AR-15 quad rail install question

Guest Hank

Hello,

I have a Panther Arms DPMS and am wanting to install a 12 inch quad rail.  Unfortunately, before i purchased one at a gunshow a couple months ago, i did not do my research.  I purchased the 12 inch quad rail with no accessories such as a D-ring or installation kit (it did come with allen screws hold it together.  I am wanting to install it myself and I have searched Youtube and the internet for tips.  Everything I have found shows a barrel with the triangle front site, mine does not have that.  It came with a mini quad rail gas block and I came to find out that my 12 inch quad rail would not fit over it (as implied, im am ignorant).  So my next step was to get a low profile gas block, which I did.  So now I am trying to install the quad rail and lock it into place.....Which there lies my question and trouble.

Can anyone help?

Sorry for the long post..

Hank

Is your quadrail a free float or a nonfree float?  if its non free floating you will most likely need a ring to connect it to at the front of the gun...if it does free float you shouldnt need any kind of ring and will fix to the barrel nut or have an attachment that replaces the barrel nut like the older troy rails did.

I am working on putting a picture up.  Unfortunately I do not know the brand of the rail because I bought it without box or information.  The only parts that came with it is allen screws to hold it together (it is a 2 piece rail). 

I should have pics up shortly and hopefully that will help....

LumberJack- if we cant get this figured out, i will most likely need your help!

Thanks guys

It sounds like the ones that clamp onto the handguard retainer at the front. If that is the case your gun need to have a rifle length system to use the 12" rail. It sounds like you have a carbine length system and if that is the case the clamp on quad rail will not work. You could get another clamp on block and place it at the rifle position to make use of the quad rails. I have done it and it works fine but it is not ideal.

I am also local to you and can help you out if needed.

Dolomite

photo_zps5ed8aa40.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting..

1) stock front rail gas block and ring

2) low profile gas block installed

3) mysterious 2 piece 12 inch quad rail

Im looking forward to seeing what can be done.....

Edited by Hank

Those quad rails are the clamp on type and will not work with your setup.

Because your barrel is thin in front of the gas block you cannot even use the extra gas block and clamp it in place and use it as a fake gas block to hold the quad rails on. The barrel is too thin for that to work.

Because you have a spring loaded delta ring and a micro gas block without a handguard retainer I don't think you are going to find anything to work with your current setup. At a minimum you need to put the front handguard retainer back on behind the micro gas block and use standard carbine length handguards or carbine length clamp on rails. The only way it will work with your current setup is a Rainier free float tube that clamps to the barrel nut after you have removed the delta ring and sprin assembly. The Rainier tube will cost $150+ depending on length.

Is that barrel in the picture how you received it or did you replace items?

Again, the rails you have there will not work at all with what you have.

Dolomite

Well crap!  It seems that not doing my homework and buying this rail on a whim screwed me.  Hmmmm, what to do, what to do.,,,

The barrel set up came stock.

I'm you in reverse! I have a Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine with a free float quad rail, and I'd like to get rid of it. I'm not sure what parts or tools I'd need either.

The quad rail is heavy, and feels in your hand much like a cheese grater.

Edited by gregintenn

I'm you in reverse! I have a Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine with a free float quad rail, and I'd like to get rid of it. I'm not sure what parts or tools I'd need either.

The quad rail is heavy, and feels in your hand much like a cheese grater.

In keeping with my simple utilitarian ways, I have used these on three different factory hand guards for the few things I've wanted to add (just bipods so far), just using the existing holes. Very pleased. Actually have only used the short ones, bought two sets.

- $T2eC16RHJGYE9nooh75vBQQeivMjQQ~~60_57.J

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

at this point, your best bet is to get a free-float rail or tube.  There are several quality ones in the $150-$200 range.  Midwest Industries, Troy, or the aforementioned Rainier Evolution are a few.  

Be careful about buying no-box rail systems at gun shows;  there are a lot of airsoft counterfeits out there that look real and even have logos and trademarks.  

Thanks for your help guys.  So with the free floating rail system, do i need to get a certain length?  Would i be able to sell the no-box rail or am i just out of luck?

Thanks for your help guys. So with the free floating rail system, do i need to get a certain length? Would i be able to sell the no-box rail or am i just out of luck?

Any length will work but I'd get one that covers the gas block. Your front site will sit on the end of the rail so the longer site radius the better. Of course longer is heavier. If it were me I'd get a mid length rail. I just bought one from Midwest Industries. I like it a lot. It's about $150

With the free floats you can use whatever length you want.

If you want, before you buy next time PM me with what you plan and I will help you. Learning is all part of the AR game and I have wasted hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on stuff that either didn't work or that I didn't like.

Dolomite

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the help guys!  I truly appreciate it.

I will reach out to you all when i decide to buy something else so i dont go through this aggravation again!