Plinker?

Guest Len

Hey all:

Needing some wisdom from the pistol gurus. Looking for a nice .22lr semi-auto for plinking, etc. I really like the Walther P22, but it does not fit my hands well. I need something with a slightly larger grip/frame. Would like it to be able to stand up to some light abuse. Essentially, I'd like a Glock in .22lr, but I want a new gun, not a conversion kit. Cant say "price is no object," but I dont mind spending for quality.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

-Len

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN
hahahaha I don't hate them..aside from me not having confidence in the design, or the safety features, and it being overpriced, I think its a FINE pistol!:)

one of the best made!

Whats left?:(

Whats wrong with the AA conversion for the Glock?

Nothing wrong with the AA conversion kits. When the XD kit comes out, I'm buying one. But since he wants a new gun, not a conversion kit, nothing much that can be done to get a Glock in .22LR unless he wants to buy the kit, and an extra Glock to leave the AA upper installed on permanently. Which isn't a bad idea IMO.

For a semi-auto, the 22's I see the most are Walther P22's or Sig Mosquitos these days. I like the Sig a little better because it's bigger, and fits my hand. They've also got a threaded barrel version now if you ever feel compelled to sign over your first born to the BATFE for the privilege of Class III ownership.

Nothing. I just want another gun, I want to keep my G19 just as it is now -its my carry gun and I dont want to mess with it. I suppose I could buy another Glock and then convert it, but that's more $ that could be saved for the must-have AR-15!

-Len

Whats wrong with the AA conversion for the Glock?

The Ruger Mk2/3 pistols are nice, so is the Browning Buckmark, but my biggest gripe with all three is that they're so difficult to take down for cleaning. I also don't like how the slide doesn't move on them, but that's a personal preference on my part. The Mosquito is a .22LR chambered 90% size version of the P226 in 9mm.

The other nice thing about the Mosquito is it comes with multiple front sight blades so you can play around with them to find the best sight picture with the stock sights. It also comes with two recoil springs. One for standard ammo, another for ultra high velocity ammo. It also has a standard rail on it if you feel the urge to put a laser sight or weapon light on it.

Yeah, take down on the ruger is terrible. That's why I really like the stainless model. Also, the browning is too pretty to shoot hard. Its a great pistol though.

I'll share one comment on Skwashdem's comment about no slide on the Ruger and Buckmark. I've never had a single jam on my ruger. It digests everything that its been given. I attribute this reliablility to the design. Every full slide pistol I've owned in .22 cal was very dependednt on ammo velocity and/or bullet nose profile. Of course this is opinion and you know how those go.

Guest db99wj
I know a fella that has a colt woodsman? I think it is...NICE 22 pistol! old, but nice.

This is my Colt Frontier Scout 22lr with 22mag cyl.

472049_75_full.jpg

Guest LiLBucket

Rather interesting discussion here. I was at Bass Pro in Kodak this past weekend with the SO and we "grazed" the gun section. She's been showing some interest in shooting and I've been talking about a .22lr pistol. We checked some out (as well as non-.22lr, hehe) and had mixed feelings about most pistols mentioned here.

She REALLY liked the Walther as did I. However, as mentioned, it was to small in my hands. We agreed that it'd be best to get something that we both feel relatively comfortable with as I will more than likely shoot it most.

I'd still like to get her something that is strictly for her to make her feel more included and involved. She hasn't quite come to that side of the fence yet, but I'm working at it!

Nope, nothing relevent added here, just my comments!!! lol

Carry on!

Guest bazookazilla

I am thinking the same thing. I need to find an inexpensive .22 pistol for target practice. I have only had my .40 for a few weeks now, but shooting it has become very expensive very quickly

guys...I went the other day (after I got the smith and wesson) and looked at Gunslingers down on 11w...saw a beretta neo u22

NICE pistol!!!

yesterday I went and looked and held a walther!

of course the SO picked up an xd9 and out of all the pistols we held, she liked that one the most.

*note: Julie has good tastes in firearms

Lilbucket, I would say get her a pistol and talk her into coming down with ya and you guys come and shoot!

I'll be in kingsport on friday sat and sunday..I don't shoot on sunday but you guys are more than welcome to!

plus, my sis in law is a great lady who always has a pot of coffee on.

Guest jackdog

Tower Me thinks Mars has been talking to you way to much. :rock: But to answer Glockings question reliabilty is whats left of the Glock and that why I carry it. But the .22 conversion kits are nice. I just bought my son one about a month ago for his G 23. for plinking you just can't beat a .22.

• 3 weeks later...

hahahaha Jack...I just don't go for the trigger safety thing...I guess I'm old fashioned that way. I was trained myself not to put my finger on the trigger..and I don't until the time comes to drop the firing pin...but that is NOT human nature..and it takes alot of training for someone to realize that.

plus, I like the accuracy I get out of my 9mm browning. :)