Is anyone going to the range these days?

knox

Guest Lester Weevils
Got plenty of ammo, but its been rainy and/or cold, and still burning a lot of hours remodeling the basement apartment. There is so much to do if you practically tear down to the studs and start over

Wal Mart Turkey Creek had a bunch of 9mm Prvi Partizan in stock yesterday morning at $15 a box. They also had some 45acp WWB for just under $21 a box. And yes, they still had some when I left the store too :D

I was there yesterday about 3:30pm, didnt see any privi 9mm, I probably would have bought some for 15.00.  .45 and .40 has been easy to find, its been at Acadamy every time I went there lately.  Granted stock seems to fluctuate quite a bit these days..

I was there yesterday about 3:30pm, didnt see any privi 9mm, I probably would have bought some for 15.00.  .45 and .40 has been easy to find, its been at Acadamy every time I went there lately.  Granted stock seems to fluctuate quite a bit these days..

I was there around 10am and they had a case worth in the display and another 3 or 4 cases still in the cardboard. I imagine one jackass came in to buy it all up and resell it.

I was there around 10am and they had a case worth in the display and another 3 or 4 cases still in the cardboard. I imagine one jackass came in to buy it all up and resell it.

Its possible some may have been in the cardboard and I missed it, I didnt really go there to buy ammo, just did a quick scan for 22LR and .223 since I was there.  I'd go check later tonight but I have a feeling once it was posted here it will be gone soon  :)

I went to Hendersonville and G&L yesterday to run the Dan Wesson CCO and put a few thru the Shield. Did about a hundred thru each. Man that wore my butt out. I gotta stop taking more than one to the range at a time.

Having had a few rounds put back for the 9, and finding some WWB 45 the other day, I didn't worry too much about it though. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't shoot that often and have tried to get a box or so any time I went near ammo.

It seems to have paid off for me.

Guest ThePunisher
I went to Stones River this past Friday to test out my new Steyr Aug3 NATO CQC I received a couple weeks ago after the FFL at D&T Arms. Only put 60rds of .223 down range after zeroing the RD Sparc at 25 yards dead on bullseye and then getting frustrated at 100 yds. No hiccups at all in this little beauty using Pmags. Great shooting feel and minimal recoil. I don't want to use too much .223 until this ammo shortage is over.

Negative on Academy and Gander.  Walmart Turkey Creek did have some PPU, but I read some negative reviews on them so I passed.  I like to shoot 124 gr, and these were 115 anyway.

Hard to believe Gander sold out all the 9mm they had, there was a ton of it, thats the times I guess.  I have had no problems with the PPU, no different that any other cheap 9mm.

I noticed my local gun shop range was eirely quiet.  I admit that I am conscious of my ammo, but in reality I shouldn't be.  I have at least 1000 factory rounds of all my major calibers, and then I am just beginning my adventure through reloading, and I have the supplies to reload 1000s of my favorite caliber now without ever ordering from the internet or local gun store again.  I find myself wanting more?  Am I sick?

I noticed my local gun shop range was eirely quiet.  I admit that I am conscious of my ammo, but in reality I shouldn't be.  I have at least 1000 factory rounds of all my major calibers, and then I am just beginning my adventure through reloading, and I have the supplies to reload 1000s of my favorite caliber now without ever ordering from the internet or local gun store again.  I find myself wanting more?  Am I sick?

No, you are just taking advantage of the market.  When supply is high, you have been busy buying a non permanent goods for those times when supply is down and price is up. 

Sounds very logical to me.  I bet even Spock would agree.

My wife says I am out looking for "Lead Candy."

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1

Unless money is the reason I don't understand why you don't keep as much ammo on hand as you have room for. 

We recently had to cancel our weekend shooting trip among coworkers because none of them had ammo and couldn't find any. This completely blew my mind. I have an idea how much money they all make so there is no excuse for not keeping at least a few hundred rounds on hand.

My coworkers were suggesting I'm "crazy" for keeping more than a few boxes on hand at a time. One coworker even thought he would try and be funny by suggesting I'm going to "go off on a shooting spree"

These guys are all gun owners but think I'm nuts for keeping a little ammo on hand for the exact situation we are in now. Of course, a few of them voted for Obama and one drives a Prius so I really shouldn't be surprised.

I don't even have that much ammo compared to a lot of people. I have maybe 300 rounds of .38 and only 1000 rounds of 9mm. To my coworkers I'm the next Adam Lanza though. 

• Like 1

Until December 2012, everytime I visited Walmart over the past year or so, I made it purpose to buy a box of ammo, 9mm, 45Auto, 40S&W, 223, 22LR, 12ga, etc. It was sort of punishment to me, to reduce my number of visits to Walmart. Its not uncommon for me to visit Walmart 3-4 times a week, I thought if I made it painful, like spend at least $20-$40 per visit, I would stop. Well my punishment worked, I now just visit 1 to 2 times a week. Now I am very scared I will fall off the wagon, and return to my numerous visits, and this time I have no punishment waiting.

Seriously, I did buy a box each time I went, usually becuase the wife wanted me to pick up some groceries. She was fooled for awhile, until she saw that I was buying a box of ammo each time. Over time she sort of weeded me off the routine, however I did try to buy 1 box per week for close to two years. Then when I went to range, I immeidately replaced what I shot, so my collection just kept building.

