Emergency Radio

Guest brentt

Does anyone have any experience or want to share input about a good Emergency crank and/or battery powered radio? Was in the market for one and was gonna see if any of you guys had any recommendations. All useful info is appreciated so dont be bashful.

You crank it for something like 2 minutes and the radio will run quite a while before the battery drains down. Also, with the solar cell, you don't have to crank at all to keep it charged if you have sun. I've never actually timed how long it lasts on a 2 min crank. Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I have had good luck with Eton radios.. I have an older model Red Cross Eton. It has weather, am and fm. Bought it on Ebay years ago. Still works great. Will look into solar cells to keep the radio charged. :cool:

I also have one of the older style Eton Red Cross models, it features AM, FM, VHF, UHF bands + NOAA bands, it runs off the rechargeable crank battery pack or you can flip the switch & use the AA's, it has small LED lights that are handy for interior lighting inside a tent, they can also be set to "flash" for emegency signaling purposes, like most other radios of this type it can also recharge cellphones & other devices via the adaptor.

The durability of the Eton has been outstanding, it has been used and abused regularly ever since I first bought almost 10 years ago, it always goes with me hiking, camping, fishing, as well as gets used in my workshop, etc, the antenna is broken but it still picks up a great signal thanks to the dual tuning dials & the battery hatch has duct-tape on it to keep it closed, not because it is busted but because I want to make absolutely certain the hatch stays closed & the batteries & crank pack stays put no matter how much it gets dropped or banged around.

Anyway I think these types of radio's are great investments to keep informed on the weather, news, etc during any sort of wilderness adventure, as well as for any potential shtf emergency.

If I ever need to replace the one I own, it would probably be one of the models with the FRS/GMRS two-way radio built into it, for use as a base/camp radio to compliment our more mobile two-way handsets.
  • Like 1

I have a Midland XT511.  It can run on AA batteries, hand crank, AC adapter, or 12v lighter adapter and comes with all the required hardware.  It is an AM/FM/Weather band receiver and can receive and transmit on GMRS.  It has a little flashlight built in and a USB port so you can charge a cell phone.  It also has an alarm clock.   Great quality.  Hasn't disappointed me yet.  The price probably isn't worth it if you only want a weather radio, but if you want to be able to talk to others it's tough to beat.  I haven't seen many other products like it.

https://midlandusa.com/two-way-radios/product/xt511-base-camp/

I got a 'Midland ER102 Emergency Radio with NOAA Weather' for about $35. I like all the extra features including usb phone charging on rear. It's like the XT511 functionally but without the two way talk. One consideration I didn't realize at the time, it's not like an at home unit that will 'come on' to alert you of new S.A.M.E. alerts in your 5digit FIPS county code. It has to be actively powered on either to a weather channel or fm channel to issue alert tone. & not programmable for fips just receives truncated. But I like the lightweight, slim portability good for a pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-ER102-Emergency-Radio-Weather/dp/B000P0M99U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359762493&sr=8-1&keywords=er102