I want a 30-30 in a semi-auto

Guest msparks

Guest msparks

Okay,

I'm on the hunt for a gun that will suit my needs. I want something I can hunt with. I want something that has a capacity of 20 rounds. and I want something that is affordable to shoot.

I keep coming to a mini-30 but I hear about the poor accuracy. Any of the AR platforms just dont' do it for me. I was thinking the .300 aac would be a promising cartridge, but I dont' know if it can must the performance compared to a 30-30.

The .30 remington looks great except it's a dieing cartridge.

What suggestions? Just stick with a 30-30 lever gun and call it a day? Move up to something else?

Is anyone else in the same quandary I'm in?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30.06 maybe,

I have a .270 model 7400, but if I had it to do over I would probably suggest the 30.06 mode 7400 or what ever the current model is.

edit

second thought, it you are wanting to shoot cheaper, probably not.

Edited by vontar

Ballistically there similar though not really "the same".  150 grain 30-30 rounds are going to be traveling at about the same velocity as 110 grain 300blk.  For hunting especially in TN 300BLK is as effective as 30-30. It has proven itself to be a very effective hunting cartridge.  The other option would be find a rifle chambered in 30 Rem AR wich is a slightly better performer than 30-30  and probably a little easier to find than the older 30 rem.  300BLK is gaining a good deal in the popularity department and may be the easier of the two to get your hands on at the moment.

For the 300 you will find for deer hunting it will be equal to the 30-30. The reason is the bullet selection. Most bullets used in the 300 are ballistically superior to most you find in a 30-30. In Tennessee, where a 200 yard shot is a long shot, the 300 will work great. I shoot 245 grain bullets and 157 grain bullets out of my 300. And I would not heistte to take a deer with either at the ranges you find in tennessee.

The biggest problem to getting a semiauto in 30-30 is the rim. I am sure there are some out there but I honestly can't think of any semi autos in 30-30.

If you are dead set on a 30-30 I would grab a lever gun. They are nearly as quick as a semi auto and would be a million times more reliable than a semi auto shooting a rimmed cartridge.

Dolomite

I think 30-30 is about like 300 blackout, yes.  That could be your answer.

You can also get 308 and 243 ARs. 

The mini-30's accuracy is plenty good for hunting at 100, 200 yards.   If you want 30-30 performance, it should be OK.  It won't split playing cards at 200 even with a fancy scope but it will hit the kill zone of a deer, or a stationary skeet clay, at that range.

People hunt deer with big pistols.   A 30 carbine should do it --- out of a rifle, its as good as a 357 deer revolver setup, right?

The accuracy nuts will you that velocity is KING.  Well, at long distances for extreme accuracy, maybe so.  

...BUT, let me tell you; Inside 100-150 yards a 208g hornady Amax from the .300 BLK is absolutely DEVASTATING.  Hold on in your hand.  Imagine that sucker traveling sideways through tissue.  If I were to go out for a deer this morning, it would be with my 300BLK bolt action and either a 208g Amax or a 235 cast bullet.  At ranges you should understand before going hunting, the Blackout is a bad boy.  

Look at my videos of a 157g Cast bullet traveling supersonic into water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GogUE66o5Ww

Here's a 125g Sierra soft point with a max load of Lil'gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fjxKY4i3I0

Saiga 308 in stock form looks more like a hunting rifle or converted if you are not against the AK platform . I would say plenty accurate enough for hunting . I also agree about the Mini 30 and ammo . I never had a problem with the mini 30 or mini 14 I had . That is two of the ones I sold that I wish I still had . But , you know , raising kids and I needed the money.

Saiga 308 in stock form looks more like a hunting rifle or converted if you are not against the AK platform . I would say plenty accurate enough for hunting . I also agree about the Mini 30 and ammo . I never had a problem with the mini 30 or mini 14 I had . That is two of the ones I sold that I wish I still had . But , you know , raising kids and I needed the money.

That brings up a very good point.  A Saiga hunter or even a VEPR if you can afford it would end it all right then and there.  There's NO question as to the .308's track record.  

