Good SHTF Survival Fiction Books

Thanks hipower.

I'm with you. I really need to handle one first to be able to make a decision.

Most of the folks I work with are younger, much younger, than I am...I'll ask around at work,,,but those kids always seem to be pecking away on their phones while on break. Maybe I should try texting them. :ugh:

Big LOL. You actually made me laugh with that. I used to work with guys like that. Now it's everywhere.

I feel left out.

• Like 1

Man, you guys are making this really complicated haha!

Mine was an impulse buy. Had it not been $50 off I wouldn't have bought it. Like I said, I got the basic Kindle for only $20. You also have to buy the wall charger unless you are ok charging it from your computer.

I wouldn't spend $70. Wait for a sale.

• Like 1
I love my paper white I bought it when they first came out and don't regret it for a minute. If anybody would like to check it out I'm in murfreesboro and will be more than happy to show it off. By the way thanks for all the book suggestions I've read many of them and really enjoy this genre. They have got me thinking and I've recently started putting some supplies back just in case.
  • Like 1

I keep being told I should just get a tablet instead.

These people are wrong.

Getting a tablet in addition to might be reasonable but personally, I'm very meh on tablets.

Used or refurbished is definitely an option. I bought my first couple of kindles used. They were gen 1 and were not much less than the paperwhite is going new for. If you aren't totally hanging out for the features of the paperwhite, older models can be had from ebay for very reasonable prices. Personally, the paperwhite is great for me cause my wife was always complaining about me having the light on to read.

Fonts are totally resizeable. If you scroll back through this thread, somebody posted pictures. The characters can get really big. There are also some other features which are fairly nice if you use them such as word lookup and highlights. I don't use either much but it is sometimes interesting to see when a certain piece of text has been highlighted by a lot of people. The experimental browser can be nice to have once in a while. And it's nice when travelling not to have to bother picking out books to take or go to the effort of getting one beforehand. Also, Kindle Reader is available for PC and smartphones so you can move your reading around if you want to.

Edit: OK, it wasn't this thread but there's another one out there.

Edited by tnguy

I jumped on the e-book wagon years ago and every year the e-readers models get better and better.

I own several (read many) models and, in short, my "hands-down" favorite is the Amazon Paper-White.

The model I own is the "Special Offers" model that is currently priced at $79.00

Direct link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Glare-Free-Touchscreen-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B00I15SB16/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1418045410&sr=8-10&keywords=paperwhite

The "Special Offers" should not concern anyone - the offers only run as a screen saver when you are NOT reading the e-book, turn the screen off - no advertising.

The features I (and you) will love, in order of MY favorites:

1) The Paperwhite is back lit - yup, you can use it in a dark room, airplane, cave, etc...

2) The text/screen is so good - you can read in direct sunlight.  Seriously - I take it to the lake every summer and read in direct sunlight

3) Battery lasts a long, long time - weeks for me

4) It's small enough to be super portable - it is the same dimensions as a paperback, just a heck of a lot thinner.

5) The font is very adjustable - in the summer, I crank up the font and read without my glasses

I also own, in addition to my e-readers, a couple of tablets.

Honestly, I have a laptop for all my PC needs - trying to surf the web or answer emails on a small tablet screen sucks.

I buy my readers to READ BOOKS and the Paperwhite meets that need and then some.

The P-White is one small device that can hold 1000's of books, that I can read in any light condition and, if you are near "wi-fi", I can buy books on the fly.

Hope this helps, PM me with any ?'s

P.S. - if you subscribe to Amazon Prime, you get one free "Prime" book a month.  I am usually counting down the days until I get my free "Prime" book and have my free books planned out for months ahead of time.

P.S.S - this site has 100s of free Amazon books: http://centslessbooks.com/science-fiction.html

You have to wade through a lot of romance (yeah - I know), but it is worth it!!!

I have literally 100s of books I got from free by looking on this site.

If I see a title that looks interesting, I do the following:

1) click on the book and it opens in in Amazon with a price of $0.00

2) read the reviews and if it looks good

3) click "Buy Now" for $0.00

You now own the book, for ever and ever or until the next EMP

Edited by ΜΟΛΩ� ΛΑΒΕ
  • Like 1

tnguy, you definitely have more knowledge on this than I do. What's your take on the 212/300 resolution between the Paper White and the Voyage?

