Good SHTF Survival Fiction Books

EFAD is excellent ttocswob. I'll take a look at the Grey Man series. Thank you.

suspiciousmind...Welcome to our "groupthink" LOL. It kinda makes you consider potentials you might not have otherwise. And that's a good thing. :pleased:

imho it's not paranoia to recognize reality. But it is a great motivation for enhancing  your independence Good Sir.

I'm with you hipower...not great, but I enjoyed both books nonetheless.

• Like 1

I'll have to check out some of the ones mentioned, but my favorite fiction so far would be Farmhands Freehold by Heinland. It's a little campy and none to realistic but still a very good read.

Re-reading the thread and came upon this again. I loved Heinlien growing up. Read everything he wrote, I believe, most many times over.

But Farnhams Freehold was one that really got me going. I think it was one of the first of his I read.

Guess it's time to read it again.   Sure...right along with the literally hundreds of others I'd like to.

• Like 2

EFAD is excellent ttocswob. I'll take a look at the Grey Man series. Thank you.

suspiciousmind...Welcome to our "groupthink" LOL. It kinda makes you consider potentials you might not have otherwise. And that's a good thing. :pleased:

imho it's not paranoia to recognize reality. But it is a great motivation for enhancing  your independence Good Sir.

I'm with you hipower...not great, but I enjoyed both books nonetheless.

Without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read them yet; I think one of the flaws in the two books was that JN didn't exploit a golden opportunity in the storyline.

The power source. I mean look at all the things that could have been said or done with that one simple little item.

At least use some of the more humorous aspects of the "source".

• Like 1

One Second After...

Excellent read until the final chapter. It begs for a sequel IMHO.

What ever happened to the main character (forgot his name) and Gunny? You are left to your own devices deciding what happened... Bummer!

I totally agree with you. A sequel would be awesome.

But to tide you over till then, Forstchen has a new one, at least to me. Dies Irae: Day of Wrath.

Listed as a novella, only about 160 pages.

I picked it up this week and have put it in the que. Maybe I'll bump it up and do it next.

• Like 1

Re-reading the thread and came upon this again. I loved Heinlien growing up. Read everything he wrote, I believe, most many times over.

But Farnhams Freehold was one that really got me going. I think it was one of the first of his I read.

Guess it's time to read it again.   Sure...right along with the literally hundreds of others I'd like to.

It was the first Heinlien I ever read and it really resonated with me. From there I grabbed Starship Trooper, I had actually like the movie as a kid :rolleyes: simple action flick with 3.2 seconds of that exposed redhead soldier in Johnnys tent made a fan out of me at the time, so it was an eye opener to see what a REAL story it all was.

From there I picked up every one of his books I could get my hands on. My favorites so far (he wrote ALOT) are probably Time Enough For Love and Job: A comedy of justice.

Highjack over, pack to preppin :)

It was the first Heinlien I ever read and it really resonated with me. From there I grabbed Starship Trooper, I had actually like the movie as a kid :rolleyes: simple action flick with 3.2 seconds of that exposed redhead soldier in Johnnys tent made a fan out of me at the time, so it was an eye opener to see what a REAL story it all was.

From there I picked up every one of his books I could get my hands on. My favorites so far (he wrote ALOT) are probably Time Enough For Love and Job: A comedy of justice.

Highjack over, pack to preppin :)

Yes, I read Starship Troopers probably before you were born. lol

The movie was such a disappointment. Interesting, but sure a lot different.

Add to your list of favorites:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress/The Past Thru Tomorrow: The Future Histories/Methuselah's Children/Time Enough for Love/ All the "juvenile" books of the 50s and 60s

And to me the epic, an absolute treasure; Stranger In A Strange Land Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

This is a bit different, but I read Free Falling (The Irish End Games Series) by Susan Kiernan-Lewis.  Basically a family goes to Ireland for vacation when someone attacks all the major cities in the Western Hemisphere and they are trapped there.

