walmart and ammo

I was lucky enough to pick up 3 420-round cans of Lake City 5.56 ammo at a Walmart outside of Nashville last week.  They had 4 available and of course I could only purchase 3.  The sales reps didn't have a clue what I was talking about until I begged them to go into the back and look around.  I was a happy camper...it's been a while since I've felt comfortable unloading a lot of shots (because I know how expensive it could be to re-stock at these inflated prices).

I say nice find, some others on here won't!

Guest ThePunisher
I got the last 225 rd box of Remington .22lr at WM in Rivergate tonight for $10.07 + tax. First I've seen anywhere in 2 months.
I haven't seen any 22 since before the whole 3 box limit. I did score the last time I bought though, 4-100rnd boxes of 22, 5-20rnd boxes if 223, and 3-100rnd boxes of 9mm.

Wish I could score like that every time I went.

I haven't seen any 22 since before the whole 3 box limit. I did score the last time I bought though, 4-100rnd boxes of 22, 5-20rnd boxes if 223, and 3-100rnd boxes of 9mm.
Wish I could score like that every time I went.

Nice! I'd be happy to score ONCE like that haha. I know what you mean, I have nightmares about empty ammo shelves and dreams about full ones......***sigh***
Guest cnas122

It used to be on stripper clips for $150, now no clips and it's $179. At least at my store

They still sell them on the stripper clips.  The 3 I bought last week were...I think it was $179.  But I found another box a few weeks earlier and there were just 22 individually boxed rounds inside.  Maybe they ran out of the clips for a while?

Edited by cnas122
Guest cnas122

Nice! I'd be happy to score ONCE like that haha. I know what you mean, I have nightmares about empty ammo shelves and dreams about full ones......***sigh***

Guns & Leather out in Greenbrier had a ton of 22LR today.  It was crowded and there was a 2 box limit per caliber.  But they had the 45, 5.56 and 22LR I went out there to find.

I'm going to stop at one I always pass heading to my grandparents place next week. Zip 24171. Never have stopped but I drive right past on the way to Martinsville. Thinking I might have to dress down before leaving here so I don't look like a city slicker. Hill country right there.

I'm sure this ain't true at all walmarts.... :shake:   But I overheard today that a guy who's wife works at a walmart buys 3 bricks of 22LR for him every time they come in.  Now it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out other Walmart "Associates" do the same.

I'm sure this ain't true at all walmarts.... :shake:   But I overheard today that a guy who's wife works at a walmart buys 3 bricks of 22LR for him every time they come in.  Now it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out other Walmart "Associates" do the same.

Even those outside the world of firearms are aware of the craziness surrounding ammo. They know there's money to be made, so it wouldn't be surprising if just about anyone who knows a Wal-Mart employee is asking them to get ammo for them, hold it for them, or just give them a heads-up when it comes in. 

• Like 1

True or not, I suspected this was happening. They see the lines of people and there's dollar signs in their eyes. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if managers did it too.
Guest ArmyVeteran37214
Wally 5616 got one case of 45acp and two cases of 9mm luger. It will be on the floor around 7ish in the morning. Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

Our policy is associates can't buy ammo until the end of their shift. Can't speak for all Walmarts, but that's how it is at mine.

Dickerson Pike is empty on handgun ammo.  They do have about 12 boxes of Federal 100rd 12 gauge back on the shelf. 

There was actually an associate at the counter this morning and she said they typically put the ammo out between 6am and 7am.  They did get a shipment today, and it was all gone before 7am.

True or not, I suspected this was happening. They see the lines of people and there's dollar signs in their eyes. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if managers did it too.

It's a good way to get fired.  I would think that managers there have enough vested that they wouldn't be involved in that sort of thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were some associates who were buying for themselves just to resell, but if they got caught they would most certainly get fired.  I worked at WalMart when I was younger, and would probably have been using my access to purchase stuff as it came in, but it would never cross my mind to purchase for the purpose of resale because it would violate both personal and professional ethics, not to mention it would be risking my job.  It's one thing to be an employee there and get dibs as stuff comes in, just because you get to see it hit the shelves before most customers, but it is different to buy those items for the purpose of resale, especially if it's to make a profit gouging potential customers of the very business that is employing you. 

Associates get a discount, or at least they did when I worked there, so any employee using their discount for the purpose of resale would be fired with the quickness, guaranteed.  Kinda like the guy who was here posting about doing something similar at Gander Mountain and was subsequently canned for it.

I've seriously considered camping out at one of the Wal Marts at the 6-7am timeframe just to see if anything does show up.  All I'm looking for is .22, and I'm really just curious to see the madness in action.

Now I just need to decide which one:

1. "Big City" Wal Mart that has higher customer traffic, but less "need" for ammunition

2. "Smaller Town" Wal Mart that has smaller customer base, but every customer is in the gun community.

Kind of a gamble, but more than anything, it would be a social experiment.

Mac

These are unusual times for Walmart and it's employees. They've never had anything on their shelves that was worth 3 or 4 times it's price and legal to sell on the street before. Having a friend/relative come pick up ammo before it hits the shelves isn't that risky.

Then again, maybe I'm just getting old and jaded. Edited by BigK

These are unusual times for Walmart and it's employees. They've never had anything on their shelves that was worth 3 or 4 times it's price and legal to sell on the street before. Having a friend/relative come pick up ammo before it hits the shelves isn't that risky.
Then again, maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.

It isn't risky if it is simply for personal use. For example, I worked at Walmart when this whole "Tickle Me Elmo" crap was going on. You couldn't get one without a fight. Now, if an employee was to snag one as they're hitting the shelves so that they can give to a relative, that's okay, but if they're turning around to sell it on eBay for $200, they'd get fired if they are caught. Simply stated, you can't use your employee discount to resell items. They can and will fire a person for that, and in this economy anyone stupid and greedy enough to do that deserves to lose their job and starve.