I haven't seen the voyage to comment. To my mind, the paperwhite is perfectly adequate but I'm sure there are those who notice (or claim to) the difference. I was actually pretty comfortable with the screen on the original Kindle. More contrast is always better (the paperwhite kinda cheats with that) and a plain white background would be nice (then again, the paper on some of the paperbacks I read has often been a bit less than ideal to say the least). The real big next step in my opinion would be color e-ink but given that we haven't seen anything from that so far, I'm guessing that it's "difficult".

• 2 weeks later...

Also, the 9th book is out now in the Holding Their Own Series by Joe Nobody.

And so far not available electronically...

Weird, I was trying to figure out why it wasn't available for kindle. Then I went back to Amazon and there it was... Edited by Mark A
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi... My name is Mark and I'm a readaholic...

I'm so desperate for something decent to read I just read this entire thread, again, for like the 4th time. I tell myself that maybe I missed something but the sad truth is I read it for something to read.

There are a few books listed in the thread that I haven't read since they didn't sound that appealing but they are edging closer and closer to the top.

I've been fighting the urge to start Game of Thrones. I really don't need to get lost down that rabbit hole for weeks but apparently it is getting ready to happen.

So, I will keep looking but I guess I just need to be patient for the next book in the (insert series name here) to come out.

Mark, my wife says we suffer from bibliophlism...as usual, she's right...

I'm Prag and I'm a bibliophile... Perhaps we need to form a support group of "Readaholics Anonymous" and meet at local ranges on a rotational basis? :pleased:

I too re-read this entire thread periodically...I also re-read some of my older books, like Cooper's works, Applegate, Sykes, etc.

Fortunately I'm dyslexic...so it takes me some time to finish a book LOL

I'm just finishing The Olympus Device book 2 and have a couple of books on the bedside table to read next...but it's a challenge to find quality reading material sometimes....or maybe it's too easy and I'm spoiled...

yep...we need a shooting & support group... :cool:

• Like 2

Mark, my wife says we suffer from bibliophlism...as usual, she's right...

I'm Prag and I'm a bibliophile... Perhaps we need to form a support group of "Readaholics Anonymous" and meet at local ranges on a rotational basis? :pleased:

I too re-read this entire thread periodically...I also re-read some of my older books, like Cooper's works, Applegate, Sykes, etc.

Fortunately I'm dyslexic...so it takes me some time to finish a book LOL

I'm just finishing The Olympus Device book 2 and have a couple of books on the bedside table to read next...but it's a challenge to find quality reading material sometimes....or maybe it's too easy and I'm spoiled...

yep...we need a shooting & support group... :cool:

Agreed.

On all points.

The availability of both good and bad material is amazing out there. Except when awaiting the next installment. lol

I seriously have at least 50 books stashed in what I laughingly call an office. All just waiting patiently for me to get to them.

But I keep getting more before I finish them off. So it seems like the pile just never gets any smaller.

I did finally get a Paper White, but haven't even opened yet.

I'm afraid of the pull from the hundreds, nay, thousands of books out there that I've been moderately attracted to that now I won't have taking up physical space.

Maybe this wasn't such a great idea.
  • Like 2

Good points hipower.

I have an irrational fear of running out of things I like to read. I have the majority of SWAT magazine published since around 1989...I think my wife is on to my hoarding tendencies but she hasn't ratted me out to the reality TV shows...yet. :ugh:

But I will pull some of them out periodically and reminisce over the advertisements and purchases I should have made. LOL

I still haven't made a move towards an e-reader yet...I just like the feel of a book in my hands. Maybe one day. Time will tell.

I still haven't made a move towards an e-reader yet...I just like the feel of a book in my hands. Maybe one day. Time will tell.

Well I, for one, love curling up in front of my basically fake gas log fireplace and reading a cold, electronic piece of hardware...

Just poking fun at the old days.

I took a long time to move to a Kindle app on my iPad and I still have some serious reservations. I hate not being able to easily lend a book to a friend (I'm sure the book publishers and authors don't mind that at all). I like having the books physically in my house.

I'm concerned at the long term viability of libraries but maybe virtual libraries are a good thing. However, it is really nice being able to carry an almost unlimited amount of books with me.

Where I've settled is if it is a reference book or something I think might be useful if the power goes out I buy the print copy. If it is just fluff or entertainment reading I buy the electronic version.

What I really wish is that publishing houses would give you the option of paying a couple bucks more and getting both versions

Mark

• Like 2

I just finished Secession:The Storm by Joe Nobody. This is the same guy that wrote the Holding Their Own Series.

I give it 4.5/5 stars. It's definitely worth reading. 

LOL. I finished it last night Erik.

