Tomorrow Feinstein's Bill Is To Be Filed

Guest semiautots

Guest semiautots

Senator Feinstein has stated she will file her bill the first day of the Congress.  This bill will be more severe than her prior bill in the early '90's that banned magazines of more than 10 rounds and banned guns based on cosmetics.  That bill barely made it through the Senate and Clinton signed it into law with a 10 year sunset provision.

This time around her bill will be more severe.  My question is two parts:

1.  What do you think it will contain (you can go to her website and kinda get an idea); and

2.  Does it have any chance of passing.

I lived through the first ban, and the ease at which government removed inalienable rights back then was simply breathtaking.  Absolutely nothing was done about it, but the voters rejected democrats in the 1996 election and turned the House over to the Republicans.  Will history repeat?

It will die in conference and I believe the only measure that has a reasonable chance in the Senate is closing the gun show sales “loophole” and perhaps an improved background check. It appears that Obama is switching tactics and will attempt to implement gun control measures at a state level (using his campaign apparatus) rather than attempting to get something through Congress (which isn’t likely in the Republican controlled House of Representatives). With TN being a solid “red” state, I don’t think we have to worry about much. This is my opinion.

• Like 2

The "universal background check' issue is polling really high. I agree that it may get some steam. I think Slick Willie's message to Democrats will have some weight. People like Feinstein can do what they want. A lot of Dems in the Senate and the House can't. They can lose their jobs over voting for gun bans.

Gun control has questionable results. They don't really impact crime stats. Can't say the same about gun bans. They kill Democrats.

• Like 2

I don't think the polling will push any gun legislation through Congress. The polls are less accurate than the ones Karl Rove

did in the election. Are you talking about the limp wrist polls on websites, Mike, or someone like Rassmussen?

There's so much furor over the NY Gun bill, the issue may be dead before it gets to Congress. I know there still is a lot of talk,

but I doubt any more laws. He will slip an EO at the end of a Friday and let the media digest it for Monday's 2nd page announcement.

I don't think the polling will push any gun legislation through Congress. The polls are less accurate than the ones Karl Rove

did in the election. Are you talking about the limp wrist polls on websites, Mike, or someone like Rassmussen?

There's so much furor over the NY Gun bill, the issue may be dead before it gets to Congress. I know there still is a lot of talk,

but I doubt any more laws. He will slip an EO at the end of a Friday and let the media digest it for Monday's 2nd page announcement.

Every poll I've seen. I don't think they're done driving us crazy just yet. I DO think some of the sanity of our massage is sinking in. I don't see as much whining from libta... errr liberals in my circles. They need something shiny to divert their attention, like some evil chicken people.

The grabbers are still gearing up for a big fight. We haven't seen much of it yet, but it's coming.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

Oh, we're in for a fight, no doubt, but I think they're losing and will continue. Yeh, careful with your description of libta...errrr liberals. :d

I know it's hard. Just say "Commies".

[quote name="mikegideon" post="892620" timestamp="1358869223"]Not gonna be that quick. They really are planning an all-out assault, and it's not ready.[/quote] Once this thing is killed it should set the tone. Short of an EO or continued bans in already ban-happy states I don't see them taking any ground where it matters.

Once this thing is killed it should set the tone. Short of an EO or continued bans in already ban-happy states I don't see them taking any ground where it matters.

I agree. Just not sure how fast it will die in the Senate. Got my fingers crossed. The house may have to kill it.

• Moderators

Any republicans that attach their name to this thing might as well put property they have in DC on the market, because they won't be there long.

Any Blue Dog or other non-commie state Democrat would be wise to follow the same advice. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

Are you talking about the limp wrist polls on websites, Mike, or someone like Rassmussen?

Every poll I've seen....

Yep. EVERY poll. (re universal background checks). It's so strong that I still think it will happen. Actually, as you know, I've felt it might well happen during O's second term, even before Sandy Hook.

Hell, even Dubya was for it, said it in the Kerry debates, and still got elected (he was for extending the AWB, too, gulp). I don't think that single issue is the killer in the Republican electorate a lot of folks here do.

Universal registration database might still be though.

- OS

• Moderators

I don't think that single issue is the killer in the Republican electorate a lot of folks here do.

- OS

That is where it is vitally important to educate the masses and especially the "reasonable gun owners" (as our opposition likes to call them) that those two items are effectively the same thing.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="892648" timestamp="1358870591"]I don't think that single issue is the killer in the Republican electorate a lot of folks here do.   - OS[/quote] I don't either, but my money is on it not passing. A few weeks ago I would have thought otherwise, but things are starting to get back to normal and I think people have had enough of the "gun owners are nuts" stories that it has lost all meaning.