This is a bit different, but I read Free Falling (The Irish End Games Series) by Susan Kiernan-Lewis.  Basically a family goes to Ireland for vacation when someone attacks all the major cities in the Western Hemisphere and they are trapped there.

Hmmm. That is new to me. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up on it.

Let us know what you think of "Dies Irae: Day of Wrath".

It's making the circle of friends as a loaner right now...disturbing and highly likely book.

I think I posted earlier in this thread about this book, but I think Day of Wrath should be required reading for just about every American.

IMO, probably a much more likely scenario than One Second After, and every bit as unsettling.

It will make you  :mad:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if this is allowed or not "If not then please remove my comment, I dont want to go against the site rules"

I've writen a couple books in this genre myself recently and published them on Amazon

They're both short stories that intruduce the world and characters during and after a major solar CME event.

I did sign them up for KDP select so if you have kindle unlimited they are free.

Otherwise they are set at 2.99 as of today 4/16/2015 book two is free even without kindle unlimited due to the 5 day Amazon free promo.

If anyone is interested in checking them out I'd be happy to hear your input

These short stories are leading up to a novel I'm working on at the moment which should be out before long.

I must warn you before reading that the books have strong language and violence.

Also if you are a super stickler for grammer and punctuation etc. you will find some errors.

The links to the books are below, just click the pics

51zGGH%2BGwoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st

51w3N2MTq5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Edited by plank white
  • Like 3

I totally agree with you. A sequel would be awesome.

But to tide you over till then, Forstchen has a new one, at least to me. Dies Irae: Day of Wrath.

Listed as a novella, only about 160 pages.

I picked it up this week and have put it in the que. Maybe I'll bump it up and do it next.

Forgot I promised some comments on this one.

Well...it is every bit as dark and pessimistic as One Second After. Really so.

Takes the leap that Muslim/Al Queada/Terrorists will hit America where it hurts. And it goes pretty deep into the ability of the terrorists to do as they wish without fear of losing.

Very depressing. And darn it...equally plausible.

• Like 2

I certainly concur hipower! "Dies Irae: Day of Wrath" is very well written and way too plausible. Makes you think...especially about "not so obvious" agenda's.

I've loaned this book to a couple of friends and got the same response: "This could actually happen!"

I per-ordered the sequel to "One Second After" by Forstchen..."One Year After". It looks like a September 2015 release date. Looking forward to it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765376709/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I'm in the process of reading Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.  It's set in 1947. The catastrophe is a plague that wipes out most humans world wide. Ish is one of the very few survivors.  It deals with the life and and a few survivors make in San Fransisco over several decades. If you are looking for lots of action, gore and sex, this isn't the book for you.  If you want to see yet another idea of how a group might work together to overcome adversity, then it's a good read.  By the way, this book came out in 1949 and was considered one of the first, if not the first post apocalyptic books.

I certainly concur hipower! "Dies Irae: Day of Wrath" is very well written and way too plausible. Makes you think...especially about "not so obvious" agenda's.

I've loaned this book to a couple of friends and got the same response: "This could actually happen!"

I per-ordered the sequel to "One Second After" by Forstchen..."One Year After". It looks like a September 2015 release date. Looking forward to it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765376709/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, it's in my want/wish list as well.

I'm in the process of reading Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.  It's set in 1947. The catastrophe is a plague that wipes out most humans world wide. Ish is one of the very few survivors.  It deals with the life and and a few survivors make in San Fransisco over several decades. If you are looking for lots of action, gore and sex, this isn't the book for you.  If you want to see yet another idea of how a group might work together to overcome adversity, then it's a good read.  By the way, this book came out in 1949 and was considered one of the first, if not the first post apocalyptic books.

Wow. Thanks for the memory jog. I hadn't thought about Earth Abides in decades. I read it in the early 60's. I guess it's about time for a repeat.

• Like 1