Until December 2012, everytime I visited Walmart over the past year or so, I made it purpose to buy a box of ammo, 9mm, 45Auto, 40S&W, 223, 22LR, 12ga, etc. It was sort of punishment to me, to reduce my number of visits to Walmart. Its not uncommon for me to visit Walmart 3-4 times a week, I thought if I made it painful, like spend at least $20-$40 per visit, I would stop. Well my punishment worked, I now just visit 1 to 2 times a week. Now I am very scared I will fall off the wagon, and return to my numerous visits, and this time I have no punishment waiting.

Seriously, I did buy a box each time I went, usually becuase the wife wanted me to pick up some groceries. She was fooled for awhile, until she saw that I was buying a box of ammo each time. Over time she sort of weeded me off the routine, however I did try to buy 1 box per week for close to two years. Then when I went to range, I immeidately replaced what I shot, so my collection just kept building.

Good thinking.

I don't even have that much ammo compared to a lot of people. I have maybe 300 rounds of .38 and only 1000 rounds of 9mm. To my coworkers I'm the next Adam Lanza though. 

I always had a few guns all my life, like never more than five, and usually just 2 or 3. When I almost half accidentally retired early in '07, I just leapt into guns for whatever reason. Just in time for shortages to start appearing, becoming full blown in 08. So I sort of starting grabbing what and when I could from the git go.

And didn't really stop once everything was flowing again, either. As I watched my stashed money making less by the month as interest rates dropped, I figgered damn near anything popular was worth more money than money, and that at worst I'd beat the spread even if I wound up selling a lot of it off once I get too feeble to shoot it for sport or shoot or trade it in the coming meltdown or revolution, so within budget limits, just put left over into ammo here and there. And guns of course, let's not forget the blessed guns.

But all through 98-99, I don't remember a single stretch as bad as from Thanksgiving through now, on availability or pricing of guns or ammo. The impeding second BHO kingdom + Sandy Hook has really been something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Lester Weevils

My coworkers were suggesting I'm "crazy" for keeping more than a few boxes on hand at a time. One coworker even thought he would try and be funny by suggesting I'm going to "go off on a shooting spree"

These guys are all gun owners but think I'm nuts for keeping a little ammo on hand for the exact situation we are in now. Of course, a few of them voted for Obama and one drives a Prius so I really shouldn't be surprised.

Just for curiosity, what kind of gun does a prius-owning-obama-voter shoot?  :)

Cuomo said, "You don't need ten bullets to kill a deer." As best I recall, 1300 rounds is more than 10 rounds! Therefore you definitely don't need 1300 bullets to kill a deer! What kind of sick puppy are you? Assuming one only needs a maximum of seven bullets to kill a deer, you are hoarding enough ammo to kill 185.7 deer! At the very least ASPCA and the Wildlife Authorities should keep an eye on you before you wipe out half the wildlife in the state. Probably wipe out Thumper, Friend Owl, Flower, and all the Woodland Critters just trying to shoot Bambi!

SouthPark814.jpg

I always had a few guns all my life, like never more than five, and usually just 2 or 3. When I almost half accidentally retired early in '07, I just leapt into guns for whatever reason. Just in time for shortages to start appearing, becoming full blown in 08. So I sort of starting grabbing what and when I could from the git go.

And didn't really stop once everything was flowing again, either. As I watched my stashed money making less by the month as interest rates dropped, I figgered damn near anything popular was worth more money than money, and that at worst I'd beat the spread even if I wound up selling a lot of it off once I get too feeble to shoot it for sport or shoot or trade it in the coming meltdown or revolution, so within budget limits, just put left over into ammo here and there. And guns of course, let's not forget the blessed guns.

But all through 98-99, I don't remember a single stretch as bad as from Thanksgiving through now, on availability or pricing of guns or ammo. The impeding second BHO kingdom + Sandy Hook has really been something.

- OS

Not to mention the insanity of everyone and the whole situation.

If there is one good I take from this...  I am not spending money on guns and ammo.  

I just got into this whole hobby / lifestyle last year.  And I want to buy everything I read about.  Right now, the Walther PPQ 9mm and Shield 9mm have me salivating.  

No sense in buying them (if I COULD find them) if I have no ammo to shoot through them.

I've been shooting more 22lr than anything recently. I started buying 22lr back in 08-09 after the first scare. I'd pick up a brick here and there and jump on good deals when I found them. I think I'm set for a little while.

E726BD48-5F51-40B4-8BCA-A113EE84E338-222

I buy jars of cocoa covered almods at Sam's. When empty I fill them with 22's. I have some where between 4 and 5 full. Each holds at least 3 bricks. I also have a bunch of specialized rounds like subsonics and target ammo. But I will also shoot a brick in a day if I am in the mood. I always shoot a few bricks a month now.

I was buying ammo all the time. I would buy 5 bricks at a time. Same thing with the 100 round packs of 12 gauge. I honestly cannot say how much 12 gauge I have but it is north of 1K. Everything else I load as I need it. I do have a "small" amount of ammo loaded but no where near what most other people do. But I also shoot a lot. Even though it sounds like a lot I will go through all of it in under 6 months.

I have actually started shooting my 300 Blackout a lot more because it is cheaper than 22's now.

Have you gotten your Sparrow yet?

We need to get together when you do.

Dolomite