I don't either, but my money is on it not passing. A few weeks ago I would have thought otherwise, but things are starting to get back to normal and I think people have had enough of the "gun owners are nuts" stories that it has lost all meaning.

McConnell has sworn it'll never get out of the Senate. Course he had to, since he comes up in '14 in KY.

More importantly though, beyond lip service that he's for it, Reid hasn't made any noise about getting it really moving.

- OS

• Like 1

That is where it is vitally important to educate the masses and especially the "reasonable gun owners" (as our opposition likes to call them) that those two items are effectively the same thing.

I see quite a large difference between them myself.

One is what every gun buyer in the US already has for new gun purchases.

And yeah, they could already be cheating and have a permanent database of those, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yep. EVERY poll. (re universal background checks). It's so strong that I still think it will happen. Actually, as you know, I've felt it might well happen during O's second term, even before Sandy Hook.

Hell, even Dubya was for it, said it in the Kerry debates, and still got elected (he was for extending the AWB, too, gulp). I don't think that single issue is the killer in the Republican electorate a lot of folks here do.

- OS

I understand, but what about all those polls that said Romney would win? They were supposedly scientific. All these polls on the news

and websites are nothing of the sort. you could be right on it, but I seriously doubt the House will garner the votes. And who really gives

a damn about the senate? They can put crap out for a vote any time and most of the time they don't.

Like TMF said, any Republican who votes for something like this is dead meat for re-election. I would even abstain from voting for that

person, also. Like that matters. Marsha Blackburn won't vote for it. Everything has to get through the House before it can become law.

That just leaves an EO and I have no doubts that that will happen, and will be challenged.

McConnell has sworn it'll never get out of the Senate. Course he had to, since he comes up in '14 in KY.

More importantly though, beyond lip service that he's for it, Reid hasn't made any noise about getting it really moving.

- OS

Reid has already said it was dead.

I understand, but what about all those polls that said Romney would win?

None of the good ones said that, only the ones Rove and Morris seemed to "interpret" beyond the actual poll findings. They must have convinced you too. :)

Rasmussen, Pew, and Gallup pegged it pretty well.

MSNBC had a ball for a week ragging all the idiot Republicans for not believing the polls.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Reid has already said it was dead.

I don't think one person in the Senate think Feinstein's bill as ballyhooed so far would make it.

But things will evolve, eventually there will be a version of it or another get out, and either the House will simply not deal with it or if public pressure remains what I think, then will amend it to having the background checks and maybe another inconsequential something or other to,  you know,  show their concern for the children of this great country just like the oh so caring Dems.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Rassmusen kept saying up to the day before that Romney was ahead, if my recollection serves me, so did Pew. Gallup

even called Romney ahead very close to the end. But they aren't the ones with all these polls on gun control are they?

Mostly just garbage and inaccurate piles of nonsense from the MSM. That doesn't mean much to me. It may to some,

but it may only skew a few voters, not the House.

Anyway, the House won't pass anything remotely related to Feinstein's perennial effort. Nor will the Senate.

If the Republicans cave on this, it is going to send a lot of them back home. Same thing will happen to the Dems who vote for it,

notwithstanding the true commies that are in the Democrat Party, about 80 or more are exempt from my comment. They are square

on the side of controlling anything.

Rassmusen kept saying up to the day before that Romney was ahead, if my recollection serves me, so did Pew. Gallup

even called Romney ahead very close to the end.

By Gawd I think you're right at least by Rassmusen and Gallup, matter of fact Gallup was among the worst predictors as they oversampled Republicans because they blew the estimate on GOP turnout.  I was erroneously reading 2008 poll story earlier.

My own predictions were that the Dems had far superior ground game, could get the vote out much better, which really did seem to be deciding factor overall. I guess MSNBC was able to crow about all the ones that didn't over sample the Dems, 'cause the Dems came out.

Here's a review of the 2012 polling accuracy:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/which-polls-fared-best-and-worst-in-the-2012-presidential-race/

Not sure though, the other article I was reading was showing how accurate Gallup was in '08 but the above article says they blew 3 in a row. Well, I'm tired of researching.. I guess the big 3 were the ones that were in the minority and those were the ones that Rove and Morris kept harping on.

But they aren't the ones with all these polls on gun control are they?

Here's pretty up to date poll of polls, judge for yourself. Background check issue seems overwhelming on pretty much all of them:

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot