IDIOTS Open Carry ARs in Portland

• Administrator

If you're scaring people, you're not advancing your cause.

That was a direct quote from a citizen in the news report and I absolutely, 100% agree with him.  This is exactly why I've been saying we need to use wisdom when it comes to the proposed "million gun marches" and other nonsense like that.  It all absolutely plays into the hands of the media, and it scares the sheep.  To paraphrase a line from Jurassic Park, people have become so worried about whether they can do something, they don't stop and think about whether they should do it.

No amount of carrying rifles around in public is going to have a positive influence on the fence sitters who vote and sway them "our" way.  It will most certainly polarize them, but it's going to send them right into the camp of voting against rather than for the preservation of the Second Amendment.  Those two likely inspired a lot of people to consider tighter restrictions on firearms in Portland, Oregon.  Way to go, fucktards.

• Like 6

I am really torn on this one.  At this moment in time, it absolutely hurts us, that I agree with.   However,  I also half agree with those who do such things --- it should not be scary because people should have guns in public often and regular enough that it is no big deal.   It used to be that way -- a boy used to walk around with a rifle and not get a second glance.   I would see the return of that mentality, but there is a time for all things, and now is not that time.

• Administrator

it should not be scary because people should have guns in public often and regular enough that it is no big deal

People need to work within the framework of reality, though.  The reality is that seeing a guy with a rifle slung over his back walking around in public is not normal in the United States and draws unwanted attention.  It does nothing to advance the cause and is just more Public Relations suicide by people with good intentions, bent on paving the path to hell for the rest of us.

• Like 4

That was a direct quote from a citizen in the news report and I absolutely, 100% agree with him.  This is exactly why I've been saying we need to use wisdom when it comes to the proposed "million gun marches" and other nonsense like that.  It all absolutely plays into the hands of the media, and it scares the sheep.  To paraphrase a line from Jurassic Park, people have become so worried about whether they can do something, they don't stop and think about whether they should do it.

No amount of carrying rifles around in public is going to have a positive influence on the fence sitters who vote and sway them "our" way.  It will most certainly polarize them, but it's going to send them right into the camp of voting against rather than for the preservation of the Second Amendment.  Those two likely inspired a lot of people to consider tighter restrictions on firearms in Portland, Oregon.  Way to go, fucktards.

It is interesting that you say that.  I was talking to our accountant yesterday after showing him the now infamous "gonna start killing people" video.  His response to me was that his appearance and words are what a lot of people are going to think about firearm owners, and it does not bode well for us.

Honestly, I can't believe that people are thinking about how their reactions may be perceived.  If they are, then they just don't care.  I think people have just gone full blown retard.

That was a direct quote from a citizen in the news report and I absolutely, 100% agree with him. This is exactly why I've been saying we need to use wisdom when it comes to the proposed "million gun marches" and other nonsense like that. It all absolutely plays into the hands of the media, and it scares the sheep. To paraphrase a line from Jurassic Park, people have become so worried about whether they can do something, they don't stop and think about whether they should do it.

No amount of carrying rifles around in public is going to have a positive influence on the fence sitters who vote and sway them "our" way. It will most certainly polarize them, but it's going to send them right into the camp of voting against rather than for the preservation of the Second Amendment. Those two likely inspired a lot of people to consider tighter restrictions on firearms in Portland, Oregon. Way to go, fucktards.

I agree. At this point in time, public displays with a million weapons would only confirm to the anti-gun people that the perceived crazies are actually crazy. Recently, everytime that someone wants to "defend" the 2nd Amendment they've done such a terrible job that it affirms the views of those who would like to disarm us. Edited by LINKS2K

Shoving it in their face should still be done, just not with a gun. It should be outright assertion with politicians and polite

assertion in the public arena. But not with the camera. The PR game will never be won in front of a camera.

Edited by 6.8 AR

In todays world, image is everything. I don't like it, I don't think it's the way things should be, but that is the hard truth. People better wake up and accept it. 

