What are thoughts on Sig p226 & p220

JG55

I own 4 Sigs including a P226 and P220 Carry SAS. They are both extremely reliable and accurate. I have only had 1 FTE on the P226 and that was with the 1st box of ammo ... I suspect that was due to weak ammo (Remington UMC) and strong springs. Or maybe I limp wristed that one. The P220 has been flawless. On the P226, I replaced the short reach trigger with a standard trigger and replaced the plastic guide rod with a Gray Guns stainless steel rod. On the P220, I replaced the polymer grips with rosewood. The polymer grips were too slick for my tastes.

MySigP226Ra.JPG

MySigP220a.JPG

Edited by 10P8TRIOT
Replaced photobucket links
  • Like 1
Guest DAVID RICHARDS

I have a half dozen Sigs. All of them older models. All of them DA/SA. All of them have been 100% reliable and are target gun accurate. The 226 is used by some of the finest fighting forces in the world. Not to mention many Federal, State, and local LEO's. I prefer the older guns because I have seen the quality go downhill a bit on th newer guns the past couple of years. Lots of their new designs have had to have recalls. But to be fair so has Ruger and other companies. I prefer the short triggers on most of my guns and put the slimmer E2 grips on my 226 and 229. And the factory slim grips on my 220. Not saying you won't get a good gun if you buy a new Sig. Just appears a greater chance of maybe getting a problem gun. But they will fix it if you do.

Chuck Taylor who like Cooper did not care for DA/SA guns but in his book gave high praise to both the 226 and 220. If you get one you will probably want more. My 229 has 30,000 rounds through it. It rattles and shakes. But stillshoots as well as the first day I got it. Don't eer remember it not working in all those rounds. I like the regular plain jane P-series guns. Some of the newer typs don't appeal to me. But ariety is a good thing I guess. 

I have a p228 that is my wife's. Excellent gun, mine is circa 1990 and DAO has a hideous trigger pull but for what it's for that's fine. I personally prefer glock still but it's hard to argue with the beauty that is the sig p220/226. Even with the stout trigger accuracy is amazing, reliability is right there with my glocks, at least on my sample.

Btw if anyone has any Wolff mainsprings that would lighten the da pull down to a reasonable 5-6lbs instead of the now finger numbing 12lbs then please send me a pm I would be in the market :)
Guest dont_tread_on_me
2.0's link to gray guns lube article is a good one, Bruce knows about as much as anyone on the subject.

Willis, is Hogue still offering the recheckering?

Regarding Sig's current QC - I have read a first hand account from a former Sig USA employee that machining has never been better on the parts that they make. The rub is on the contract parts, which are supplied by outside contracts and are the MIM parts that have been breaking. Personally, I can attest to handling all ages of classic series pistols and have noticed that the triggers got worse in the last few years. However, I recently handled a new (not broken in) P226E2 that had an awesome trigger. I'd suggest dry firing the gun before you buy it - good Exeter guns do exist, they don't all have to be carbon slide German guns to be worth a damn.

I've owned several P220's in SS and Black. Great guns and very accurate. I have the P220 DA/SA std model with short trigger, std plastic grips, ss guide rod and a 18# mainspring.  Very smooth trigger and cuts a 2" hole out of the center of a 15 yd target. I've had the P226, but prefer the slimmer P220 and 45 acp.

I've had a p229 .40 for a long time. I use grease and not lube. She runs flawlessly with all types of ammo. Thinking back, not sure when I had my last jam even... if ever? Sigs seem to like grease over lube though. I also had a p226 DAK, and let me tell you, I realized how fast I hated the DAK trigger. Sold that thing off after one range trip. My p229 has a SRT trigger in it, and I don't think I could ever get another Sig without it. Love it. 

Thanks for all the helpful advice and comments about Sig's. My Sig P220 Scorpion Elite arrived today. First impressions are that it is a beautiful gun if a gun can be  that. I loved the lines and the look of the Scorpion Elite it exudes awesomeness.  :up:   The feel and weight feels like quality and it fits my hand nicely. I like the g10 grips. I have ammo being delivered today and I can't wait to get to the range. 

Will need Holster recommendations.

SIGP220003_zps18d33b27.jpg

SIGP220001_zps2031641e.jpg

SIGP220002_zps4fec7c5c.jpg