What are thoughts on Sig p226 & p220

JG55

I would like to ask the Sig guys about these 2 handguns, any issues, quality accuracy etc. Never owned one and I am lusting after the p226 scorpion elite 9mm as well as the p220 scorpion elite 45acp.  Just don't want to make a $1000 mistake. Thanks for your Help..

I have an older p226 9mm, and two newer p229s in .40 and 9mm. All are more accurate than I am. They do require more lube on the frame rails than some models but that's more of a learning point when cleaning/caring for than an "issue". Some who have owned more than I have will say that quality as slipped since the manufacture moved to the states, and I'll admit that the new p229s seem easily as well machined and finished as my older HKs(never had the joy of a NIB sig until recently) were out of the box, but they are by no means any less desirable to me b/c they were made in NH. They may not make as good safe queens as they once may have been, but the classic lines (p226, p229,p220,p227 ect) are still great shooters IMHO.

Edited by 2.ooohhh

I have a 2011 226 TACOPS that I bough and took the extended grips off of and put the Hogue G10 extremes on and older German made Sig 226.  They both are great shooters, never had a problem out of either.  Mags are getting hard to find just like all the others though currently.

http://grayguns.com/lubrication-of-sig-sauer-pistol-rails/

These guns take very well to a quality grease(I use froglube or tw25b) being applied reasonably liberally to the rails. I've owned some guns that need just a few precise drops of rem oil in the right spots but my new sigs function noticibly better when a proper grease is evenly applied to the entire rail. (My p226 is much less picky about lube but I believe that has more to do with the fact that it has10k+ rounds thorugh it)

You can't go wrong with either.  I can't speak to the extra lube question because I've never heard anything like that.  Sig built their factory in the USA to circumvent the import restrictions on firearms and the requirement for military contractors to be in the United States (at least that is my understanding).  As far as I am aware, there is no difference in the construction or specs of US made pistols versus German made pistols.

Guest Bassman17SC

As has been previously mentioned, you cannot go wrong with either the P226 or the P220.  I own a P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm and used to own a P220 Elite Stainless (i traded the 220 on an Ed Brown 1911).  They are both accurate, reliable pistols.  I will never sell or trade my 226.

I was issued a sig 229 and yes they require more lube than say... a glock.  With a thin gun oil like remoil my 229 would barely fire 50 rds before it would start failing to go into battery.  With grease on the rails (or a better gun oil like breakfree) it would shoot hundreds of rounds without a problem.  Sigs are like ar15's.  They prefer to be run "wet".  In comparison glocks and DA revolvers are more suited to run almost dry.

To the original question I do think the older European made Sigs are better made than the new sigs full of elcheapo MIM parts.

I think the 220 and 226 are two of the best fighting handguns ever made.

Edited by AUG
When I bought my P220 brand new, I sent to the Sig custom shop for a few upgrades,

SRT. Short reset trigger
Night Sites, polished throat
Action enhancement

All of these upgrades make it the best Sig I can imagine, it is only second to my 1911's.
I absolutely love it and seriously doudt that I will ever part with it, every time I think about it (as I have had several buy offers for much more than I have in it) I can not do it. If I ever get a 226 or any other Sig I will send it in for the action and trigger work, it is simply amazing what a difference it makes. Edited by willis68

When I bought my P220 brand new, I sent to the Sig custom shop for a few upgrades,

SRT. Short reset trigger
Night Sites, polished throat
Action enhancement

I have avoided the SRT simply becuase I have like 6 Sig pistols, and if I get it for one, I know I will have to have it for all. I have read too many times that SRT is the bomb! I do have a question, what is meant by the polished throat and action enhancement? What performance is gained? Just curious, I have not seen that before unless it is called something else.

Edited by Runco

I have several Sigophile friends who tried to "turn" me to their way of thinking.  One is a Sig Armorer.  They had me for awhile when I had the X5 Tactical.  I've only owned 3 Sigs but had several on lone for a couple months from one of these "friends" all SAOs except for the pair of 239s, one with SRT and the other without, I liked the non-SRT better in that pistol.  X5 is a great service sized pistol and easy to shoot accurately.  Even with a custom holster that prevented the safety from pushing off I don't like carrying SAO Sigs cocked and locked.  The others I had on loan were SAO 220s, very accurate and easy to shoot well, but like the X5, too big for me to carry.  As for carrying the 239s I didn't like they way they shot, recoil impulse or muzzle flip.  I didn't like the way they came to hand. I like my Galloway/RTK enhanced LC9 much better than the 239s.  Most who know me know I will try anything and have them all or at least free shooting access to a lot.  I still carry a Keltec .32, G19 or the LC9 (enhanced).    Your mileage and tastes may vary.