Good read...I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Finally finished reading Secession: The Storm by Joe Nobody and P.A. Troit.

I'll differ with you Erik and prag. I thought in was interesting, but stiff and plodding. Ranger Bass seemed to go from being a Chuck Norris to an almost Barney Fife from page to page.

Well maybe not Barney, but not the sharpest Ranger in town every day. Or maybe it's just my being jaded by all that I've read.

Anyway, did finish and will more than likely pick up the next. I'm hopeless.

About to start the 4th and final chapter of John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series, Strands of Sorrow.

Got it yesterday afternoon, but wanted to finish off Seccession first.

If you aren't familiar with John Ringo, I would suggest trying his work. Although not the usual TEOTWAWKI writer, his Black Tide Rising does give a little spin to the zombie story. And although I think the technological side of these books was overdone, they are worth reading.

Most of his work centers on straight forward SyFy. My personal favorite is the Legacy of the Aldenata series, with the first 2, A Hymn Before Battle and Gust Front being the best for me.

Also the Paladin of Shadows series is pretty entertaining. A little off kilter...but I'll let you find out just where and not spoil the surprise.

hipower;

Good points on Secession. I did enjoy it...but I am apparently a "Joe Nobody Junkie" LOL...but I do feel it was one of his weaker works.

I just finished book two of the Olympus Device series last night. Much more of a syfy bent, and also not as strong as the Bishop works...but at least I got my "fix"!

I then started Weber's "Last Stand:Warlords". The series is pretty good. I like that it has a local setting (Oneida,TN).

I do have "The Salt War" by Joe Nobody waiting on my nightstand for my next read.

The "Black Tide Rising" series looks good and the reviews on Amazon are pretty positive as well. fwiw I usually find the Amazon reviews pretty helpful...those folks can be brutally honest, which I appreciate. :up:

The "Paladin Series" looks interesting as well...

This quote from one of the reviews makes me want to read it. LOL "Not only is the book not "politically correct", but it is an over-the-top right wing fairy tale."

The same reviewer...obviously with a very liberal bent, says

"The book is also relentless about showing the bad side of Islam: the villains in all three stories are Muslim terrorists. There is not a single sympathetic portrayal of a Muslim in any of the stories."

Well I wonder why? :stunned: iirc the world is kinda having a few problems with Muslim terrorists these day... :cool:

I added them to my list as well. Thanks hipower !  :pleased:

Yes, I seem to have been hooked on Joe Nobody as well. Wasn't aware of Salt War, I'll check on it. Thanks.

I'll float between Ringo and the Olympus books this week or so.

Ringo writes well most times, but sometimes I believe he lets ghost writers do a lot for him. The style and phrasing differ quite a bit in his books, especially the series stuff.

His straight up Syfy is awesome. The Paladin series has a lot of uniqueness to it that I think you will appreciate, and some of his 1 to 3 series books are about his best work.

Live Free or Die, in his Troy Rising series is one of his best. At least for me.

The Empire of Man, co-written with David Weber is a quadrilogy that is also pretty good. Although the last book is much weaker than the first 3.

But back onto the Paladin of Shadows, the first book, Ghost, is unbelievable. The premise is actually quite good. I was a little surprised at some of the side story, and it has continued thru the series. I still won't mention it here, it will be a bit of a spoiler.

The reviewers comments you posted are very much on target with the Paladin books. The right wing fairy tale line is perfect for Ghost, the first book.

Also from my Amazon gleanings, the Chris Kennedy series, The Theogony, is good.

And the Evan Currie, Odessey series is as well.

Both of these two above are very similar in theme and story, good reads; but not something that you could miss and worry about.

Edited by hipower

Big fan of Bracken's EFAD trilogy  - got the free Kindle versions, liked them enough to spring for dead tree copies. I finished my second reading last night - I tend to rush through the first read and miss details. Castigo Cay was ok, but a bit of a letdown after EFAD.

Another series I didn't see in this thread is J. L. Curtis' The Grey Man series. Vignettes is a little scattered, but introduces some interesting characters through a series of unrelated events. Payback has a much better plot. A third Grey Man is in the works.

Not exactly in the category, but I still have all the Louis L'amour paperbacks to re-read when the lights go out.

• 2 weeks later...

It will change your outlook on life. You may not like the change.  :cool:

Yep, I was already teetering on the border of paranoia and preparedness, but now I'm getting my finances in order to stockpile some ammunition and get a few more survival weapons. Also, some MREs and water.

Also good in case another hurricane hits the Gulf Coast and my family down there needs supplies.