Looking for a Marlin, What caliber?

Randy W

I'd go with .357. My .357 levergun is one of my favorite rifles. It can share ammo with a revolver, and you can tailor loads anywhere from .38 specials for plinking or recoil sensitive shooters all the way up to .357 loads that are rifle specific for hunting. You can load for most lever actions that way, but the .357 in my opinion has a much wider range that it can cover. 

30-30 is a great Marlin. I took my 1st deer with one many years ago, it was my fathers. He lost it in a tornado. After a few years of looking I found one almost just like it for $350. Very affordable. For close range it is a great deer rifle. Some of the other calibers of the Marlin lever action can get pricey in a hurry. It is very easy to get ammo for the 30-30 as well.

Randy,

Walmart in Lebanon has a Marlin 336 30-30. I noticed it today and was getting ready to buy it until I read the attached message thread on "remlins".

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/53193-quality-of-the-new-marlin-rifles-aka-remlins/

I don't own a Marlin and they are good guns, but I've decided to pass on the new ones produced by Remington.

Edited by mcrichar

Randy,

Walmart in Lebanon has a Marlin 336 30-30. I noticed it today and was getting ready to buy it until I read the attached message thread on "remlins".

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/53193-quality-of-the-new-marlin-rifles-aka-remlins/

I don't own a Marlin and they are good guns, but I've decided to pass on the new ones produced by Remington.

Perhaps overblown assessment. The most problematic manufacturing seems was done in the last several years before Marlin ever left the North Haven plant. I'll be surprised if the new digs at Ilion and Mayfield don't produce quite adequate firearms. So far, so good, seems, from what I've been able to read.

Of course, you'll never see the height of fit and finish, deep bluing, etc from circa 1990 and earlier period, on any production firearm.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Depends on what you will do with the rifle. If your a hunter, its hard to beat the 30-30 or 35 Remington. Ive had several 30-30s in the past but but sold them after picking up a nice 1972 336 in .35 Rem. I have plenty to pick from but I always seem to grab the .35 before I head to the woods.

If I were you I would hold out for an older JM stamped rifle in whatever caliber/model you choose.

To hell with it just get a few of them!! & on the Remlin I can't speak for everyone else but my 1895 GBL on the bottom is a fine rifle & a hoot to shoot! it was shipped to me from the factory with no tang screw to hold the butstock on. :)

From the top. 336 in 30-30, 336 in 35 Rem, 444ss in 444 Marlin, & 1895 GBL in 45-70.

I also have a 39a in .22 S,L, LR. I love this one!!

I would really like to find one in 357 & 41 Mag.

photo3-1_zps1f780a1c.jpg

Edited by xd shooter
  • Like 2

To hell with it just get a few of them!! & on the Remlin I can't speak for everyone else but my 1895 GBL on the bottom is a fine rifle & a hoot to shoot! it was shipped to me from the factory with no tang screw to hold the butstock on. :)

From the top. 336 in 30-30, 336 in 35 Rem, 444ss in 444 Marlin, & 1895 GBL in 45-70.

I also have a 39a in .22 S,L, LR. I love this one!!

I would really like to find one in 357 & 41 Mag.

Nice collection you have there XD! 

Ive had my eye on a Marlin 308 MXLR .... So pretty, it makes me weak at the knee's.

I try to keep ammo relative .... I've decided to stick with 308 for hunting and because I have a battle rifle in 308.

Note, sorry to possibly deflate your ardor, but the Marlin .308 models are not .308 Remington Winchester (7.62x51), they use the ".308 Marlin Express", a different round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Marlin_Express

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thank you sir. I think they are breeding or something! I don't understand, its like every other month or so I have another Marlin!!

Seriously they are very adictive!

Not sure I'll ever get in to lever guns myself that much, having never owned one.  But I do have the bolt gun fever right now :)  Keep that collection going!

Note, sorry to possibly deflate your ardor, but the Marlin .308 models are not .308 Remington (7.62x51), they use the ".308 Marlin Express", a different round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Marlin_Express

- OS

You've kicked me in the gut, chewed me out, and spit me out :(

I'm going to bed crying tonight OS! 

I guess I'll just have to settle for the .357 version  :ugh:  ....

LOL  :usa:  ... Thanks for clearing that up for me!  I just might have very well bought it and tried to shoot it!  That likely would not have been a great outcome!

Edited by xRUSTYx

... Thanks for clearing that up for me!  I just might have very well bought it and tried to shoot it!  That likely would not have been a great outcome!

I didn't compare specs, but probably wouldn't fit.

Btw, I said Remington instead of Winchester for the .308, definitely getting on up there.

Anyway, sorry to bust yer bubble. Don't know the technical reasons Marlin doesn't do conventional .308 but likely simply has to do with pointed bullets in the tube, which can be bad. The Hornady .308 ME has the soft tip, so they won't ignite in the tube.

Also, I guess the whole lever mechanism is designed around lifting and feeding rimmed cartridges.  edit: no, come to think of it, .35 Remington, non-rimmed.

The .308ME is supposed to be a fine round, but like you, I've narrowed down calibers to use in multiple shootin irons. And besides, I think only Hornady makes it, so it's not like it's a very universal round, doesn't seem right to have to depend on one company.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest chuck66

Hard to beat the ol' 30-30 for value and versatility.  But the .357 might just be the one to do it.  I mean, don't buy a .357, they're horrible.  I'll buy them all up to keep them off the streets.  But if you choose to ignore my advice and get one anyway, once you decide you don't like it, let me know and I'll give you your money back on it. :wave:

Seriously, I love the .357 in revolvers and lever guns.  But you'll spend so much to buy one, at least $450 for the Rossi and on up for the other brands, that it's hard to ignore the 30-30 Marlins.  Local pawn shops have them for under $300 all the time, in great shape.  You can buy a lot of ammo, or some glass, or other goodies for the price difference. 

I wanted a good "truck" gun and liked the Marlin 336. I was told that "real" Marlins are not made anymore and that Remington has "trashed" the brand due to fit / finish issues. I'm not saying that the current guns are poor quality, but I looked at the newer "W" version at Walmart and just didn't like the cycle action or the finish. I decided to purchase a "pre 83" model without the cross bolt safety and picked up a good 1981 Marlin 336 (with scope and bag) for about the price of a new one. This old gun was cared for and is much nicer.

In my opinion, I would pick up an older gun on Gunbroker or keep a look-out at your LGS. As mentioned, they're easy to find if you can wait. Regarding caliber, the 30-30  is the standard and I believe will pack a punch and be plenty accurate to 150 yards.

I have an 1894-s in .44 mag. It's a fun gun to shoot. Used it in cowboy matches, and regular trips to the range. I've had this one about 20 years and never had a problem with it. Clean the barrel every time and break it down and clean everything every three or four times.

You can get good instructions for that from the cowboy sites. 

I like the idea of a rifle and a handgun firing the same shells. Cuts down on stuff to carry.