I support doing everything we can within the system. I still plan on taking part in protests. However, open carry will not help our cause. Our biggest opponent right now is not Liberals, Democrats or Government. It is FEAR. Fear is what is going to push all of those on the fence about 2nd amendment rights to side with the gun grabbers. 

You have to paint a pretty picture. It sucks, but anything else will just be used against you. 

Everything I was going to say has been said.  Perception is reality, and if you act based on what you want reality to be rather than what it is, you are doomed for failure.  If you are one who thinks a march of gun owners toting rifles is suddenly going to change anyone's mind and make them think gun owners are prudent and not a threat, you are delusional.  When you have a bunch of fence-sitters and anti-gunners out there believing that gun owners are potentially dangerous and on the verge of engaging in a violent revolution at any time, the LAST thing you want to see is a bunch of people marching through town with AR-15s and AK-47s.  One thing social scientists know is that social change is generally a slow and difficult process, but if anything will spur rapid social change, it's a tragic event or the perception that a tragic event is forthcoming.  I feel very confident to say that a widespread belief that armed revolution is on the horizon is certain to spur a flurry of gun control efforts that will be supported by the public.  Now is not the time for any sort of armed demonstration, peaceful or not. 

Again, we must act based on the reality we have, not the reality we wish for.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't use reason to arrive at.  You can't use the press to inform when the press is slanted against your position.  You can't use logic to shake an emotional faith.

Heck with it.  March on.

• Like 3

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't use reason to arrive at.  You can't use the press to inform when the press is slanted against your position.  You can't use logic to shake an emotional faith.

Heck with it.  March on.

And when the police or military who respond to the cries of a pissed off public arrive to put down your demonstration in a very unpleasant way, then where do we stand?

Was it illegal?  Were they holding up a bank?  Maybe they were marching on the courthouse to take over the town, I must have missed that part.

Nobody bothered those boys. They just gave ammo to the enemy. We don't need any more killings to do ourselves in. We have Jones, Yeager, and these clowns doing it for us

Was it illegal?  Were they holding up a bank?  Maybe they were marching on the courthouse to take over the town, I must have missed that part.

Is carrying a rifle in public illegal?  No, it appears it is not.  However engaging in behavior that incites panic can be under disorderly conduct laws.  I would suggest that when people are barricading themselves in the back of their business and multiple people are calling 911, you aren't very far from that line at all.  Also, if enough people get together to do this, and anyone gets inflammatory, like Mr. Yeager for instance, it's not much of a leap to run afoul of the laws related to "inciting a riot". 

Or consider if a large enough group did this.  How do you think that would play out in the anti-gun media?  I suspect that the words "mob armed with assault weapons" would be part of the story.  True or not, the sheeple won't know the difference and assume it was actually an armed mob bent on starting a war.  When two guys walking down the street can spark that response, that should tell us all something.

Again, when you act in accordance to the world as you want it to be rather than the way it is, it will not end well for you.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 1

Yeah, what it should tell us is that, regardless of the facts, anything they can twist in a bad way will be twisted.  Anything they can 'enhance' to further their goals will be 'enhanced'.  If it hinders or contradicts, it will be misreported or not reported at all.  Maybe you missed the 'journalism' evident in the election, or global warming, or a dozen other issues I can think of right off hand.  Do you suppose that the press may have tossed out the interviews of anyone who wasn't terrified?

We as a community have softpedaled, made nice, bent over backward to accomodate the press and those who we will never reach.  We've used facts, statistics, real-world examples.  We're still vilified and subjected to harassment.  We're shown not at our worst, but at the worst they can imagine.  You don't need to "give them ammunition", they make it up out of thin air.

I'm not Yeager, but neither am I Neville Chamberlain.

We should have open carry 24/7. Whenever, whatever you want to carry. However, you WILL scare the sheep if you do is. The scared sheep will then turn on msnbc. They will listen to the rhetoric. The momma and pappa sheep that may have sided with us on a logical scale may just side with the leftist pigs on a basis of FEAR. These furry little pastor dwellers cannot see the true nature of the sheep dog and his rifle. This is a sad truth about the urban weak that we must live with. We must however make our best efforts to educate the young about the beauty of our gun culture. We must teach them to Shepard the weak. Even if the weak are to be despised.
Guest ThePunisher
[quote name="mav" post="881600" timestamp="1357922650"]   I think people have just gone full blown retard.[/quote] Well, didn't they vote for a Marxist commie for POTUS that wants to confiscate all your guns?

