Time for your annual health checkup, or it that Gun Checkup?

Guest RobThatsMe

Guest RobThatsMe

The medical community is now being "drafted" into the administration's army for control. (Visions of Germany past)

Don't know how that sits with you all, but it really erks me that the administration is now trying to get our doctors to ask us if we have any guns in our house!

I think my response would be, "It's none of your damn business!", but then he could see this as a response of irresponsibility, and report me to the goobermint.

Guess I need to come up with a more neutral response such as, "It is everyone's constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and it is up to each citizen to exercise their rights as they see fit.". We also have the right to remain silient".

What are some of the responses you would say to your doctor should he ask you if you have guns in your house?

Hmmm, perhaps, "No, it is right here, concealed on my person".

Rob

at face value, it would seem like the EO prevents us from sueing the DR for asking.  

At the tin foil level,  one could assert that the info will be used to deny or modify your obamacare coverage somehow or used, as you noted, to form a registry or something.

/shrug tell or not tell depends on you and how much you trust your DR etc.  Best I can tell, lying is only a crime under oath, the rest of the time,  unless it is about someone else, it is not (slander if its about someone else). 

Since I don't see the question as being substantially different from 'Do you have a swimming pool' or 'Do you have cleaning products stored in easily accessible cabinets', I suppose I'll answer truthfully.  "I do own guns, and when they're not on my person they're locked in a safe. Doctors have been asking about this sort of thing for a while, not as some political move, but as a health initiative.  If you have these things and you have kids who get into everything, they want to make sure you're aware of what you need to do to keep them safe.

And before you say everyone knows how to keep them safe, I'd point out that there's no intelligence test to buy a gun or install a pool or put a container of drain cleaner in a cabinet. Some people have to be pounded over the head with the obvious.

If you don't like the question then don't answer it.  "Just say no."

Edited by BryanP

My doctor can ask me anything he/she likes, but that doesn't mean that I'm required to answer it.

On another note, there is such a thing as doctor/patient confidentiality, and I doubt that any reporting from these questions would stand up to a legal challenge or litigation.

• Like 1

Two years ago, I went to a doctor for my annual physical. I was asked if I owned any firearms. He knew my hobbies were hunting & fishing, duh!

He then started explaining the proper way to store them. I guess he noticed the look on my face (not happy) and said never mind.

I changed doctors.

• Like 1

Generalized response of an elevator full of doctors this morning, "We barely have time in clinic to ask patients about their diet, exercise, and medications which are all critical to their health why would we wast time asking about their guns?"

I'm interested to see if the younger residents' opinions are much different this afternoon.

• Like 1
Guest hickok45

My response might be," I have lots of potentially dangerous items at my house (gasoline, knives, heavy machinery, cars, trucks,  matches, poisonous cleaners, etc.). Why do you ask? Do I appear irresponsible, or are you just compiling a list for someone?"