Opinions on FNP 45

10ga

After ordering a Glock 21 from CDNN and hating it, I'm looking at the FNP 45 at a LGS here in Morristown. I love the way the FNP feels in my hands compared to the Glock 21. The Glock just feels too big and bulky and I wished I would have shot one before buying it. Good news is I have it sold for a little more than I paid for it and four 13 round mags. Not much, but a little more. My other question is the gun shop is asking $670 for the FNP 45, sounds little high but I've seen a few bringing that and it comes with one 15 round mag and two 14 round mags plus factory case and it's in great condition. I would like to hear from some people that have or have owned the FNP and what you like and dislike about it. I shot my cousins SIG 1911 Scorpion today and if I had the extra money, that would be the gun I would buy. Love the 1911's but if I can only have one .45, I want a double stack mag gun and most of the quality 1911's are out of my price range. I would be looking at $300 - $400 more for a Sig or Kimber 1911. Looking at the group I had today with the Sig 1911, I wouldn't really need a double stack mag.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I shot a coworker's FNP I loved it! It seemed to come-up to the sight-point very easily and quickly for me. I haven't ever been able to find one around (used or I would have it). I cant speak to the value to cost but face it, this is not the best time to buy a weapon, so it doesn't surprise me. FN is a very old, high quality company. Good luck!

With good ammo the (FNP -45  4.5" Barrel )

Will group as good or better than a HK-45 at 25 yards.

I Did this right out of the box 2 years ago when I got mine at Guns and Leather.

25 yards hand held over 30 rounds.

I bet the new FNX 45 which has a 4" Barrel is also a good shooting pistol.

look around you can find reviews where they got very good groups at 25 yards with the FNP 45.

http://www.gunblast.com/fnp45.htm  Jeff Quinn of Gunblast look at the groups he got using his reloads and a rest at 25 yards  3/4"

http://www.modernsurvivalonline.com/Files/weapons/Articles/FN%20High%20Capacity%2045.pdf   Patrick Sweeney Review on the FNP-45

25 yards at Guns and leather.

100_2319.jpg

Edited by Kano

I bought my wife the FNP in 9mm and liked it so much, I tried to steal it back. She didn't allow that though. I paid $550 for that one at a gun show when they first came out and that was with 3 mags and a blade tech holster. Naturally the price goes up with popularity and a record of performance. Granted it isn't the .45 but I find it very reliable and it shoots fantastically. The first run of them had an aluminum guide rod and the recoil spring cut into it and created shavings. I contacted FNH and told them. The guy wasted all of 3 seconds finding a pen, took down my address and sent a brand new coated steel guide rod free of charge, no questions asked. Excellent service and an excellent product. Prices vary depending on location, who you're dealing with and current political climate. Honestly, I don't think you will be disappointed and that is a pretty solid investment.

With good ammo the (FNP -45  4.5" Barrel )

Will group as good or better than a HK-45 at 25 yards.

I Did this right out of the box 2 years ago when I got mine at Guns and Leather.

25 yards hand held over 30 rounds.

I bet the new FNX 45 which has a 4" Barrel is also a good shooting pistol.

look around you can find reviews where they got very good groups at 25 yards with the FNP 45.

http://www.gunblast.com/fnp45.htm  Jeff Quinn of Gunblast look at the groups he got using his reloads and a rest at 25 yards  3/4"

http://www.modernsurvivalonline.com/Files/weapons/Articles/FN%20High%20Capacity%2045.pdf   Patrick Sweeney Review on the FNP-45

25 yards at Guns and leather.

100_2319.jpg

Thanks for the links, very helpful information.

I have the FNP 45 and a Glock 30. I like the FN trigger better but the Glock carries better due to size. The FNP is my go to gun with a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted for in the house. I wrapped a layer of Coban around the grip and it's a perfect fit and not abrasive. You should be able to buy Coban in about any pharmacy and it comes in different colors. I love my FNP 45 and my FNX-9.

Didn't get to do my deal on the Glock today because of work but suppose to hook up with the guy tomorrow. Just hoping the FNP is still there because I'm going to buy it. I don't know what's up with the G21 but I can't hit the broadside of a barn with it. I'm shooting low and left and the only thing I can come up with is it's too big for my hands. The FNP fits like a glove and I'm pretty sure the problem will be solved. I put a nice group in with my cuz's 1911 and should consider one but I like having 15 in the mag of the FNP. I really appreciate all your advice and reviews of the FNP, I'm sold.

Low and left with a glock is very typical regarless of model and has nothing to do with hand size or fit.  It will go away after you get used to the trigger I promise you.  The glock trigger takes some getting used to for sure.  The glock 21 is a very accurate gun.

[quote name="AUG" post="893201" timestamp="1358904314"]Low and left with a glock is very typical regarless of model and has nothing to do with hand size or fit.  It will go away after you get used to the trigger I promise you.  The glock trigger takes some getting used to for sure.  The glock 21 is a very accurate gun.[/quote] TRUE !

I had one a couple years ago.  I really liked it, but started having a couple issues with it chambering the next round.  I sent it back, FN fixed it, but I wound up selling it.  I got another because I missed the one I had.  The second one had the same issues as the first.  Again, FN fixed it, but I sold that one too.  I can tell you two things.  One was it had issues with Winchester white box ammo.  Their specs are rather loose and the FN did not like long rounds.  Second, I am just now getting to be as accurate with another pistol as I was with the FN.

Great, now you've got me thinking about getting another.

I'm just trying to figure out why it would shoot low, left? I picked up the 1911 and put a nice group dead center and held it the same as the Glock. I've ran about 150 rounds through it with the same results. It shot a nice group, just not where I'm aiming. I need a .45 that shoots like my Mark III 5.5" bull barrel..

Edited by 10ga

I never had a problem with low left with my Glock 30. It was accurate right out of the box. So was the FNP. Each had a few FTF during break in but none since. I like both guns but if I had to keep just one it would be the FNP. It's a bit more accurate (at least for me), points a bit more naturally on target and just feels better in my hand. I use the Glock mostly for concealed carry. The FNP is a little large for IWB carry but it can be done. Both do what they are supposed to do when you need them.

Have you googled "glock low left"?  When you do you will get hundreds of hits explaining finger position in relation to the glock trigger and how to fix it.

Some typical causes of glock low left syndrome:

too much shooting hand grip pressure

not enough finger on trigger

curling trigger finger insteading of straight back pressure

Edited by AUG

I have the FNP-45USG. I love it. Its big and bulky but i always come back to it.  I am used to carrying it so the size and weight does not bother me.  It shoots way better than I do.  It eats ANY ammo I've ran through it with zero problems.  I usually carry it and one spare mag  OWB on opposite sides. On the magazine side I also carry a flashlight so it is a little bit balanced...I also wear suspenders tho, because of the weight, and an Original S.O.E. Cobra belt.  Ive not had any problems with my gun ever.  Mine is the USG model, and it can be carried with one in the chamber and decocked, ready to fire DA then SA, or one in chamber and cocked and locked like a 1911.

I also have an FNX-9, and I carried it for quite a few months IWB as it was my first handgun. I have since upgraded my carry piece to a Shield, but the FNX is still the gun I shoot best and most accurate. It fits my hand very well also and shoots very well. 

Well, the stars aligned and I got the Sig 1911 Scorpion. Maybe I'll still get a FNP 45, but I'll have to wait a few months. It wasn't the same money but I'm happy it worked out. Thanks again for all your help.