Are you a right-handed or left-handed shooter

Are you primarily right-handed or left-handed when you shoot?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are you primarily right-handed or left-handed when you shoot?

• Right-handed
    • Left-handed
    • Pretty much ambidextrous

Just curious how many of us are of which handed persuasion.

Personally, I'm pretty much right-handed except for drinking alcoholic beverages, when any of my hands will do.

Yes, I practice offhand shooting, but it's strictly an emergency matter.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Archimedes

I've said this elsewhere, but I never tire of listening to myself. ;)

I eat, write, bat, and shoot rifles lefty.

I throw ball and shoot handguns righty.

Most things I can do well with either, but I have to shoot my AR lefty because of my right eye. I can shoot a handgun right because I can cock my head slightly to the right and use my left eye for proper sight alignment. That just doesn't work for my rifle.

~Archi

Guest GlocKingTN

Im right handed, but Im stronger in my left hand! I can do just about anything with my left hand that I can do with my right hand, except write!

• Administrator

Most things I can do well with either, but I have to shoot my AR lefty because of my right eye. I can shoot a handgun right because I can cock my head slightly to the right and use my left eye for proper sight alignment. That just doesn't work for my rifle.

~Archi

I'm in exactly the same boat. I suffered an eye injury in '91 and absolutely have to shoot rifle left-handed. Handguns I can generally shoot either.

Guest Phantom6
I've said this elsewhere, but I never tire of listening to myself. :mad:

I eat, write, bat, and shoot rifles lefty.

I throw ball and shoot handguns righty.

Most things I can do well with either ...

~Archi

Ah, equally clumsy with both hands eh? ;)

Guest jackdog

Natural lefty. Due to injuries I was forced to go righty with everything. Injury all better and can go back to lefty, with pistols, but have not. Rifles will have to be righty due to my implanted device. Still not real comfy right handed with a rifle but work on it a lot. New M1 is harder for me to get a sight picture with both eyes open but, is getting better slowly. Tried golf right handed, that was just to funny.

• 4 years later...
Guest friesepferd

right. i practice with my left for emergencies, but ill readily admit im terrible at it. being the not strong type anyways, my left hand/arm is particularly weak and the recoil and wieght really slows me down left handed

Guest WyattEarp

this may sound weird, but all my life I've been right handed, and done everything with my right hand since as long as I can remember. I've always shot firearms right handed, basketball, thrown a football, etc. Notably, I'm near sighted in my right eye and far sighted in my left eye. 20/40 vision in my left, 20/400 vision in my right.

When i went to basic training, it was 3 weeks before we started BRM. the night before BRM sitting in the barracks, the DS comes over to each one of us, and tells us to close one eye, and follow his finger with our open eye. He comes to me, does the test and tells me I'm left eye dominant and that I'll be shooting left handed. I was completely baffled. I started to question him, and he says wait till tomorrow. So i bit my tongue. Next day we get out there on the range, gets everyone setup, but tells me to wait while everyone goes ahead and starts shooting targets to group in. Finally with the other DS's helping the others he comes over to me and says, "I'm sure you're wondering why I told you to shoot left handed?" I said "Well I was surprised when you said that, and I'm a bit curious Drill Sergeant". So he tells me to go ahead and shoot normally (right handed). So I do. Shots were all over the place. Then he hands me another mag, and says "Now shoot left handed". So I reload, and I shoot left handed, and all my shots were tightly grouped within the bullseye and the first outer ring of the bullseyes. I was ****ing amazed! I asked him how he knew, he said "I'm just like you, far sighted in the left, near sighted in the right, but always been right handed", and he just grinned. Ever since then when I shoot a rifle or shotgun I shoot left handed. I did pretty good on my grouping shooting right handed with a hand gun, but have yet to try it left handed, so I'm curious to see how much better I do left handed with a hand gun.

Guest friesepferd

eye dominance is huge when shooting long guns.

it might as well be nothing when you shoot handguns. its completely different. a slight tilt of the gun takes care of it.