tell me about the S&W 469

Tennjed

He guys, I am looking at picking up a S&W 469. It will be $399 OTD (no tax). It looks to be in fair-good condition. It has some wear on the normal carry spots. A couple of small nicks around the trigger guard. What can you tell me out this gun? Is that a fair price. Any info would be appreciated. I do have a few specific questions.

1) anyone know the exact dimensions of the 469?

2) I have a 5906 already. Should I expect the same reliability from the 469? Is the 469 a 2nd gen? What are the primary differences in gens?

3) will my 5906 mags work in the 469? If so where can I get grip "spacers" to make the mag look natural while on it

4) does anyone know anywhere to get wood grips for it?

5) Where can I find info on the manufactor date. Google showed a recall for it, but I could only find dates and have no idea what the date on this is

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5) Where can I find info on the manufactor date. Google showed a recall for it, but I could only find dates and have no idea what the date on this is

http://firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%205.htm

SMITH & WESSON
MODEL 439, 459, 469, 539, 559, 639, 659 & 669,
9MM CALIBER, PISTOLS

RECALL: This warning is issued for Smith & Wesson 9mm Semiautomatic Pistols which were shipped from the factory between May 1, 1983 and February 26, 1986. Included are Models 439, 459, 469, 539, 559, 639, 659 and 669 but only with serial numbers in the following ranges:
A745000-A865000 and TAA0001-TAL9999
The pistols within the serial number ranges listed above must be inspected for function from the half-cock notch. The safety mechanism will function in a perfectly satisfactory manner in many of these pistols, as well as in all pistols with serial numbers outside these ranges and in all pistols shipped from the factory after February 26, 1986.
Every one of these models bearing a serial number within the ranges listed above should be carefully inspected by the owner for this special condition. To determine if your pistol has this condition, do the following:

• Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
  • Completely unload the pistol. Check both the magazine and chamber to assure they are empty of live rounds.
  • With your finger off the trigger, operate the manual safety with the unloaded pistol fully cocked and fully uncocked so that you can recognize how the manual safety looks and feels when it is fully in the safe position. The hammer will fall from the fully cocked position into the "at rest" position when the manual safety is moved down toward a safe position. When you are thoroughly familiar with placing the manual safety fully in the safe position, place it up in the fire position.
  • With the manual safety in the fire position, place the hammer in the half-cock notch:
For the Model 439, 459, 539, 559, 639 and 659, put the hammer of your pistol in the half-cock notch by pulling the hammer to the rear slowly until you hear the first click and then releasing the hammer so that it catches between the full cock and the "at rest" position.

For the Model 469 and 669, put the hammer of your pistol in the half-cock notch by inserting an empty magazine and slowly pulling the trigger until you hear the first click and then releasing the trigger so that the hammer catches between the full cock and the "at rest" position.

• With the hammer in the half-cock notch, push the manual safety down toward the safe position. If you can push the manual safety fully into the safe position and the hammer falls into the "at rest" position, your pistol does not require modification. If you cannot push the manual safety fully into the safe position or the hammer does not fall into the "at rest" position, your pistol is being recalled for modification free of charge.
Recalled pistols should be sent promptly to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Service Center for modification. Call 800-633-0164 for the name and location of the one nearest you or for answers to nay questions you may have. Law enforcement departments who have pistols, which exhibit this condition, should contact the Smith & Wesson Service Department to arrange for modifying the pistols. 
Source: 
  • AFTE Journal, July 1986; Volume 18, Number 3:68
  • AFTE Journal, January 1987; Volume 19, Number 1:36
  • American Rifleman, July 1986; page 12
  • Shooting Times, August 1986; page 23
  • California Department of Justice Firearms Safety Note 86-2
Edited by DaveTN

That actually sounds a little high but it may be market price now. Yes, it is a 3rd gen and will accept the larger magazines from 59 series.

3d Gen have a 4 digit serial number, as in 6904.  Last digit indicates finish, 4 = blue, 6 indicates Stainless

2d Gen have a 3 digit serial number, as in 469.  First digit indicates finish, 4 = blue

1st Gen have a 2 digit serial number, as in 69 (not sure that there was a 1st gen 69, but there was a 39 and 59).

Number 5 in first or last digit on model number = blue finish carbon steel

The price is good if the gun is in good mechanical condition.  How many mags come with it? These are strudy, reliable, and slick guns that you will NOT wear out.  The double stack 469 and the single stack 3913 have the same slides.  3 1/2 inch barrels.  My experience is that they will shoot anything you can cram in a magazine. 

For information overload on this gun, go to www.smith-wessonforum.com and do a search.

Edited by jaysouth
  • 1 year later...
Guest nascarmad

NOW I see this is over a year and a half old. Well, I'm up and running on the site and in the mood so here is my 2 cents worth. I have a 469. It's a good little gun and is a good choice for concealed carry. Mine came (new 30 years or so ago) with two magazines and it was my understanding that it could take the 14 rd mag from it's "big brother" the 459. I have no head for today's value BUT, I have always liked mine despite it's somewhat old school features ie an actual hammer. It IS DA on the first shot (hammer down) and then SA after that. It has a 'no mag, no fire' feature and also a half cock (pull lightly on the trigger and the hammer will lock halfway back) along with the counter feature, the safety/decocking lever on the back of the slide. I used it to qualify for my CHL here in Texas but I have decided that there are more headaches than benefits from having a CHL so for now, I don't plan on filing the paper work.