Mailing the HCP Renewal Application vs person to person

After the state sat on my renewal for two months 4 years ago, I'm renewing earlier this time. My HCP expires in April.  I'd like to make sure I'm reading the instructions correctly for renewal. All I have to do is...

1. Fill out the multi-part form. Sign it, enter SSAN, and date it at the bottom.
  2. Send the form and a check for $50 payable to Dept of Safety.
  3. Mail to this address I found online:

Tennessee Department of Safety
    Handgun Permit Office
    1150 Foster Ave.
    Nashville, Tn 37243-1000

I hate to waste time waiting at the DMV to do this in person, but considering that that they mailed the requested application with no instructions or "mail to" address for the application concerns me. Has anyone renewed by mail recently?  Can I trust the state to get this right?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did mine by mail back in the summer,  took three months and a phone call. That's a slight improvement over the original permit which also took 3 months, but  required 2 phone calls to the office, an email and phone with head of the division.

Never been in the middle of a bell curve in my whole life.

- OS

I went to DMV in the 'boro on Monday. 45 minutes. They took my picture again, I guess since I was there in person they might as well. Didn't want to take a chance on the mail since they sent no address with the application to send it in to. Probably could have done it by mail though. I got a confirmation in the mail the next day that it was being processed.

I got the letter today saying it is being processed, and that if I don't recieve the new one before the old one expires, to keep letter with you and old permit. It said it could take three months, mine dosen't expire til first of May. But then thats why I sent it in this early so as to maybe not have to worry. Guess we will see.

After the state sat on my renewal for two months 4 years ago, I'm renewing earlier this time. My HCP expires in April.  I'd like to make sure I'm reading the instructions correctly for renewal. All I have to do is...

1. Fill out the multi-part form. Sign it, enter SSAN, and date it at the bottom.
  2. Send the form and a check for $50 payable to Dept of Safety.
  3. Mail to this address I found online:

Tennessee Department of Safety
    Handgun Permit Office
    1150 Foster Ave.
    Nashville, Tn 37243-1000

I hate to waste time waiting at the DMV to do this in person, but considering that that they mailed the requested application with no instructions or "mail to" address for the application concerns me. Has anyone renewed by mail recently?  Can I trust the state to get this right?

My 2cents is always go in person. I renewed the 1st time by mail no problem. The 2nd time I renewed by mail I lost $50 to the state and about 2 tanks of gas before I got someone to tell me why my renewal hadn't been processed in 4 months. It seems they started requiring a copy of your birth certificate sometime after my 1st renewal and 2nd. So finally I got all my stuff in and had to pay the fee again because the renewal letter didn't say anything about changes to what they needed on it.

Guest Springfield1911guy

Did mine by mail back in the summer,  took three months and a phone call. That's a slight improvement over the original permit which also took 3 months, but  required 2 phone calls to the office, an email and phone with head of the division.

Never been in the middle of a bell curve in my whole life.

- OS

Wow OS, I'm surprised to hear the original took you 3 months to get. I had mine 3 weeks to the day after I sent in the paper work. I guess I jut got lucky. That doesn't happen very often..lol.

Wow OS, I'm surprised to hear the original took you 3 months to get. ..

Well, 4 years ago the average was more like 6-8 weeks, but mine was extra irritating.

Worse, though, the renewal took just as long this summer; I was one day away from having to carry the letter of receipt around with expired permit. Now that I think about it, it was closer to four months actually, as I had requested the renewal form before the one showed up in mail they automatically send.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

This is a follow-up by the OP. I mailed my form in on January 28 and received a letter from the state on Feb 6 that they were processing my application. Since it takes 10 minutes at a dealer, you'd think the state could save the money on sending the letter and just do the check and send me my HCP.   The letter is a temporary license until the HCP arrives and my HCP doesn't expire until April, but with all the fuss over gun control, I wasn't going to wait until the last minute.

FWIW I went to the Anderson Co. driver license office last week to pick up a renewal app and was told by the clerk that you can not renew by mail.  When I called DOS in Nashville I was advised all they need is the white copy and that the applicant keeps the yellow.  She did not say what to do with the remaining copies so I've chosen to send them.

Having said that my question is:

If you renew early by mail does your new permit come back with the new expiration date 4 years from when the old permit was due to expire or does it come back with the new expiration 4 years from when its issued.  For example if you are due in June 2013 but send the renewal off in Janruary 2013 and it takes 60 days meaning you get the new permit around March 30 does the new permit expire 4 years from June 2013 (i.e. June 2017) or does the expiration date change to 4 years from March 30 making it March 30, 2017 meaning you lose 90 days?

Got my renewal in the mail from the dep of homeland security , envolope with one white paper in it to send back after filled out and signed with a 50.00 ck to send back to state of tn. P.O. Box 198990 Nashville tn. 37219-8990

If you renew early by mail does your new permit come back with the new expiration date 4 years from when the old permit was due to expire ...

Mine shows an expiration date of four years from the date the previous one would have expired.  So, no, you don't appear to lose time by renewing early.

...if you renew early by mail does your new permit come back with the new expiration date 4 years from ...

Mine shows an expiration date of four years from the date the previous one would have expired.  So, no, you don't appear to lose time by renewing early.

Correct. Original date of issue is used, long as you file renewal before expiration.

- OS