Jump to content
plank white

Good SHTF Survival Fiction Books

Recommended Posts

On 2/27/2018 at 8:07 AM, prag said:

I think that'll be the time when we all "go dark"! LOL

Note To Self: If I don't see prag on TGO for a couple of days, PANIC!!!!!! :panic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

Note To Self: If I don't see prag on TGO for a couple of days, PANIC!!!!!! :panic:

LOL.

I promise if I see anything unnerving come across from CDC and there's still net access, I'll share that info! :up:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hipower said:

Ever read the J.D. Moles series The Remaining?

Darn interwebs...a search for "J.D.Moles" yielded "An Automated Assay for Glycogen Phosphorylase"! :mad:

Thankfully Amazon helped me and these are now on my list.

 

The Five Fingers is a pricey book. At least on Amazon. This one was written in '79, correct @martin5?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, prag said:

Darn interwebs...a search for "J.D.Moles" yielded "An Automated Assay for Glycogen Phosphorylase"! :mad:

Thankfully Amazon helped me and these are now on my list.

 

The Five Fingers is a pricey book. At least on Amazon. This one was written in '79, correct @martin5?

Sorry, I misspelled it. lol

Hey, don't order them yet, if you haven't already. I think there is a full set in the books I'm going thru. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Sorry, I misspelled it. lol

Hey, don't order them yet, if you haven't already. I think there is a full set in the books I'm going thru. 

Awesome brother! Let me know and maybe we can work a swap. :up:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prag said:

Awesome brother! Let me know and maybe we can work a swap. :up:

I found them! A full set of the 5 books. Not really doing you any favors here. I didn't think much of them. Maybe will be more to your liking.

Not looking for a swap. This is my pay-it-forward. 

You mentioned Jerry and Sharon Ahern...do you have Miamigrad?

Edited by hipower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, prag said:

Miamigard? No Sir.

I certainly wouldn't mind reading it. :)  

I'll get them on the way to you. Hopefully tomorrow morning.

I think some of Jerry Ahern's best writing came from his co-writing with Sharon. Sure wish I still had all of the books from Survivalist #1 on. But 2010 flooding here got them and a lot more of my books from the 70s/80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you hipower!That'd be awesome.

Working this weekend...didn't want @monkeylizard to think something was up! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this thread back to life as there are so many incredible book recommendations.

Thanks to @hipower I have been on a D.J.Molles trek for some time now. He's a really solid author with an entertaining and easily read style.

Hipower , being a great guy, did a bit of "horse-trading" with me and I started with "The Remaining" series.

https://www.amazon.com/Remaining-D-J-Molles-author/dp/0356503453/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0356503453&pd_rd_r=be47db81-f945-11e8-9ac6-bf091afce61c&pd_rd_w=sGN9q&pd_rd_wg=iRdzf&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=PBPAG2P2B7ZSFJDA2V22&psc=1&refRID=PBPAG2P2B7ZSFJDA2V22

I've also read "Wolves" and the series "A Grower's War". I guess I am a bonifide D.J.Molles fan. :)

I've also recently read Volume 10 of the  A. American  Going Home survivalist series "Home Coming". It's a bit formulaic but still entertaining.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0996696059/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

 

Please don't let this thread die my friends. Share what you've been reading. It doesn't have to be "Survival" oriented you know. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm dragging this up from the almost dead...

I've got several new series started that I haven't made up my mind about. If anything turns out promising I will let everyone know.

This is not survival related but I've started read the Corps Justice series by C.G. Cooper. Just general save the day kick butt action by a group of ex-marines. The author lives somewhere south of Nashville and the base of the company that these guys work for is located in the Nashville area.

 

The entire first novel was pretty much in Nashville. This is not deep thinking stuff. Much more along the lines of turning off your mind and drifting through the book while embracing your inner mall ninja...

 

Mark

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently reading a non fiction book published this year titled "The Dark Secrets of SHTF Survival" by Selco Begovic, a survivor of the Balkan War in the 90's. It's multiple vignettes of real life things to consider when the bottom drops out of society. It's very sobering.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read a lot of Selco's online stuff, and agree, it is very sobering. Book is worth the price of admission I take it?

Thanks.

 

- K

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I've read a lot of Selco's online stuff, and agree, it is very sobering. Book is worth the price of admission I take it?

Thanks.

 

- K

Yes, very absorbing and easy to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, subsonic said:

I'm currently reading a non fiction book published this year titled "The Dark Secrets of SHTF Survival" by Selco Begovic, a survivor of the Balkan War in the 90's. It's multiple vignettes of real life things to consider when the bottom drops out of society. It's very sobering.

Never mind. 

Edited by Moped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentlemen, we're moving so these must go. If anyone wants to meet me in Knoxville you can have these. Almost all are SHTF related with a few others mixed in.

I have a lot more than this but for some reason it says the files are too big...even though they aren't.

 

 

Capture+_2019-07-14-14-41-37.png

Edited by Erik88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Gentlemen, we're moving so these must go. If anyone wants to meet me in Knoxville you can have these. Almost all are SHTF related with a few others mixed in.

I have a lot more than this but for some reason it says the files are too big...even though they aren't.

 

 

Capture+_2019-07-14-14-41-37.png

Per PM - Just let me know if tgere are schedule conflicts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished 48 Hours by William Forstchen, author of One Second After.

 

It's a pre-apocalypse book about the last 48 hours before a massive solar flare might hit earth, resulting in an extinction event. It's an outstanding premise, but the plot doesn't live up to the promise.