Part of the reason I have asked about these 2 is that I was at a LGS who had both in stock. I put the P226 in my hand and it felt like a glove. A very good fit. Honestly surprised me! I have a CZ 75  which  has always felt right in my hand as say compared to a Glock. or M&P. The cz 75 is better and more accurate than me and makes me a better shooter which in turn made wonder if I had been missing something with the sigs.  Both cz and sig felt natural in my hand. I liked that.   As we all know sometimes we buy something and than for whatever reason we decide not for me. Don't want to do that with a $1000 gun . . 

I commented to the store clerk how good the sig felt in my hand. He replied that it was the Beavertail and g10 grips.  I think that was right as the sig without the beavertail did not have the same feel. Dous the beavertail make that much of a difference? Never thought about it before. 

Thanks a lot I believe you guys are going to cost me alot of money  :rofl:  I am really lusting after the scorpion versions with the cerokote finish  :rock:

Any opinions on durability of cerakote ?

Guest Bassman17SC

My P226 EE has a beavertail and I love it; it gives me the visible impression of a 1911 and it provides a nice high grip.  

The cerokote finish is vulnerable to wear from holstering/unholstering, more than the Sig black finish (from what I've heard from owners).

If you take a trip over to the Sig Forum, you would find all kinds of good stuff.

I have avoided the SRT simply becuase I have like 6 Sig pistols, and if I get it for one, I know I will have to have it for all. I have read too many times that SRT is the bomb! I do have a question, what is meant by the polished throat and action enhancement? What performance is gained? Just curious, I have not seen that before unless it is called something else.

I think that is the reason I do not own a bunch of Sigs, I would have to have all of these upgrades done to each pistol as well!

I also put a set of re checkered Houge grips on
image_zps01e91744.jpg

Man I love my P220!

For The Action Enhancement, the trigger pull DA is lowered considerably, there is a huge difference

The polishing of the throat is supposed to help with feeding any types of ammo, I think they threw that in for free with my other upgrades

Here is a link to he PDF of what is offered.

Mine has all the following done to it
Sig P220 Custom shop upgrades

SRT
AEP
SSP
FRP

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/CUSTOMSHOP_pricelist_03-12.pdf Edited by willis68

Got three of them........two P226's and a P229.  Had some minor problems with certain ammo on the P229 until I got it broke in and started using grease on the rails.  The P226 has been totally flawless and is the most accurate handgun in my hands that I own. 

Got three of them........two P226's and a P229.  Had some minor problems with certain ammo on the P229 until I got it broke in and started using grease on the rails.  The P226 has been totally flawless and is the most accurate handgun in my hands that I own. 

I keep grease on the rails of mine as well.  I never had any function problems with Break Free, but like knowing the grease won't evaporate or creep like oil.

I have strongly considering having the SRT installed on my P226.  From the comments here, I may just have to break down and do it.

Guest Hannibal82

I just got a sig 226 scorpion with the threaded barrel, and I have to say it the the best feeling handgun I own. I have been drooling over them for about a year now and I finally broke down and bought one.

I was in the process of saving my pennies for a nighthawk custom 1911, but i just couldnt wait anymore so i broke down and spent it on the 226. Honestly I believe i made the right decision, the 226 is an amazing gun.

[quote name="East_TN_Patriot" post="896593" timestamp="1359215670"]I keep grease on the rails of mine as well.  I never had any function problems with Break Free, but like knowing the grease won't evaporate or creep like oil.   I have strongly considering having the SRT installed on my P226.  From the comments here, I may just have to break down and do it.[/quote] I'm actually using some plain ole white lithium on mine and problems went away. The problems I had were only with my reloads and primarily with PMC cases. Only gun that has ever given problems with my reloads. Since I eliminated the PMC cases and started using grease, no more problems. That was with the P229. The P226 has still remained flawless in every way.

Before retirement, I carried a 226, sometimes a 228, and occasionally a 220 or 230.  I loved shooting all four but, back in the early '90s SIG told us to only "lightly" oil the rails and I experienced some FTFs and FTEs with the 220 after 100-200 rounds at the range.  I then started using grease, liberally, and had no more problems.  I use tw25 now on all my guns.  On the origional 226 vs 220 question...I have no experience with the scorpion eletes but, I bought my 226 when I retired because it felt better in my hand and I could shoot it quicker with better accuracy.