I think it might be working

[quote name="xRUSTYx" post="894842" timestamp="1359054020"]That is AWESOME!   If you end up getting a copy of the card, please share!  It would be something great for us all the be able to carry around!   Thanks for sharing![/quote] it looked like the card was printed at home with the business card kit you can get. It did not look like a professional job. I might make some up. I will pick up the paper the next time I am at the store.

Get him hooked on shooting.  Gently remind him that the guy who shot his friend would not have stopped at the door due to a sign, and that the only people he stops are the good guys. 

Best of luck with it.   Most of the places I would like to go that have a sign are corporate policy.   In at least 2 of those, they have given me permission to enter and ignore the sign, though that is of no use to anyone else.  I should try out more mom& pop stuff, might have better luck.

Most excellent.  Care to identify the business?

I will let everyone know after he takes the sign down, I trust most here are great guys but I don't want to take a chance at him getting put off by a flood of emails or publicity. He did state that until these last couple of weeks all he has ever gotten about the gunbuster signs were negative and some were on the threatening side. 

Get him hooked on shooting.  Gently remind him that the guy who shot his friend would not have stopped at the door due to a sign, and that the only people he stops are the good guys. 

Best of luck with it.   Most of the places I would like to go that have a sign are corporate policy.   In at least 2 of those, they have given me permission to enter and ignore the sign, though that is of no use to anyone else.  I should try out more mom& pop stuff, might have better luck.

I figured I had a way better chance of changing the mind of a mom and pop place then taking down a corporate policy. Getting the mom and pop places to change could lead to some small chains changing as well. I know that the response I usually get when I send an email or letter is "most businesses around me are posted" so if we can get more off the doors they can't give that excuse anymore. Then they might rethink that policy if most of the businesses are not posted.

• Like 1
[quote name="DWARREN123" post="895242" timestamp="1359081412"]Those on the fence we can talk to and perhaps gets them to rethink their position on firearms. Those over the cliff are a lost cause to us.[/quote] I treat them as all on the fence. If they are over the fence and you can move them back just a little maybe someday they will be back on the fence. I found the best way to get them at least back on the fence is by taking them shooting. If they won't go shooting atleast offer to buy them lunch and see if they will at least go to the LGS to hold a gun. I have changed many of minds just by letting them hold a gun in a safe environment. I have also found if you let them do most of the talking and don't correct them until they are done with the rant they are more receptive to your corrections.
[quote name="STAHDKnoxville" post="895265" timestamp="1359082141"]I treat them as all on the fence. If they are over the fence and you can move them back just a little maybe someday they will be back on the fence. I found the best way to get them at least back on the fence is by taking them shooting. If they won't go shooting atleast offer to buy them lunch and see if they will at least go to the LGS to hold a gun. I have changed many of minds just by letting them hold a gun in a safe environment. I have also found if you let them do most of the talking and don't correct them until they are done with the rant they are more receptive to your corrections.[/quote] if you are in Memphis offer to buy them lunch and then take them to Range USA, the food is pretty good there.

[quote=STAHDKnoxville]I know that the response I usually get when I send an email or letter is "most businesses around me are posted" so if we can get more off the doors they can't give that excuse anymore.[/quote]

Strange.  I'm not questioning that you actually get that response nor that there are businesses which are posted but I have to wonder where in Knoxville those businesses are located.  Not counting the malls and at least some of the movie theaters, I can count on one hand the number of places in Knoxville that I have actually seen posted - and most of those are corporate chains (Carraba's - which is not a 'legal' posting and, at least at one time, Outback.)  In fact, right off the only 'independent' places I can think of that are posted are the Prince Deli & Sports Bar and Ray's ESG - both of which are as much 'bars' as they are 'restaurants'.  I can't think of any independent 'non-bar' restaurants or other businesses in Knoxville that I have seen posted.  Of course I certainly haven't been to all of them - and must say good for you for working to get this, particular one changed.

Edited by JAB

I had a FTF with a business owner that has a gun buster sign on the door. First it started with him having to meet me outside his restaurant and me buying him lunch at another restaurant within walking distance of his. He seemed a little thrown off that I would even offer that. During our conversation he pulled out a business card that was handed to one of his door guys. The card was an IOU for $20.00 redeemable when this person is legally able to carry in his resturant. It said " I was intending on spending money at your business but you do not allow legal gun carry. This is an IOU for $20 redeemable as soon as the gun buster sign comes down and I can legally carry in your business." It also left contact info for that person. I have never seen this before and apparently it got his attention. I think i might make up some of these cards. He said he contacted me because of an email I sent him letting him know that I would answer any questions he has about why I will not spend any money at his restaurant. Also during that discussion I found out that he has never even held a firearm, and knew a buisness owner that was killed by a robber with a gun. It was a long lunch that seemed very productive. He is meeting me at the range next Friday. He said he is rethinking the gun buster, especially after I asked him to point out where my gun was and he could not. I told him that most people are not OC'ing, they want it to go unnoticed. I will update after we meetup next week.

That is awesome. Once he goes shooting he'll have to have a gun for fun. Once he has one for fun he'll be more open to thinking about its use as a self defense tool. Once he starts thinking that way he's on our side. You have planted the seed my friend. Excellent work.