If you're interested in prepping or survivalist books, this isn't a good book. It about how the head of security at a civilian bunker reacts as martial law is established and government bureaucrats try to take over the facility. 

I enjoy prepping and survivalist books because I can sometimes learn something useful, but this book had none of those aspects. Plus, the hero's rationale for who gets to come into the bunker seems unrealistic.

Readers familiar with One Second After and One Year After will see some character similarities. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this back up (using a virtual keyboard , which is a PIA btw).

Well, this isn't the apocalypse I envisioned ... No zombies 🙄

All kidding aside, there are some great books referenced.

I'm rereading "Light's Out" by Crawford . I forgot what a good book that is.

of course I also reread "Gardening When it Counts" by Steve Solomon. Seems apropos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long ago I was gifted books #1 Peoples Republic & #3  Wildfire of the Kelly Turnbull series by Kurt Schlichter.  Very interesting books. 

Its a different kind of SHTF story. Here the premise is that in the near future the United States experiences a civil war. Its conservatives vs liberals. When the fighting ends, the U.S. is split into two separate countries.  Most of the central and southern parts are still the United States of America. The northeast down to the Caroilinas and across to Illinois along with the entire west coast are the newly formed People's Republic. The PR is a socialist and ultra liberal nation. 

The stories take place about 10 years after the war. Life in the U.S is pretty much the same. However, the PR is falling apart. Socialist practices, ultra liberalism and a massively corrupt government has taken a huge toll. The wealthy and connected live luxurious and privileged lives behind walls, gates and armed guards. The middle class pretty much doesn't exist anymore. The majority of the PR's citizens are dirt poor, live in squaller and struggle just to get enough to eat.  The police are little more than armed thugs. Their primary duty is to ensure order by force and protect the upper class.. They are free to victimize, terrorize and even murder the average citizens at will. Ultra political correctness is the order of the day. One wrong off the cuff remark can get you sent to a re-education camp. From which few ever return. 

The protagonist is Kelly Turnbull.  U.S. Army Socom operator now retired and living in Texas. He spent much of the war behind enemy lines training and organizing resistance fighters. He understands what it takes to survive in the PR.  He now makes his living by infiltrating the PR and rescuing friends and family of wealthy Americans who got trapped behind enemy lines. He also does occasional odd jobs for the CIA. He is a professional soldier through and through and his services don't come cheap. 

The stories are action packed and fast paced. Its the presentation of the PR itself that's absolutely mind boggling. While some of it may seem to go overboard, its a fascinating view of what just might happen in an ultra-liberal country.

Once the book stores open back up, I'll go looking for book #2 Indian Country. This is reportedly a prequel covering Turnbull's service during the war. A fourth book is on the way. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Not long ago I was gifted books #1 Peoples Republic & #3  Wildfire of the Kelly Turnbull series by Kurt Schlichter.  Very interesting books. 

Its a different kind of SHTF story. Here the premise is that in the near future the United States experiences a civil war. Its conservatives vs liberals. When the fighting ends, the U.S. is split into two separate countries.  Most of the central and southern parts are still the United States of America. The northeast down to the Caroilinas and across to Illinois along with the entire west coast are the newly formed People's Republic. The PR is a socialist and ultra liberal nation. 

The stories take place about 10 years after the war. Life in the U.S is pretty much the same. However, the PR is falling apart. Socialist practices, ultra liberalism and a massively corrupt government has taken a huge toll. The wealthy and connected live luxurious and privileged lives behind walls, gates and armed guards. The middle class pretty much doesn't exist anymore. The majority of the PR's citizens are dirt poor, live in squaller and struggle just to get enough to eat.  The police are little more than armed thugs. Their primary duty is to ensure order by force and protect the upper class.. They are free to victimize, terrorize and even murder the average citizens at will. Ultra political correctness is the order of the day. One wrong off the cuff remark can get you sent to a re-education camp. From which few ever return. 

The protagonist is Kelly Turnbull.  U.S. Army Socom operator now retired and living in Texas. He spent much of the war behind enemy lines training and organizing resistance fighters. He understands what it takes to survive in the PR.  He now makes his living by infiltrating the PR and rescuing friends and family of wealthy Americans who got trapped behind enemy lines. He also does occasional odd jobs for the CIA. He is a professional soldier through and through and his services don't come cheap. 

The stories are action packed and fast paced. Its the presentation of the PR itself that's absolutely mind boggling. While some of it may seem to go overboard, its a fascinating view of what just might happen in an ultra-liberal country.

Once the book stores open back up, I'll go looking for book #2 Indian Country. This is reportedly a prequel covering Turnbull's service during the war. A fourth book is on the way. 

 

Those look good.  Id love to read them, but lordy 15 bucks for a paperback?  Outta my price range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @Grayfox54!

I just ordered the prequel "Indian Country " on Kindle for $4.99.

Appreciate the head's up and review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after writing the review, I decided to just go ahead and order Indian Country from Amazon. I also discovered that the 4th book is out. Its titled "Collapse". Both are on their way. :up:

BTW: also ordered the latest of James Rollin's Sigma Force series as well. Another outstanding series of techno-thrillers that blend action, science and history exceedingly well into great reading. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schlicter's "Indian Country" was very good, IMHO it's the best of the series thus far.  "Collapse" was okay, it does give a good idea of how guerillas operate.  I'm looking forward to his next novel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines