Good SHTF Survival Fiction Books

For those that haven't read Bracken's "Enemies Trilogy" they are free on kindle through Wednesday.

http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/pass-the-word-2/

These book are eerily on target...

thanks. I just got all 3. I'm not familiar with the series but I'll give them a try.

I've been reading the Kyle Tait Series-77 Days in September. Pretty good. Not my favorite but still good. 

• 1 month later...

The most recent book in the "Holding Their Own" series by Joe Nobody is out.

It's the only one so far that wasn't fantastic. Just good. And I couldn't tell by the ending if there will be another one.

I have it on my nightstand as my next read. I had hopes...but we'll see.

I just finished book 9 of the 299 Days series...I am financially invested and because of my OCD state obviously feel the need to see this through... I'm glad it's almost over... :surrender:

Slow Burn series is another take on the "zombie" genre.  I found the first book in one of the 6 book collections amazon does for .99, and was hooked.  It's worth a read especially since it is free right now on amazon kindle.  The characters are likeable and the story moves along at a good pace.  Warning, it might hook you, I have read them all and have not really been disappointed in any of them. 

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Burn-Zero-Day-Book-ebook/dp/B00E4VT778/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408808536&sr=1-1&keywords=slow+burn

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently started the Carrington Effect even though I've had it a while; about 35% into it right now.  I'm enjoying it so far.

It took a while to get the major characters introduced and to set the stage for the events that lead up to the catastrophes but I think that's to be expected. My only criticism, and it's a small one, is that I don't think Mr. Dill's proof reader did a very good job. :)  I keep finding "missing" words where it's obvious what the author intended (or maybe did actually) write but it's not in the printing.  These kind of things are easy to overcome as our minds just naturally feel in the blanks but still, I know from experience that if I'm catching them there are probably plenty I'm missing!!!  ;)

My "final report" on the Carrington Effect...

I'd say it was an okay read...by that I mean that I don't feel like I wasted my time, learned a few things (or at least got a couple of ideas) and I'd rate it maybe 2.5 out of 4 if I were giving "stars". It obviously took me a while to read it but with work, other intersts and working on another degree I've only so much time to devote to entertainment reading!

It had a lot of various characters and it was difficult to keep them all straight plus as I mentioned above, it took a lot of the book's time to introduce them all.  The scenarios, while I'm not sure are very likely, especially as a combined 1-2 punch, are at least plausible.  I did notice a lot of minor errors in the text (missing words, misspelled words, etc.) that should have been caught by a proof reader.  Now in fairness, I've seen that in even some of the more prestigious books by top-tier authors so they do happen but I'm not a great proof reader and I noticed a lot of errors which tells me that this was much more than would be considered normal.  Of course, I don't know how this book was published so maybe it didn't get the red-carpet sort of treatment a Tom Clancy would get. :)

All in all, not a bad read but not one of the best either.  Now I'm off to read the Restoration (book 9) in the 299 Days series.

Thanks Robert.

I too finished the "Carrington Effect" and should have posted back here before now.

You pretty much nailed it. I've read better, and I've read worse. If there hadn't been a glossary of characters in the front of the book, which I frequently referred to, it would have been a challenge for me to follow.

In fact, imho, there were way too many characters. No one person, or even sub-group, were developed in enough detail to be able to create any attachment to...that's the hallmark of a good read imho.

I did complete book 9 of the 299 Days series...that's enough for me, and it actually does complete the series, even though there seems to be another book coming.

I did enjoy "The Directives", Holding Their Own Vol. 8. Not as well as previous books in the series. "Bishop" is flirting with the "super hero" character thing even more so than in the past books. Unfortunate, but I guess inevitable.

I just started "Last Stand: Surviving America's Collapse" by Weber. It appears to be well written thus far, and it's local as mentioned earlier in this thread, which I find a plus.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Jason Brant's, The Hunger series is alright.  Its not quite a zombie book but it does an alright job of portraying the challenges and risks of not being prepared early on.  My complaints are that I think the author uses too many plot devices to move things forward, as if he couldn't really think his way through certain situations.  I am also highly critical of stuff like this so take it with a grain of salt.  Also, guns use clips in his book so the author isn't really a gun guy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Beefvat

Lights Out is my absolute favorite. Due to my proximity to the location of the story setting it strikes home with me. I found this website the other day and it has some good ideas for survival fiction (survivalistfiction.com).

The next book in the A. American/ Survivalist series is due out Dec. 14. Resurrecting Home. Have it on preorder from Barnes and Noble.

I haven't found anything on a 9th book for the Joe Nobody/Going Home series yet. Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

The next book in the A. American/ Survivalist series is due out Dec. 14. Resurrecting Home. Have it on preorder from Barnes and Noble.

I haven't found anything on a 9th book for the Joe Nobody/Going Home series yet.

I put it on pre-order a few days ago on Amazon. I like me some A.American! :up:

I haven't found anything on a 9th book for the Joe Nobody/Going Home series yet.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I thought this series was over based on the way the last book ended.

At first I was a little wary on it, but after a few pages, and now all the books; I'm pretty fond of it.

