barrel shadow. With the Surefire, you lock the light on with a twist of the last inch of the light housing. Depending on the situation, I have the option of leaving the light on or pressing the switch to turn it on and releasing to turn it off.

Ah okay, thanks for the response. How has the light held up to the recoil? While doing some research, a lot of people don't recommend hand held lights to be put on shotguns because of the recoil beating the lights up. Do you take it off when you shoot the gun at the range? 

I'm also looking for a light for my hd shotgun, I have been looking at these

Specs:

Output â€“ 110 lumens

Length – 4.375”
Width – 1.125”
Height – 1.125” 
Weight – 0.5 lbs.

Batteries – 3 AAA batteries

I have one of their handgun lights and love it so far. It is a laser and a light, it comes with a remote pressure switch and a tailcap switch.  Walmart has these for 55 dollars or you can find them cheaper online.  I will probably get one from Walmart and try it out and if its crap I will return it. Ya it's not surefire or streamlight but I'm not Military or police either. 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into this brand! 

Ah okay, thanks for the response. How has the light held up to the recoil? While doing some research, a lot of people don't recommend hand held lights to be put on shotguns because of the recoil beating the lights up. Do you take it off when you shoot the gun at the range? 

I have heard the same recommendation and there is probably some truth to it. The Surefire G2X was not designed for weapons mounting. If I'm heading to the range to shoot a handful of 00, I leave the light mounted. But, if I'm going to put some serious numbers down range, I'll take the light off. My son and some of his buddies have a big shoot-out a couple times a year. One of the "events" is trap shooting. The only requirement is to bring a box of clays, a shotgun with a barrel between 18"-20" and some brrd shot. Big fun!

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that my flashlight is no longer on my shotgun ... my AR-15 "borrowed" it.

MyAR15_22.JPG

I am going to buy another G2X for my shotgun. I think it's one of the best values in tactical flashlights.

Output: 200 lumens

Length: 5.2"

Barrel Dia: 1.00"

Bezel Dia: 1.25"

Weight: 4.4 oz

Price: $61 at B&H (2xCR123A batteries included)

Edited by 10P8TRIOT
Replaced photobucket link