Walmart Ammo

mikegideon

Couple of threads over at SurvivalistBoards, everything in the world being said as usual.

Two different employees say it's 2 weeks until end of their fiscal year, can't even order register tape.

Stuff like that. We'll see.

- OS

Like I said earlier... your answer really makes sense. I can't imagine walmart marching to King Assclown's whims. Their market is bright red.

I read the same thing on another forum.  It is possible, but I don't buy it.   The distribution centers could easily allocate ammo to stores based on normal sales volume without telling individual stores they can no longer order ammo.  That is the way it worked when I was a manager during my college years at a multi-billion dollar a year retailer.  If there was a shortage, you may get a partial shipment or no shipment at all, but you could still order.

Selling to customers that are suppliers to Walmart, I can tell you that Walmart beats the crap out of its suppliers, and even though the volume they supply to Walmart is large, the profit margins they make are d***.  My guess, as I stated earlier, is that there have been some price increases and Walmart is being pissy about it, which is very characteristic of Walmart.  Manufacturers will still make the ammo.  It may go to other retailers which are more profitable to the manufacturer, but it is still going to sell as fast as it comes in.  In this frenzied market Walmart doesn't really have a leg to stand on.  They will now have to compete with other retailers for x amount of supply.

That may be a factor too. I just don't see why they wouldn't pass the increases down the chain. No matter what, if they're not joining the politics, they get a pass from me. Of course, the commies would love to announce that Walmart dropped out to stop all the killin'.

I just don't see why they wouldn't pass the increases down the chain.

That is an excellent question. I have thought about it for years, and I have yet to find an answer.  I am not a Walmart hater, but being the world's largest retailer they have developed an arrogant attitude.  Once they set their mind on what they will pay for something that is it.  You either do what you can to meet their price or they source it from elsewhere, mainly China. 

Every now and then Walmart will come back to their supplier and force them to drop the price even further.  I have actually witnessed some companies that were cutting every corner they could to decrease costs ending up relocating to Mexico and Honduras in order to decrease costs further so they can meet Walmart's price demands.  There is good and bad with Walmart.

(edit) - I said I didn't have an answer why.  That is not entirely true.  It has been a while since I studied the matter, and it would take me a while to flesh it out of my memory.

Edited by mav

Couple of threads over at SurvivalistBoards, everything in the world being said as usual.

Two different employees say it's 2 weeks until end of their fiscal year, can't even order register tape.

- OS

Wal-Mart does this every year. Near the end of their fiscal year they put a halt to ordering things they use in the store (toilet paper, shopping bags, etc). This cuts expenses and may help the bottom line.

Also think about this- there is a definite ammo shortage right now. We all go in WM and see the empty case. WM has over 3,000 stores. What good would it do for the management in each store (which is at least 6 people per store) to go in and enter an order over and over for something that may be awhile coming. That clogs up the system.

I think we can take off the tinfoil hats, there is no great conspiracy.......

I have seen ammo coming into the Kinzel Way store in Knoxville on several occassions. They are getting ammo in almost every day but they say they sell it as they are unpacking it. The worker said it is the same guy buying it most days. Not sure if it is a dealer but sounds like it if he is buying every caliber they get in.

Maybe they suspended the ordering because they don't want irate customers when it takes a month or two to get what they ordered. I know the sporting goods manager at the Kinzel store wouldn't even entertain the thought of ordering most ammo. I know he has told me civillians should not be able to get HP's or be able to own 1911's. He is one of those "you only need a bolt action" kind of guys.

Dolomite

After getting some sleep and then doing a little bit more research on the issue, it does appear that orders being placed at the store level are being rejected by their ordering system, not by some dictate handed done from corporate that forbids ordering.  Now this is hearsay, but it seems that Walmart is having to pay more for ammo, and prices will more than likely increase in the future.

It is amazing how changing or adding certain words like "forbidden, can't, won't allow" etc... in discussions can lead to a firestorm of controversy and speculation. 

• Like 1
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

After getting some sleep and then doing a little bit more research on the issue, it does appear that orders being placed at the store level are being rejected by their ordering system, not by some dictate handed done from corporate that forbids ordering.  Now this is hearsay, but it seems that Walmart is having to pay more for ammo, and prices will more than likely increase in the future.

It is amazing how changing or adding certain words like "forbidden, can't, won't allow" etc... in discussions can lead to a firestorm of controversy and speculation. 

