walmart and ammo

Maybe serviced by different warehouses?  During the last ammo shortage, I asked a Walmart Sporting Goods employee (I think she was the Dept. Manager but can't swear to it) at the Rockwood store that same, basic question regarding her location and a few, other specific locations.  I was able to find .380 ammo at Rockwood when the other stores I visited hadn't had it in weeks.  She said, "They get their stock from a different warehouse."  Now, before anyone gets too excited, I was in the Rockwood store yesterday and they are pretty much as cleaned out as the other locations - although I did manage to pick up a couple of 'value packs' of Remington 12 gauge Sluggers which I haven't seen at other WM locations, lately.

Now, why do some warehouses seem to have more ammo to send out than others?  I have no idea and the employee I asked really wasn't sure, either.

On another, related note has anyone else noticed that plain, old 2 3/4 inch small game/field loads (like #4 and #6 shot) is as scarce at Walmart as .22LR?  They have the 2 3/4 inch #8 'target' loads and they have #6 in 3 inch Nitro Express Magnum.  They even, sometimes, have 2 3/4 inch 00 Buckshot loads but no 2 3/4 inch in #4 or #6.  That just strikes me as odd.

#4 & # 6 probably snarfed up for the just ended turkey season.

#4 & # 6 probably snarfed up for the just ended turkey season.

Could be.  I am not a turkey hunter so I didn't realize that the 2 3/4 inch #4 and #6 loads (the ones that, in the Remington version, for instance, usually have a picture of a rabbit on the box) were popular for turkey hunting, too.  I thought most folks used the 3 inch Magnum version or the ones marketed as 'turkey loads' for that.

Saw good bit of #4 for a while there before turkey season. I suspect that's about the only time they stock it?

- OS

I know they generally ramp up their stock on the shells specifically marked as 'turkey loads' during turkey season and don't really stock them at other times but I was thinking that I remembered, in the past, that one could buy the 'regular' 2 3/4 inch #6 and even #4 at Walmart just about any time of the year.  I could, of course, be wrong.

Not a huge deal, I guess.  Mostly I wanted them for (to paraphrase one of your posts) blow stuff up at close range while conserving my other ammo.  I know the 100 round value packs of #8 are available but #4 and #6 just seem like more fun. 

Edited by JAB
Guest nra37922

Walmart, Turkey Creek, still has boxes of 40 cal.  Also some shotgun 00 and slugs.

Academy Sports has zilch.  They did get some ammo in this morning but it was gone by 10AM.

Holy crap and I'm broke till Friday!!! Thanks for the report though.

Haha I was in Smyrna picking up a mower and drove by WM at 6:30 and told myself "Ain't no sense in stopping, they ain't got nothing" lol

I could use the .45's
  • Like 1

Haha I was in Smyrna picking up a mower and drove by WM at 6:30 and told myself "Ain't no sense in stopping, they ain't got nothing" lol
I could use the .45's

:) Sounds like my luck. I am happy however to hear that all of those items where in.

As of 1300 today, Turkey Creek Walmart had a couple of boxes of .38 spl...hadn't seen that in a long time it seems, and several boxes (20 rds) of Winchester 5.56 55gr for $12.99/box.

They still consistently carry 40 S&W for $19.99/50rds.

I didn't need anything, just picking up an LED light for my 550 press (charged case inspection)...but I thought I'd pass the info along.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Sorry for the lack updates on ammo supply at Wally 5616. It seems that the shipments have slowed and the placement to sales floor time has changed. When and if I can post intel again I will. 

Sorry for the lack updates on ammo supply at Wally 5616. It seems that the shipments have slowed and the placement to sales floor time has changed. When and if I can post intel again I will. 

I applaud your time and efforts, my friend. Lord knows it is not required of you. Thank you!

Edited by Cartel
  • Like 1
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

From this day forward I will no longer be able to get and give intel on ammo at Wally 5616. Last night was my last night there. I'm on the look out for another full time job asap. 

From this day forward I will no longer be able to get and give intel on ammo at Wally 5616. Last night was my last night there. I'm on the look out for another full time job asap. 

Wishing you well in your future endeavors!

As of 5m ago 5616 has 50 round boxes of Federal Champion 9mm + Tula .223 20 round. 

I hope there is no relationship between your ammo reports and your departure from Wally 5616.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I hope there is no relationship between your ammo reports and your departure from Wally 5616.

My departure is due to the fact the management at night has become a bunch of assholes.

I'm sorry to hear that ArmyVeteran.

Even though I live over in Knoxville and haven't been able to take advantage of all the help and tips you've given folks, I do appreciate the fact you've helped so many members here. :up:

Good fortune to you.

• Like 1

Even though I live over in Knoxville and haven't been able to take advantage of all the help and tips you've given folks, I do appreciate the fact you've helped so many members here. :up:

Good fortune to you.

+1 :up:     I live near Chattanooga, and I too appreciate the help you have given others. You will do well.

• Like 1
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Good fortune to you.

As of this morning I have 2 job interviews scheduled. 1 is for a medical supply company and the other 1 is a reach truck job. Both jobs start out within a dollar of each other and the hourly wage is more than Walmart was paying me. Both jobs are within a 20 min drive time (Madison and Mt. Juliet).

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

As of this morning I have 2 job interviews scheduled. 1 is for a medical supply company and the other 1 is a reach truck job. Both jobs start out within a dollar of each other and the hourly wage is more than Walmart was paying me. Both jobs are within a 20 min drive time (Madison and Mt. Juliet).

Good luck on your interviews!

Bro, I know the situation from which you came. Did the same back in Mar. Wish you the best

with the new job, whatever it turns out to be.

Although it didn't affect me personally, thanks for the heads up you gave out on the ammo.

From an ole Ret. Army Vet