help picking 45

Joe357

Guest Bassman17SC

JoeW:

You can find "Commander" sized 1911s (4.24" barrel).  Most of the them also have a round grip for better carry.  Sig Sauer makes over 20 1911 models and are all reliable (since you already own a P229).  The S/A 1911s are good and in the same price range.  If you want to spend a couple of hundred $$ more, you can most likely find a nice Dan Wesson 1911.

Why not the SIG P220?  It comes in both full size and compact size.  The stainless model has the same weight as a full-size 1911 and is just as accurate and reliable as a 1911.  The bonus with the P220 is that it is easier to disassemble for cleaning (just like the P229).

More food for thought.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking for something with similar to the 9mm compacts in feel fit and recoil. I would carry one of the 9mm
So based on that a full size would be fine. If a 1911would work which manufacturer for under $1000.00

What about a colt new agent or defender (same frame, I think) in 45?  

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtDefenderSeries.aspx

Taurus makes a compact 45 that is on par with the guns you listed, but their quality has been all over the board from excellent to below average.  If you are interested you should do a web search on the model to see if people like it or not --- I have not held or fired their 45 but I had one of their 9s in the same general design and it was "above average" and for the price tag, very very good.  (above average is really good, since "excellent" on my scale would be a very expensive pistol).

Bersa also makes one, and here again, I have not shot it.  I like their makarovish 380s but that is all I know of the brand.

Para has some small 1911ish offerings like the colt but generally high priced.  The colt isnt cheap either, for that matter.  I think you can get these in the 1k neighborhood but it may run over a touch out the door, with tax & tags.

I'm a fan of the 1911. A good solid shooter, but can be a bit heavy. My favorites are the Les Baer models. They are a little pricey. I also agree with the other guys on the Springfield models. There are a lot of really great models from many manufactures(Colt, Wilson, Ed brown....) in the 1911.