We should have open carry 24/7. Whenever, whatever you want to carry. However, you WILL scare the sheep if you do is. The scared sheep will then turn on msnbc. They will listen to the rhetoric. The momma and pappa sheep that may have sided with us on a logical scale may just side with the leftist pigs on a basis of FEAR. These furry little pastor dwellers cannot see the true nature of the sheep dog and his rifle. This is a sad truth about the urban weak that we must live with. We must however make our best efforts to educate the young about the beauty of our gun culture. We must teach them to Shepard the weak. Even if the weak are to be despised.

The only problem with this thought process is how do you remove illogical fear?  First time ?I flew ojn a plane (as a little kid) I was scared to death, now the flying doesn't bother me at all (just the TSA molesters).

If people get use to seeing others armed, and nothing bad happens...  it removes the fear...  

How else do you convince somebody guns aren't a threat when they have no experience seeing good law abiding citizens armed?

I'm not sure I'd advocate what these two did...  but how else do you remove the fear if you don't open carry and expose the general population to safe armed gun owners who pose not threat to them?

The only problem with this thought process is how do you remove illogical fear?  First time ?I flew ojn a plane (as a little kid) I was scared to death, now the flying doesn't bother me at all (just the TSA molesters).

If people get use to seeing others armed, and nothing bad happens...  it removes the fear...  

How else do you convince somebody guns aren't a threat when they have no experience seeing good law abiding citizens armed?

I'm not sure I'd advocate what these two did...  but how else do you remove the fear if you don't open carry and expose the general population to safe armed gun owners who pose not threat to them?

Appleseed project. Albeit a bit late at this point, we must educate and train a nation of riflemen.

Your walking down the street with your kids and you see these guys approach. Do you think to yourself oh look they are demonstrating their 2nd admendment rights  or are you thinking WTF are these guys up to. These guys may be f'ed in the head walking toward their first victim. What would you do?

IMO its not a smart thing to do?

• Like 2

Ok, I was not going to say anything because I will be shouted down, but late last year I made a promise to myself that I would no longer ignore a conversation because I thought I would lose. To do so give us the situation we find ourselves in now, with an uninformed population that uses the police as a weapon because they are scared by the sight of something.

A folk, no law was broken in the instances I have seen. If we do not stand up and come out of the closet we are going to become criminalized. Crime is a construct of society and does not necessarily follow intelligent or reasonable processes. I point you to the law in California where you cannot whistle at a whale as an example (maybe I am a dumb hick but I would not have thought that illegal until seeing the news story this week about it).

While I am not one to go out and open carry, many folks advocate doing so when I do something for recreation - hiking and backpacking. It is something I have considered. Perhaps instead of acting like those we criticize (think about the comments above that go on the feelings of the situation not the facts) we should structure our responses to say well that was unwise and I believe that it makes our lives harder as gun owners. It bothers me that we as a group are so divided – we have allowed anti-gunners to do that to us and it weakens us. Of course some outliers are going to be out there flapping, but hunters are unconcerned because they do not think their rights are at risk (and they are on the horizon too folks) and OC vs CC and on and on. We have compromised to much already. Let us compromise a little bit more down to a 10 round magazine then 8, then 5, then 1. It is a moral argument and one which must be challenged, stopped, and in some cases rolled back.

Now as to my feelings on this thread topic: if they were not breaking the law, then why not? Would it be that bad to have an organized gathering of gun owners who have their weapons with them?

No? Then consider what are USPCA and other shooting sports? What about when we gather for breakfast as a pro-gun club?

No it may have been unwise, but only because we have allowed our countrymen to become scared sheep. As gun owners we are supposed to be sheepdogs. Sheepdogs do not ridicule the sheep for being sheep - it is their nature.

• Like 2