Good SHTF Survival Fiction Books

I will actually be picking the Holding Their Own series back up with No. IV; "The Assent" (although I have IV and V already on my Kindle.

I've been reading the 299 days series and am up to date with them (I finished "The 17th Irregulars" before starting "The Eye Of Moloch").  I love the 299 Days series and it seems very realistic to me; also I've no complaints at all with the length/content of each book...this will be a large collection when it's done and I think people are more than getting their money's worth.

If I have a complaint with the 299 Days series (and most series for that matter) it would be that most of us, indeed most people, simply won't be able to do/prepare for a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI event the way most of the book's protagonists do...I mean; how many people have the financial ability to maintain a nice home in a gated community in a major city (somewhat necessitated by their profession/job) and also go and buy, free and clear, a very nice cabin on a peninsula that provides an ideal defensible location to ride out the end of the world? ;)

That's how I felt reading Patriots, lol.

If I have a complaint with the 299 Days series (and most series for that matter) it would be that most of us, indeed most people, simply won't be able to do/prepare for a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI event the way most of the book's protagonists do...I mean; how many people have the financial ability to maintain a nice home in a gated community in a major city (somewhat necessitated by their profession/job) and also go and buy, free and clear, a very nice cabin on a peninsula that provides an ideal defensible location to ride out the end of the world? ;)

I am up to date on the 299 Days saga as well.

Good points from Robert and whitewolf.

LOL. Yeah, it'd be nice to have an unlimited bank account. It is also the running theme in many books of this genre; to have a few well armed SF guys show up to help out. Great if it happens…but not something to count on...

"Going Home" and "Surviving Home" had the SF aspect as well.

I am about 7/8 done with book one of Joe Nobody's "Holding Their Own" series. Excellent book and I'll be ordering the rest ASAP.(meaning today).

Thanks for the suggestions, yet again, folks. :up:

What I do like the most about the aforementioned books is their ability to teach while entertaining.

I just wish I had started the “Holding Their Own” series sooner.  :cool:

Robert: I found the “Overton Window” to be a very good read when it first came out. Thanks for the head’s up on "The Eye Of Moloch".

Not Prepper related but i am quite fond of the incredible real life survival story of Sir Ernest Shackleon

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

This is an excellent book which draws from the diaries/interviews/memoirs of shackleton and his crew

Or read his self written book "South" which is quite good but doesn't reveal some of the conflict as he was a gentleman and silent in his opinions Of those he didn't like.

If you get into the shackelton story then you need to read Shackeltons Forgotten Men which I found to be an even more incredible story of loyalty and perseverance than even Shackletons.

Excellent reads! Given the incredible true life hazards that Sir Ernest and his men experienced, It's sadly amazing that he has been largely forgotten.

Anyone who has ever read Jack London's fictional "To Build a Fire" and shivered along with the protagonist owes it to themselves to read of Sir Ernest Shackleton's remarkable Antarctic expeditions. 

:up: :up:

...TS...

• 2 weeks later...

hmm I was a big fan of the Deep Winter / Shatter storyline, didnt like Patriots or the Joe Nobody books that much though.

Has anybody checked out Against the Grain and/or Pillars in the Fall from Ian Daniels?

Guest Wesley33

I've thoroughly enjoyed all the comments in this thread. Y'all have given me some great ideas for books to read. I went ahead and started with the 299 days series. I just finished the first book and I really enjoyed it. I do agree that it is a fairly good assessment of how things might go down leading up to a shtf moment. The whole time I was reading through the book I kept trying to contemplate whether or not I could get to that level of "prepping." Unfortunately, I probably could not, but you have to start somewhere, right...

• 2 months later...

Well, I just finished the Joe Nobody "Holding their Own" series. Excellent! Thanks for the recommendation folks. :up:

I received book 3 of the "Going Home" series, [url=http://www.amazon.com/Escaping-Home-The-Survivalist-Series/dp/0142181293/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y] Escaping Home[/url] and will start it tonight.

Does anyone know when we can expect any more Joe Nobody books in his series? I also haven't seen anything more on the "299 Days" saga...anyone?

I'm considering ordering "The Eye Of Moloch" by Glenn Beck that Robert mentioned...I hate to start another series when I have 3 of them going already LOL.

Any new thoughts or opinions folks?

• Like 1
Black Monday is sort of an apocalypse is happening over a few month book where machines are breaking down.