From what I see as a stocker, orders are being placed and being filled by the DC's as stock becomes available.  Like I said in another thread some where, I'll see ammo sitting on a cart in the back when I arrive at work in the evening and it is placed on the sales floor after I leave in the morning. When I come back to work it is like it was never there. I'm gonna have to hang out one of these days and try and buy some.

• Admin Team

My brother-in-law works for a Fortune 50 company.  In a conversation with him recently, he stated that, "Walmart is absolutely our biggest and most important customer.  And yet, we don't mean anything to them.  It would be difficult for them to replace us, but we don't have any bargaining power to speak of with them."

WalMart has one, and I would argue only one real philosophy.  That is, "We'll sell what our customers want to buy, and use our collective size to get the best deals we can for our customers."

WalMart may be dealing from some of the same supply issues that everyone is, but so long as their customers want to buy ammo and it remains legal to sell it, WalMart will keep selling it.

- OS

This seems quite plausible. The Dickson Wal-Mart has been running low of all kinds of stuff. We have been trying to get a humidifier for a couple of weeks. Dog food? good luck. It may very well just e inventory time. It's not unusual at all fr businesses to run low durring that time.

A visit to my local Walmart over the weekend was not productive with finding any of the calibers I use. The salesperson, who I am very acquainted with, told me that they are certain that people from the LGS's are coming in and buying up all the popular calibers for resale at inflated prices. Would'nt surprise me! But he added that they could'nt find any definate proof.

Another issue is that some of the stores in my area have run out of tax stamps so what ammo they are getting in stays locked up in the back until they get more stamps.

I've seen that as well.

BTW, has anyone actually called the number to find out what the reps are actually saying?

Posted on Facebook by D&T a little while ago. This just regurgitates the link in the OP.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/walmart-suspends-ammo-orders-pending-gun-control-decision

If its true, still just blogger spew, but if it is, Walmart has to have a grand scheme.   Why would they miss out on the biggest buying spike in history.  Even if legislation is passed it wouldn't be immediate (except EO) and the market would spike even more

Posted on Facebook by D&T a little while ago. This just regurgitates the link in the OP.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/walmart-suspends-ammo-orders-pending-gun-control-decision

It does.  I wish journalists would take a little initiative and dig a little deeper, and perhaps get a little corroboration.  Why don't they put a call into Walmart headquarters themselves and see what is going on?  Additionally, if this reason holds true, which I am still skeptical, I don't understand why Walmart will not issue a statement on their website or Facebook page stating that they are taking such action.

Edited by mav

I just got off the phone with customer service listed on their website. First guy hung up after I questioned about the article seen out. Called back waited and second guy I talked to was aware of the article but said nothing is afirmed as of yet as they are still discussing on what route to go. So take it for what its worth.

I just called that number. The walmart rep told me she could not say yes or no. She said I should go to walmarts corporate website concerning this. I didn't get a good happy feeling about it though. So, still rumor at this point...

They didn't deny it. I think we can take it from there. I'll get my Chinese underwear somewhere else from now on.

BTW, has anyone actually called the number to find out what the reps are actually saying?

I just called that number. The walmart rep told me she could not say yes or no. She said I should go to walmarts corporate website concerning this. ,,,

Yep, I didn't bother, since from what I've read, you're likely to get same range of answers you would from your local manager -- you know, that kid that always is privy to all the deepest corporate thinking from Bentonville.

The 800 number is supposed to be "corporate", but sounds like may be farmed out to a "help center", folks are getting "reps" from all over, not at headquarters.

Anyway, seems obvious to me that only a few suits in Bentonville know the real skinny, if indeed there's any actual skinny to be told.

But it doesn't much matter, as I said, we'll know the score soon -- either there will be new ammo hitting the stores or there won't.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I just called that number. The walmart rep told me she could not say yes or no. She said I should go to walmarts corporate website concerning this. I didn't get a good happy feeling about it though. So, still rumor at this point...

I got pretty much the same answer. But the dude put me thru to someone higher up and she also explained they did but participate didn't have a rep present at the last meeting with Joe "The Anvil" Biden. But there was another meeting coming up and there would be someone present at that one. She said that they haven't made a decision yet and were waiting until the second meeting. She gave me this link. 

http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2013/01/09/walmart-statement-on-white-house-meeting-to-discuss-firearms

Basically she said the rumor isn't true. (yet...pending the second meeting)

Edited by KaNuckles

Okay, no more ammo at Walmart.

So, please, all you Knoxville area folks please don't even look there for any.

As a public service, I will periodically stop in there and check to see if the rumor is true.

- OS

On your periodic trips if by chance they have some bulk 22 could you get a box for moi?