Charles Daly Damascus Drilling SBS Shotgun with Rifle under

timthetoolman

My father picked this up at an estate auction in 1977 and it has found it's way into my collection.  I dont see these come up often and cant find much out about them, but this one seems to be in better shape than most I see.  CAn anyone offer any info on the gun, or even a potential value?  We are considering selling it, and want to know if we should bother or keep it as an heirloom for my son.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q689/timthetoolman75/photo2_zps74f4e1e0.jpg

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q689/timthetoolman75/photo1_zps7e428e95.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Papabear

Depends alot on the rifle caliber and 12 or 10 gauge if it's one of the more popular rifle rounds like 45/70 it will be a little more desirable. If it's one of the more uncommon rifles then it's a mixed bag as to value. Look under the forearm and see if it has any proof marks under the barrels. I collect side by side doubles but only have one drilling in 10 gauge over 45/70 made by sauer and sons. Remember Daly is only the importer of the gun it's probably from looking at the pictures a sauer and sons if I just had to guess. But the proof marks will help identify it. I woud not even hazard a guess on value because it's a limited collector market for something like this. You would be better off finding a appraiser that is versed in shotguns.

That is a beautiful gun but you cannot shoot modern ammunition. Damascus barrels will not handle the pressures of modern ammo. Do not try to polish or remove any finish as this will ruin any collector value. The rust color you see is the finish that was used 100+ years ago and is completely normal. I have seen several very expensive guns ruined by an owner that tried to polish or shine the firearm.

My gut feeling is this could be a very rare and expensive gun. I would take it to a appraiser to have it researched and a value given. It might cost you but it will more than make up for it if the gun is as rare as I think it is.

Secondly, it is not going to be offered for sale on here. At least not without being a benefactor. We will allow you to ask all the questions and even get pricing but if we feel you are trying to circumvent the rules here we will take action. Do not accept any offers from other members here.

You can get your benefactor membership here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/store/

We have that in place to protect our members from scammers. Not saying you are a scammer but a scammer generally will not spend any money to scam. And if they do we have a trail for LE to investigate.

It is a great looking gun. Good luck.

Dolomite

Nope not circumventing in anyway...no worries.  There's only one person in the area I can think to get it appraised by, and he is also likely to be interested in it.  I want to have an idea what I am looking at before taking any offers from him and ending up getting low balled.  In all honesty it still "technically" belongs to my father and he is trying to gather funds for a new motor home.  I'd rather keep it myself.  I have a nice old side by side collection and I have grown attached to this even though I will never shoot it.  My dad is coming to visit in March and is bringing along a box of brass he has for it. We wont shoot it but I thought it would be nostalgic to have some loads to go with it.  I guess I'd rather slide my Dad some money if it's worth a few grand, but if it would bring big money I may have to watch it leave.  From what I have read this particular 3 barrel can fall into both categories  Outside of some of these odd ball guns I have a fair idea what things are worth, but I felt this one was worthy of sharing and certainly asking about.

Thanks!  :up:

Interesting.  I bet if you take your time you can find out a lot about that drilling.  Like others I think condition and finding the right collector is the issue.  Lots of interesting stuff on drilling, especially out west where you can hunt bear and turkey during the same time frame. 

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Drilling-Combination-Guns.cfm?cat_id=290

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&ctl=GunsDetails&mid=409&StyleID=4&GunID=1656

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/53/lid/1643

Guest Papabear

Yeah it has the marks, its a Sauer and Sons.  The rifle barrel is a 38/55 and the shotgun portion is a 12 ga.  All the numbers and marks match.  From what I know it came out of Africa.  

Are the underbarrels marked with proof markings? If there are no proof marks it was made before 1893 if it has the marks after that time. 1893 was when germany started requireing the proofs. 38/55 and 12 Gauge is a good combo It would be worth having someone look it over for value but I don't think it's going to bring huge money. Other than guns with alot of engraving they all seem to settle in the 1000-3000 dollar range. But it is a cool old gun and will always start a conversation.