The remaining. Though a zombie-ish book, it seems well thought out and the author seems to have done some research around firearms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'll be honest, there were several moments in One Second After that had me dang near bawling, I've got a big soft spot for kids though so yeah...

I've read it twice and find it to be brutally honest in respect to what could happen. And yes it does bring strong emotions into play from the reader. I have a diabetic b-I-l and he called it "truthful and chilling."

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have read quite a few, and look forward to geting into the following: Lights Out, Goin Home Series. Holding their Own series" and 299 Days"

I would like to add the following:

Dog Stars-Peter Heller (story of a pilot and his roughneck neighbor surving after a plague type scenaio)

The Silencer - Bob Zerfing (a UN assisted takeover of the US)

As for my favorites- The Road is incredibly moving, especially if you have a young son. One Second After is brutally detailed and most realistic. I am a huge fan of Rawles, so his whole series is awesome and gives great advice along the way. Patriots  was the best by far.

The dog got me

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes, it was very saddening; but I'd say truly realistic if a child were in that condition...I think many would do exactly that.

I've said it before...but I think for me, that One Second After is one of the, if not THE most frightening EOTWAWKI book I've read.

I'm an admitted fan of the "Holding Their Own" series by Joe Nobody.

It looks like book 6 is only out on kindle as Mark A mentioned...

I like books...that's just the way I am...bit of a neanderthal, but wtf. :pleased:

The 3 reviews on Amazon are a bit mixed. But I can't imagine it being anything but good, as the last five have been.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GO43Z9E/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20

Anybody have a handle on the physical book release?

And, since I need to pick up a few more books...any thoughts on the quality of the "Dark Grid" series?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=dark%20grid%20series&sprefix=dark+grid%2Cstripbooks%2C244

TIA folks. :hat:

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have read quite a few, and look forward to geting into the following: Lights Out, Goin Home Series. Holding their Own series" and 299 Days"

I would like to add the following:
Dog Stars-Peter Heller (story of a pilot and his roughneck neighbor surving after a plague type scenaio)
The Silencer - Bob Zerfing (a UN assisted takeover of the US)

As for my favorites- The Road is incredibly moving, especially if you have a young son. One Second After is brutally detailed and most realistic. I am a huge fan of Rawles, so his whole series is awesome and gives great advice along the way. Patriots  was the best by far.

+1 on "The Dog Stars", by Peter Heller. Good story written in a different style. Entertaining.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I've picked up some really good books from this thread. I would add to the list Plague Year by Jeff Carlson. He wrote three books in this series over all, Plague Year, Plague War, and Plague Zone. The story is based upon a nanotechnology contagion that spirals out of control and obviously what people do to survive.
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let folks know about a new book (actually a series if I understand correctly) written by a family practice physician who lives here in Middle Tennessee (and the book is set here in Middle Tennessee).  The author is former Air Force and was, for part of his career, in charge of a medical unit tasked with "end of the world" disaster relief.  Since I haven't read it I've no idea how good or bad it might be but I'm going to pick up a copy and I'll let you know.

The book is called "The Carrington Effect: a novel of hope" by Andrew B. Dill

Website is: http://www.thecarringtoneffect.com/

You can probably tell from the title that this books deals with a solar-generated EMP

The book is available on Amazon.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to bump this back up for any updates and/or new suggestions.

I completed Book 6 of the Holding their Own" series by Joe Nobody (Bishop's Song) and found it to be right on par with the rest of the series, meaning, imho, excellent.

I'm just starting the "Dark Grid" series and the first book looks promising so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Grid-When-Lights-Permanently/dp/1468079158/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389191290&sr=1-3&keywords=dark+grid+series

Robert:

What do you think of "The Carrington Effect: a novel of hope" by Andrew B. Dill so far?

• 3 months later...

Read "The Eagle Has Crashed" last week. I think I am at about 50/50 on this book. There were some really entertaining bits and a few mind numbingly boring bits. There was one pretty good twist in the novel that actually made me think a bit. Sort of an Oathkeepers from a different direction moment.

The end is so-so but only because it is leading to at least one more book. I think I will give it a thumbs up as it was a decent price.

Mark

Sooo many reading choices...So little time.

Seems that the genre has expanded to the infinite in the last couple of years. Some look pretty good at a glance, but have to make decisions on them.

Just from comments here, I'm going to try the Joe Nobody series next.