Weak response from Senator Jim Cooper

Dear  Mr. Schroer:

Thank you for contacting me about legislation to ban certain types of firearms and ammunition. I appreciate hearing your perspective and am happy to respond.

December's horrific school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut left twenty innocent children and six brave adults dead. This tragedy has rightly focused our attention on what we can do to prevent violence like this in the future, and I am willing to consider any proposal that will keep our children safe, regardless of politics. Nothing is more important.

President Obama has appointed the Vice President to lead a task force charged with proposing "concrete solutions" to curb gun violence. The Vice President announced its recommendations will be presented to the President no later than Tuesday, January 15 th . I look forward to carefully reviewing its proposals, and will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind going forward. I encourage you to keep in touch on this issue as proposals evolve in the coming months.

Thanks for sharing your views with me. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me again with any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
cooper-signature.gif 
Jim Cooper
Member of Congress

I got the same, and here's MY reply to his reply:

Sir,
"Consider any proposal" to keep our children safe?  Come on, Congressman.  Are you that out of touch with those you represent?  All of this hoopla about assault weapons and magazine capacity has absolutely NOTHING to do with keeping our children safe at all.  

Despite our political difference, I never thought you wee unintelligent, just misguided.  Please don't insult my or anyone else's intelligence by pretending that any of this is for any reason other than the first step in circumventing the 2nd Amendment.

Why do we allow parking lots at bars, that enables people to drunk drive?  Why do we allow commercials on TV that promote eating unhealthy food that promotes obesity in children?  Why do we allow movies and video games that are chock full of graphic violence?  The list is endless...

If you truly want to do something, go after these things, Mr Congressman. But eventually you will run out of things to blame, then what?>  Or better yet, how about promoting self responsibility for people instead of blaming something or somebody else?  THAT'S a novel concept, isn't it?  Leave our 2nd Amendment alone!  The American people, and particularly Tennesseans, will draw a line in the sand over this issue. Get on the right side of it.

Sincerely,

John Alexander

"A veteran, whether active duty or guard or reserve, is someone who, at one part in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount up to and including their life." 

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963)

• Like 4

these people don't or won't take the time to learn anything.  I am pretty sure they want to set policy from what they see on tv news networks.

Of course this is what the masses prefer anyway so don't expect people like Cooper to change.

The people who keep Cooper in office are the welfare leeches that will never vote him out as long as he can keep them firmly attached to the government tit! The rest of us that he represents are just ignored because he doesn't need us. He's a Vandy grad who thinks that he knows whats best for us and will never open his mind to ideas that are opposed to those of the Democratic leadership in DC. Canned responses are probably the best we can ever expect from him. Logic and common sense are not something that can ever be expected from him.

• Like 1
Guest jeannen

Worse, I think.  They already know what they want to do and have just been waiting for an excuse to do it.

these people don't or won't take the time to learn anything.  I am pretty sure they want to set policy from what they see on tv news networks.

Of course this is what the masses prefer anyway so don't expect people like Cooper to change.

Got the same response. It is a passive, yet complete disregard for the rights of all U.S. citizens. Remember this in November 2014!!!!!! We will all have to be wise in how we act, tell our story better, and work hard to campaign against this type of "representative".
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
different response from cooper today:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding possible firearms legislation in Congress.

I share your concerns because I am a gun owner and, like tens of thousands of Tennesseans, have a carry permit. Like you, I know many law enforcement officers who risk their lives every day for our protection. And we all have families whom we love dearly and whom we want to keep safe from violence.

It is too early to say what gun legislation will move through Congress. The President is pushing Congress to act, as you probably heard him say in his State of the Union Address, saying that each of several different ways to reduce gun violence deserves a vote. He mentioned more background checks, stopping straw purchases of guns for criminals, and keeping our police officers from being outgunned. He said that "Each of these proposals deserves a vote in Congress." He did not try to tell anyone how to vote.

I think the President is generally on the right track with this approach. More background checks are particularly interesting because the National Rifle Association has supported them in the past, a poll indicates that 74% of current NRA members support them, and the Republican Leader in the House, Rep. Eric Cantor, recently said that background checks need to be stronger. Apparently 40% of gun sales today involve no background check. Because Republicans schedule all the votes in the House, Cantor's comment could be significant.

The Feinstein bill to ban the future manufacture of certain types of "assault weapons" has received most of the media's attention, but Senator Feinstein has expressed doubts about whether her bill could pass the Senate. House passage would be even more difficult, according to most observers. No one is seriously proposing banning or confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens.

I will do my best to study any pending legislation and to vote in accordance with the U.S. Constitution that I am sworn to uphold, including, of course, the Second Amendment. My guess is that no votes will occur until this summer.

Let's stay in touch as the issue advances. Thanks again for taking the time to share your views with me.

Sincerely,
Jim Cooper
Member of Congress"

I got the same letter today. I am disappointed.

In his most recent letter to us, he has no mention of mag limitations. I'll take that obvious omission to mean that he will support laws against magazines if they come up, but he will avoid the stance until he is forced to vote.

It is pretty safe to say he is for mucking up private transfers.

This whole letter lacks any positive identification of his position. Where are his principles and his backbone? I would respect him more if he would just come out and say what he felt instead of waiting until the laws come up for votes.

This is just as weak as the first letter he put out. And what happened to the  "proposal that will keep our children safe" as was aforementioned in his first letter? The real issue has kind of died off hasn't it?

He says he will support the constitution. I don't understand how the words "shall not be infringed" can be reinterpreted. We should be discussing  overturning laws that infringe on that clear right, not discussing new laws that infringe more.

Jim, you are going to have to do better if you want our votes!

Aaron

• Like 1