Trailer Thieves

Poor_Dog

Have a small covered trailer parked at the end of my drive, full of carpentry tools. I had ran a lock through the hitch and got to thinking about it later so I jacked it up and took one of the tires off. I noticed it had fallen off the jack stand (I thought) and investigated it this morning. Someone had knocked the lock off and tried to pull it, evidently they didn't notice the missing wheel. I'd like to have seen them try and get that heavy SOB off their hitch with it on the ground and all. Dumb-asses!

Keep an eye on your stuff...

I have a little 5x10 utility trailer that I use for hauling trash, mulch, and my 4 wheeler. It's not fancy and I only have about $500 in it? But I never leave it unlocked, and generally try to have it blocked in, because they are hard to replace for what I have in it. I have friends who have trailers 5 times as nice and expensive as mine that leave theirs in plain view, unlocked and lined up for the taking if someone wanted it. Makes me sick to think they leave them like that and they think I'm crazy for going through the little extra trouble I do for my little trailer. I'll keep doing what I do and for their sakes, I hope their luck holds out. I'd like to have seen those a-holes trying to get that trailer off without one tire too haha Glad they didn't get it man.

I have always wanted to plug my trailer into the 220 outlet for my dryer, to give the thieves a bit of excitement when they try to snatch it.  I know I would be arrested and sued , but it would sure be fun to light their scumbag butts up!

• Like 1

A few years ago somebody broke into our shed and stole all of our lawn equipment.  The deputy that came out said that there was a rash of thefts of lawn equipment and trailers around here (West TN) at the time.  I'm with you, I keep my stuff locked up as best I can, even though I live out in the county.

Yep, I got a short laugh out of it, but then realized someone had been prowling around the house... Caught two fellows in my pick-up one night and held one of them until the police showed up.

Got all three trailers moved behind the shed and chained several different ways now.

got to love old "pill billy".  they are looking at new ways to get money to buy more pills.   they spend more time trying to steal something instead of getting a job.   had one beak into one of my tool sheds at the farm.  took the window out.  did not break any of the glass.  took care in breaking in. did not make a mess, inside or out.   he took two 20 year old chain saws. they did not run, i used them for parts.  left lots of good tools and small equipment.  i have all ways kept the tractors, trailers, hay equipment, etc.. chained inside a pole barn.  they will have to work to get them.  

I got an old 'junk' trailer, I should put it out front and take the lug nuts off, leave the wheels on... Spike the ground in front of it with 16d nails, hide a chain attached to it's frame... Figure a way to attach Mr. Milo's shock collar... Electric Fence...!

Sure would be fun to mess with these guys, probably end up liable for supporting them forever and a day.

We had a run on utility trailers around here about a year ago.  They get two roxies ($30 pain pills) for a trailer according to a local pill junkie.

Tells me how stupid they are. They're ready for the big chill.

Trailers seem to be a hot item for thieves.  About 5 years ago I was storing my utility trailer in my grandmothers barn in a rural area.  When I went to retrieve it the lock was cut off and lying next to it.  The barn is not visable to any road and barely visable from her house.  The only thing that I could figure was that it was either the guys that lease the land behind her to hunt (known poachers, IMO thugs) or coon hunters that happened by (I know all of them in the area, nasty bunch.)  Thankfully I had neglected to take care of a leaky tire and they were unable to move it, but their intentions were clear.  I've thought since then about removing a wheel when storing it long term.

Trailers seem to be a hot item for thieves.  About 5 years ago I was storing my utility trailer in my grandmothers barn in a rural area.  When I went to retrieve it the lock was cut off and lying next to it.  The barn is not visable to any road and barely visable from her house.  The only thing that I could figure was that it was either the guys that lease the land behind her to hunt (known poachers, IMO thugs) or coon hunters that happened by (I know all of them in the area, nasty bunch.)  Thankfully I had neglected to take care of a leaky tire and they were unable to move it, but their intentions were clear.  I've thought since then about removing a wheel when storing it long term.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately I always have to fill up my trailer tires, well had to before I got adapters and put my Ford wheels

and good tires on the trailers. I should do the same. I put old Ford Taurus cheese slicers with fairly new Goodyears on them. I haven't

understood why the crooks walk right by and steal other things. They always go for radios and little stuff where I live.

I guess they are smart enough to wonder why such  crappy looking trailers has those wheels on them.

While we are on the topic, I have been meaning to engrave my name and TDL# somewhere on the underside of my trailer.  I figure do it somewhere a thief would not look, on the slim chance it gets recovered you will be able to prove that it is yours.  From what I understand telling the PD "I know that's my trailer there because it has that scratch on it that looks like the scar on my mommas forehead" doesn't quite cut it.

While we are on the topic, I have been meaning to engrave my name and TDL# somewhere on the underside of my trailer.  I figure do it somewhere a thief would not look, on the slim chance it gets recovered you will be able to prove that it is yours.  From what I understand telling the PD "I know that's my trailer there because it has that scratch on it that looks like the scar on my mommas forehead" doesn't quite cut it.

I had to take mine down to Okeechobee for a couple years and so registered it here in Tn. Now I got a title and a tag for it, fairly sure there are some numbers on it somewhere.

I added a circuit to the trailer's charger connection looking for a loop on the extra pins of the trailer side. If a thief unplugs the trailer from the battery charger connector while the home is armed, I get a text from the security system, and the police get a phone call from the monitoring company. 

Works well in testing, Hope I never have to find out for real.

I leave mine inside the gate usually with a truck hooked to it. My dad repaired and sold mowers and things. I helped him on the side til he passed last year, now it's just me. He always said to buy or trade for any junk trailer (not stolen ones of course) I could find because with some minor repairs and paint they sell quickly. Everyone needs a trailer. So aholes steal them because they are easy to sell.

I added a circuit to the trailer's charger connection looking for a loop on the extra pins of the trailer side. If a thief unplugs the trailer from the battery charger connector while the home is armed, I get a text from the security system, and the police get a phone call from the monitoring company. 

Works well in testing, Hope I never have to find out for real.

That is a great idea.  For the less tech savvy hook it up to an audible alarm.  That should get the thieves running quick!

I fabricated every part of my camping trailer and the price was high in both time and money.

It's parked in my basement, so I don't worry to much about it being taken.

But, I can say this for an absolute fact...

Any attempt to steal it... will be terminal! No questions asked!

trail36.jpg

• Like 1