sent in my paperwork for my garand.i was going to drive to anniston al to pick it up.i got an email that they have  over 500 rifles on backorder.the store is just about empty.looks like it will be anywhere from 30-60 days before they are caught up and orders still coming in.also ordered 600 rounds of ammo for it.

• Like 1

I ordered some ball M2 ammo for my Garand from them this week. They said they did not know when it would be shipped due to backlog. They will e-mail me when shipped.

I had thought about ordering their Special Garand with 308 barrel, but due to backlog I decided not to. LOL

Edited by lshel
Guest TankerHC

Hmm, have bought three in the last two months. Will be going there next Wednesday. Every time I hear they are sold out, for the last several years, I pick up the phone and call Leon, and they have the same full racks. Who knows, maybe with in the current environment they are. What I would suspect is the backorders are a backlog of mail requests. It would certainly surprise me if there was nothing on the racks since Garands are sorted, "fixed" and put on the racks every week.

But they are always sold out of the '03's and '17's, at least by the time I can get there.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep reading on the CMP forum about the bare racks. Apparently in an effort to get ahead of the backlog they just now have closed out the ordering of Springfield Armory Service Grades (HR SGs still available with 60-90 day shipment).

The .308 and 30-06 Special Grades remain both in store and for mailorder (30-60 days) as is also the case for the Service Grade Specials both SA and H&Rs.

They just placed an annual limit of 10 ammo boxes of the Greek HXP ammo per customer per year (2000 rounds).

Before the Madness "Mr. Orest" had projected Garand availability for another two years. I wonder what that projection might have dwindled to now?
Guest TankerHC

Djay, you are right 100%. Talked to Mike about it the other day. But Garands are coming in every day. They are just limiting them to give everyone a chance to own one and same with the ammo, they are rationing it.

They have to do it, last time I was there a few months ago, before the shooting I saw a guy with 16 Garands in the corner and pulling more off the rack two at a time. I asked the lady behind the MA counter if they were going on some special sale or something and she said no, they were his, they werent supposed to do that (Lean them up against the wall in a pile like that) but he was buying a lot.

Those are the 5 and 600 dollar guns you see at the shows for 900-1200. I feel everyone should have a chance to own one, if it takes rationing until things get back to normal, then they are doing the right thing. CMP isnt a distributor for gun show FFL's, though some seem to think so, it serves an entirely different purpose.

Im going up there next week again. I have 4 right now, want one more, one of the CMP Service Specials with the CMP stock. After that maybe one of the M1D's, then thats all I want.

What I really want is a '17 and an '03, but they are always sold out when I go. No problem though, ATF told me today my C&R went out Monday. I know where to get them.

Edited by TankerHC

....... Before the Madness "Mr. Orest" had projected Garand availability for another two years. I wonder what that projection might have dwindled to now?

Orest has been saying that for the past 10 years!  :dunno:

Mark

CMP Master Instructor

Guest TankerHC

they charged my cc last friday so i should have mine in acouple of weeks. 12 is the limit that will let you buy a year on the garand's and no more..

Might want to call and check on that. (I will tomorrow). I know what the rules state but I watched a guy buying at least 16 in one day.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the only CMP clubs around me are high school ROTC clubs...  :shrug:

To satisfy the club requirement you can also join the Garand Collector's Association, thegca.org, get 4 magazines per year.

Your HCP can satisfy the firearms related activity requirement.

Check out the catalog for more information about ordering, page 9.

http://thecmp.org/Sales/pdfs/catalog.pdf

Edited by Wakethor
  • Like 1

i got an email and they are just now shipping rifles from jan 10th and my order did not get there till the 15 or 16th  of jan but they have cashed the check for it.

Edited by dou44

I ordered 30-06 Greek M2 Ball on 1/28 and it was shipped 3/10/13. A little over 30 day behind on ammo orders, but can not beat their price on 200 rds, $109.95 shipped.

Edited by lshel
  • 3 weeks later...

I mailed an order for a Service Grade H&R on Monday...we'll see how long it takes.  Once the big day comes, is it worth it to take the rifle to a smith to get checked out?  What should I be looking for once it arrives?

Coming from the CMP it will be in spec and Good-To-Go.

All you'll need to do is Clean it, Lube it, and Shoot It!

Did you order ammo?