Refinishing Question.

Guest Fwdftw

So ive been putting off refinishing my 91/30 for awhile.. And with the purchase of my new 80$ SKS :D which needed a refinish.. i figured what the hell.. 

Went to walmart picked up some Klean Strip gel and some brushes.. Stripped the finish as good as i could with the chemical. Rinsed em off and hung em to dry.. still in the drying process ( about 6 hours in ) heres where im at. 

SKS 

20130118_211728.jpg

91/30

20130118_211739.jpg

Question is on the SKS mainly.. when i got the gun this is what it looked like.. 

DSC00782.jpg

What in the hell could all that black have been? Burn? Stain? Hell if i know.. it looks like it is still inside the stock. How can i get it down to bare wood.

Im gonna do some sanding tommorow on both of them.. 150/220/ and final with a 350 pad. The mosin will ok i reckon :D What ye say? Im gonna do Boiled Linseed Oil for the finish. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

water + time will do that.  Water gets in the structure of the wood then mold spores and dirt do the rest.

You are going to have a heck of a time getting that to all match.   Not sure if you will get it "original" looking.  You can try some straight bleach on the spotted area to lighten it up, but if that stripper didn't remove it I am not sure what would get it off.  

You can try to go darker...I have had luck with red, brown, or green rit dye, but have had little luck with stain without a bunch of time and it still didn't look right.

Have even  painted one black with quite a bit of success

Good luck...LOVE projects like that.  Post pics when finished.

Mud + time will do that.  I'd guess to use the discoloration with the new finish.  Blend it into the undamaged areas with some different colored stains or paint.  I've seen some really cool looking milsurps that were refinished like this.  Gives them "character".

Edited by peejman

Mud + time will do that. I'd guess to use the discoloration with the new finish. Blend it into the undamaged areas with some different colored stains or paint. I've seen some really cool looking milsurps that were refinished like this. Gives them "character".

Heres updated pics after a little sanding.. Smoothed out what i needed to but its still there... Is it me ( first time doing this ) But is the nagant wood just shitty or is there some stuck in stain still there? 

20130119_120630.jpg

20130119_120633.jpg

20130119_120640.jpg

How would i blend it? Im gettin ready to do some sanding today.

Heres updated pics after a little sanding.. Smoothed out what i needed to but its still there... Is it me ( first time doing this ) But is the nagant wood just shitty or is there some stuck in stain still there? 

Try different shades of stain.  Darker stain where its dark and fade that to whatever color you intend for the rest of it.  I saw a write up from a guy who refinished a badly discolored FAL stock.  It was similar to yours in that it was the worst at the butt.  He used black paint and faded it up into the stain on the rest of it.  Ended up looking really cool, though I can't find a pic.

The nagant wood is really is that bad (is it softer there?) or there's still a bit of cosmoline in it. 

While I have no issue with refinishing a milsurp that needs it, I prefer not make it look "brand new" when done.  It's an old warhorse, scars give it character.  YMMV.