Good SHTF Survival Fiction Books

Just finished the third Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Matthew Bracken. Written by a real Navy Seal and man I could not put it down. His first book is almost a transcript of what's happening in Washington after Newtown. He wrote the first of the series in 2003 and it starts out about a massacre at a stadium that leads to all the political crap we are seeing right now. It's almost prophetic.

• Like 2

bigwakes;

The Enemies Trilogy is excellent and downright prescient. :up:

I ordered Bracken's [url=http://www.amazon.com/Castigo-Cay-Matthew-Bracken/dp/0972831045/ref=la_B00350B7EU_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363165708&sr=1-4] Castigo Cay[/url] and it should arrive today. I'm looking forward to reading it.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Book 5 of the Tate series "299 Day". imho it's the best of the series thus far. I'm mailing it to my son in the morning as he's reading the series as well.

I just ordered [url=http://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-American/dp/1479743232/ref=la_B00AK2X44M_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366730535&sr=1-1

] "Going Home"[/url] that Erik referenced above. I listened to an [url=http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/a-american-on-going-home]interview[/url] with the author on Spirko's Survival Podcast recently and the book sounds pretty decent.

Guest ochretoe

This is the best book I have ever read. (series of books in the U.S.)  It will really help you get your mind right to deal with unexpected things and how to be a useful person.

“The Book of the Five Rings (Bushido – The Way of the Warrior) by Miyamoto Musashi

I just finished Patriot Dawn: The resistance Rises by Max Velocity and it was awesome. Be forewarned, it is very technical and uses a lot of military speech and acronyms.  Most Vets won't have any issues, but some civilians may have to google some of the things. I'm now reading his training manual Contact: A tactical manual for post collapse survival. Lots of good info, but again technical to the point of being difficult to understand for some

• Like 1

Thanks Spots. 

I had taken a look at his books on Amazon and the reviews were pretty decent and also stated having a military background would be helpful.

I'll put it in the "next" slot on my list.

Yer right ochretoe..It's a book to study, not just read. :2cents:

"One Second After" followed by "Lights Out" are my two favorites.

Been reading and thoroughly enjoying the "Holding Their Own" series by Joe Nobody...this one is a really good series!

I've been reading and enjoying the :Path of Survival" series by David Mauldin.

I read "the Pulse"...didn't care much for it; not bad but definitely an also-ran. Of course, "Lights Out" was so good almost anything he wrote next stood a good chance of not measuring up to that standard.

While waiting for one of the series to publish the next installment, I recently started "TEOTWAWKI: Beacons' Story" by David Craig which so far has been a good read.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

Been reading and thoroughly enjoying the "Holding Their Own" series by Joe Nobody...this one is a really good series!

I read "the Pulse"...didn't care much for it; not bad but definitely an also-ran. Of course, "Lights Out" was so good almost anything he wrote next stood a good chance of not measuring up to that standard.

While waiting for one of the series to publish the next installment, I recently started "TEOTWAWKI: Beacons' Story" by David Craig which so far has been a good read.

Holding their own is great. I'm waiting for the 4th one to come out.

I agree, The Pulse was terrible.

Try Going Home by A. American. IT's on Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd come back an update...TEOTWAWKI: Beacon's Story was a pretty good read.

I would give it 3 out of 4 starts; not perfect but certainly worth your time I think. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished "Going Home" by A.American. Good read.

I waiting on his next book "Surviving Home" to be released in print. The kindle version is out on Amazon already. I'm old school and prefer a tangible book...

I just ordered "Patriot Dawn: The resistance Rises" by Max Velocity and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for the great suggestions folks.

• Like 2

I just finished Book 5 of the Tate series "299 Day". imho it's the best of the series thus far. I'm mailing it to my son in the morning as he's reading the series as well.

I just ordered "Going Home" that Erik referenced above. I listened to an interview with the author on Spirko's Survival Podcast recently and the book sounds pretty decent.

I took your suggestion and started the "299 Days" series; in the middle of book 2 and I have to agree, it's been a great read so far!

• Like 1

I only liked Founders because it expanded more on Ken and Terry's story and fleshed it out.  I didn't care for One Second After, maybe cause I read Lights Out 1st and expected too much from it.   If  you like the Zombie thing Day By Day is a great series with some really good fact weaved in.

I only liked Founders because it expanded more on Ken and Terry's story and fleshed it out.  I didn't care for One Second After, maybe cause I read Lights Out 1st and expected too much from it.   If  you like the Zombie thing Day By Day is a great series with some really good fact weaved in.

I really thought "One Second After" was a great read; can't say I liked all that happened int the book but even just looking at it from the standpoint of capturing my attention and wanting to read it I thought it was really good.  That said, I did read these in the opposite order from you, I read "One Second After" first and then "Lights Out" so perhaps that had something to do with my opinion???  :)

It looks like the new Glenn Tate book is out on Amazon...I do like Amazon Prime. :pleased:

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615828507/ref=pe_340070_30475800_email_1p_0_ti

Spots: I'm half way through with " Patriot Dawn" by Max Velocity...Excellent read thus far my friend. :up:

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Dawn-Resistance-Max-Velocity/dp/1480139688/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371282435&sr=1-2&keywords=max+velocity+books

Robert: I read "One Second After" before "Light's Out" as well. Both were great reads, but I found "One Second After" the better of the two...very sobering in it's dealings with a potential reality.

Let me add Jerry Ahern's Survivalist Series. Kinda old and dated now; but pretty good. And the books he collaborated on with his wife Sharon wer even better. BTW, Jerry Ahern passed away last year, so we won't get any more from him. RIP. But at least his Deutonics Pistols live on, sorta.

But for me, one of the best of the genre has to be One Second After. Really brings it all down to a base level and shows what the real people might endure in such an event.  

I grew up on his novels. I lost most of them over the last twenty five years, so I have been working pretty hard to find them all again.

I am missing The Survivalist from #20 up. I still read them to this day though.

I have read several of the collaborations and I find they have more in the way of story and emotion, with Jerry's attention to detail.

Though I have little desire to own a pocket pistol, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Detonics Combat Master. 

I think I am done with the Glenn Tate stuff. Just too overpriced considering the amount of book he deliveres.

Mark.

I appreciate what you're saying about the cost my friend. It's a ridiculous system...but I've passed on the books I purchased to my son, who has also shared them around. The "Tate" books have actually helped his wife and a couple of others to better understand the concept of prepping and in her case, actually embrace it.

I too think they are overpriced for the amount of book you get...no doubt...but as long as the quality of the material remains good I'll keep buying them and passing them along.

Murgatroy  :up:  to the Survivalist's Series by Ahern.

I still have the series in a box in my basement...they've been read, loaned out and returned more than a few times. They are about to the point of falling apart.

The series was quite unique and innovative at the time, even if way over the top towards superhero status...but very enjoyable at the time.

Heck...I still want one of those COP .357 mags that Natalia had LOL. An old shooting buddy of mine back in MS (another big Ahern fan) actually had a "brace" of Detonics, shoulder rig and all...fine shooting little pistols.  :pleased: 

Prag, I've been reading electronic versions. So far my Kindle app has been a good way to get some of these unknown authors.

I may need to switch to print versions for 299 days so I can pass them along.

Mark