Guest msparks

I'm not against the AR at all. Actually I love the idea of the versatility. Could get a .223 barrel for varmit/plinking and something like the .300 for deer. Your right most of the shots on my property (where I will most likely be hunting) are 50-75 yards max. I normally hunt with a open sighted pistol or my 1894 marlin.

So I guess I'm off to find a lower before they are all gone.

The accuracy nuts will you that velocity is KING.  Well, at long distances for extreme accuracy, maybe so.  

I think it has a lot to do with gravity.   The faster something is going, the farther it will go before hitting the ground.  THey all fall to the ground at the same speed ... so if it hits the ground in 2 seconds,  the bullet going 1000 fps has gone roughly 2000 feet, and the one moving 3000 fps has gone 6000 feet, given the same conditions apart from the velocity.   I do not think there is any additional accuracy from speed, actually the opposite is probably true; inertia of a heavy slug  is harder to move off point of aim by wind or dust in the air or whatever...

Edited by Jonnin

I think it has a lot to do with gravity.   The faster something is going, the farther it will go before hitting the ground.  THey all fall to the ground at the same speed ... so if it hits the ground in 2 seconds,  the bullet going 1000 fps has gone roughly 2000 feet, and the one moving 3000 fps has gone 6000 feet, given the same conditions apart from the velocity.   I do not think there is any additional accuracy from speed, actually the opposite is probably true; inertia of a heavy slug  is harder to move off point of aim by wind or dust in the air or whatever...

You try arguing that with some people and they get almost violent.  

My MOST accurate loads have all been on the bottom tier of load data.  Some have even been lower than that.  I shoot a 100g cast bullet out of my blackout over 5.0g of bullseye.  It will hold a half inch at 50 yards and that's a ten shot group.

People rarely argue once I bust out the calculus.   They eyes glaze over and they surrender quietly.   Im not even *that* good at physics, but I can certainly run rings around most bubbas.

^^^^ please tell me thats a pistol :P

Seriously, though, the load is what the gun likes, some like em fast, some slow, most of the time lower does better for me too.  My .22 pistol likes them fast, though (obviously not handloaded).

Edited by Jonnin

Nope, its a 17 inch barreled Savage 110.  I was running 4.0g but there was a few inches of elevation difference between 25 yards and 50.  SO, I moved up a grain and point of impact is now the same.  Dead on at 25 and 50.  

^^^^ please tell me thats a pistol :P

Edited by Caster

I don't think there are semi auto 30-30's.  There are bolt and lever action 30-30's and maybe a long ago production pump.

30-30 has better ballistics than the SKS round. 

You can pick up a winchester or marlin 30-30 a lot cheaper than any semi auto rifle.

If you want a semi auto for deer hunting, look into either an AR 10, M14, FN FAL, G3, to get the capacity you want.  You won't be able to find quality guns as cheap as you would a lever or even bolt 30-30.

Edited by 270win

I would think that the 7.62 x 39 could be improved on with some handloads . I sure do like my old SKS but they have gone nuts on price like everything else right now . Probably best buy now would be in bolt or lever guns .

THe 7,62x39 suffers the same anemia that the 7,92x57 does.  It's loaded down.  Notice military surplus will shoot better than Wolf and Monarch garbage.  Careful load development with a quality rifle and components would prove this cartridge has a LOT of potential.  

7,92x57 [8mm Mauser] factory loads are pathetic.  If one could get factory ammo made for the european market, you'd see a dramatic difference.  Properly loaded the 7,92x57 will bang heads with the 30/06 all day long and if MORE quality bullets could be had, it would beat out the .308 Winchester.  

That Russian trash is cranked out as fast as possible so they can sell as fast and cheap as possible.  There is very little if any thought given to quality control.  I have seen handloaded Siminov rifles shooting half inch groups at 100 yards. No problem.  Even the ole' rattle trap Kalashnikov is VERY accurate if you would feed it better.  

Edited by Caster