Some of the incidents are a little over the top, and people sure seem to recover quickly, especially Morgan.

But it is still a very good read, and somewhat addicting.

Not in the same genre, but I've been reading the Odessey One series by Evan Currie. It's pretty much straight up SyFy, and quite good.

But if you like short stories, do not get involved. Four books so far, and about 600 pages each.

Another good SyFy series is The Secret World Chronicles by Merecedes Lackey. Very Good.

Does anyone have Unintended Consequences by John Ross? I want to read it but it's extremely expensive. I'll gladly let someone borrow a few of my books and ship it back when I'm done. 

No joy here, Erik. I haven't seen a copy locally at all. And the used book stores around me don't seem to have many, if any at all, of the current books we've been talking about here.

I'm not a "Facebook" 'er...but when I Googled "Book 9 Joe Nobody" it took me there...looks like Book 9 should be out around Christmas...which probably means Feb 2015... :cool:

Thanks for the tips on the SyFy reads hipower. :pleased:

My Son and his Son have my copy of Unintended Consequences (which I purchased when it was first released). It's an incredible book really, especially the historical development on the assault of the "Gun Culture" as Ross puts it. I was shocked to see the current price of the books. I thought it was re-released a few years back???

I know it's not paper...but here's a link to the pdf of UC. Hope that helps.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/129/Media/Unintended_Consequences.pdf

I'm not a "Facebook" 'er...but when I Googled "Book 9 Joe Nobody" it took me there...looks like Book 9 should be out around Christmas...which probably means Feb 2015... :cool:

Thanks for the tips on the SyFy reads hipower. :pleased:

My Son and his Son have my copy of Unintended Consequences (which I purchased when it was first released). It's an incredible book really, especially the historical development on the assault of the "Gun Culture" as Ross puts it. I was shocked to see the current price of the books. I thought it was re-released a few years back???

I know it's not paper...but here's a link to the pdf of UC. Hope that helps.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/129/Media/Unintended_Consequences.pdf

Usually when I've ordered books thru Barnes and Noble, or Amazon: if they quote a release date, it's pretty accurate. But schedules can and do change.

I've also been reading the John Ringo series about surviving the zed storm by living a working clearing seagoing vessels. It's not his best work, but pretty good.
  • Like 1

My final “book report” on the 299 Days series…

I usually don’t listen much to “online opinions” but I suspect that in this case, reading the true “final” book in the series called “The Colonels” would be a letdown to an otherwise enjoyable series. So, I’m ending it with my finishing “The Restoration”.

In my opinion, this series, while not perfect, is worth the time to read

I suppose one of the reasons I like the series overall is that the cause of the breakdowm is a realistic one. Also, If we do ever have a breakdown of society whether due to an EMP (attack or natural event), pandemic, some other kind of attack from another country or simply from our continuing rising debt and increasingly worthless currency; then the events described in this series is probably as good of an outcome as one could hope for. Rather than a complete and utter breakdown in society, we see the ultimate failure of a bloated, liberal government that cares nothing for individual liberty and freedom and the rise of enough patriots to set things right. While many people die (as one would expect in a collapse of society) there are plenty of people who hold things together and in the end, are able to actually start over with the kind of freedom and liberty the founders wanted us to have (along with some improvements learned in the intervening 200 plus years).  I think it would be difficult to imagine a better outcome.

I will admit that two or three of the books were not really enjoyable; I wouldn’t go so far as to say they were bad but those installments, in my opinion, kept a good series from being a great series.

I’m not sure what I’ll read next…unfortunately my shelf of books waiting to be read keeps getting bigger and my free time doesn't seem to be keeping pace! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Nobody has one out he "co-wrote" with P.A. Troit. It is pretty good. I thought there was already a sequel out and found out just now that there isn't. Sucks to be on the road with nothing to read...

Ordered it Mark. Thanks! :up:

The book has good reviews on Amazon. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I have added another book to my library that was alright.  Well, it was entertaining and covers a number of topics that are worth covering in a survivalist novel.   

Liberators by James Rawles.  It starts at about now and has the world go through a financial collapse.  

What I liked:

A lot of good detail on preparations.  Strong christian values book.  Realistic collapse scenario with good portrayal of what would likely happen in a collapse.  Well portayed passage of time.

What I didn't like:

A little too in your face christian, if you know what I mean.  Book never reaches a climax and shows the authors literary weakness.  The author wants so badly to tell the events of the collapse that the reader never really gets much of a chance to experience them with the survivors.  Author often lets the detail get in the way of the story and eventually destroys the storytelling to become more like a documentary.

Overall, because of some of the dry telling in the story I give this novel a 5 out of 10 stars, thumbs up, or whatever.

In general I have found myself mostly annoyed with this genre of books as I don't think there are many good, well thought out authors.  There seems to be a lot of authors but they really need to attend some creative writing schools.

Edited by jcluff

I have read JWR's books, and yes, they can be a little different from the traditional books of this sort. But I believe the way it was written was intended.

It gives a view as to the trials of a Christian ethic in this scenario.

That's just my view though. Others may disagree, and are free to do so.