My "I Want An AR Thread"

This is my " I know very little about them, but I really want one" thread!

I've been having a serious hankering for an AR15 of some sort, but the more I read, the more confused I get. I've been spending a whole lot of time over at AR15.com, but all the info is leaving me batty. So many options, and I have no clue where to begin.

I do know that I'd like something similar to this, but it doesn't need to be exact.

44496ss3.jpg

I do know that I want that stock, a very similar grip, and a smooth and sleek type hand guard. I also know that I do not want a handle. Optic ready is what I'm after. And I'd really really like to stay under $800. I'm not sure if all this is possible, but it's what I'm after.

I'm also unsure about the barrel. I guess a 16" or 18"(?) barrel would be good, but do I go chrome lined or not? From what I understand, the chrome lined barrels last longer, but may be slightly less accurate. Then today, I had someone tell me that I need to go with an M4 barrel. The way it was explained to me, an M4 barrel rotaes with every shot? This just sounds more expensive?

Anyway, that's about as far as I've gotten so far. As you can tell, I probably have more questions that I do answers.

Will Be Continued!

Oh, and this rifle will not need to be set up for lasers, lights, toasters or microwaves. Some optics is about it.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a S&W M&P15.

are you wanting to stay with 5.56mm?

sounds like this is going to be target/benchrest shooter only? no home defense or tacticool toys?

that looks to be an 18"-22" barrel

i can say that i have NEVER heard of a "M4 barrel" rotating every shot....

Having been in the computer world for the last 25 years building an AR reminds me a lot of trying to decide what to put in a homebuilt computer. The choices are virtually endless.

At least you seem to have an idea of what you want it to look like and what you plan to do with it. That's the necessary first step. And you've set a price limit. That's the second step.

I would suggest you keep reading and make a list, either by saving websites or writing down brands, etc., of the things you see and like with their prices from different sources.

Don't fall into the trap of "must have it now". Have fun with the planning and purchasing. You'll enjoy the rifle that much more.

These things are like cars, buy your base model and do what you want to it afterward.

My recommendation, get the Rock River Arms A4 flat top and order the ACE stock, either from them as a mod, or online and then put it on and save the collapsible or standard stock for "when ever".

Grab an Eotech and your ready to go.

800 bucks and you don't have any of it yet....gonna be tough!

I will state that Rock River has gone up a bit since I bought mine.

Then go to Yankee Hill Mfg and get your free float tube there.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=225

http://www.yhm.net/store/forearms.html

http://jsgunparts.com/jsstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

With all the vendors here, you could probably email a few and find something close to what your looking for already on their shelves. Holler at Hero Gear, he was gearing up for a group buy on lowers. If you get your lower, 90% of the battle is done. Nothing else requires you to do the Fed Forms and TICs. Everything else, including a full upper can come to your doorstep via UPS!

Edited by Rightwinger

Yes, I'd like to stay with the 5.56/.223

I may have heard him wrong when he said something about the barrel rotating. I know he said the barrel would rotate, but it may not have been an M4.

By the way, the $800 price limit would likely be without optics. I'm fairly sure of that.

sounds like you are going to need to get a base model AR in A3 configuration(flat top) and add your stock, grip, and handguard.

are you wanting a barrel that extends that far past the longer handguards like the one pictured? that is a 20" barrel pictured, most common one is a 16" on a standard M4

the AR would be the perfect platform to put that ACOG on....

No, the barrel doesn't need to extend quite that far. I was hoping I could use a shorter barrel with a shorter handguard.

I just like the smooth and clean look of a rifle like the one I pictured. The only thing that needs to be exact is the stock.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I've had great luck with:

Spikes Tactical Lowers

DPMS parts kit for the lower

Rock River Arms or Doublestar uppers.

Build it the way you want it...then you'll come up with more ideas...optics, stocks, fore ends, etc.

It never ends

TDR,

I'll let you shoot my RRA anytime you want. If you can come up to the Bethpage/Westmoreland area this weekend we can throw some lead down range at my brothers place.

I might even let you pull the trigger on the big version in 458 SOCOM.

That one has the ACE stock you like on it.

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

That sounds like a plan to me. I'd really appreciate that. If the weather permits, I will take you up on that offer.

I really need to make it to some shoots, so I can get a chance to really check them out and learn as much as I can from everyone else. I know almost nothing about them.

No problem at all. I'm off Friday and Saturday. Late mornings are best as its still relatively cool and of course the family will be doing eats and fireworks Friday night. Sunday after church is also doable. Let me know.

I'll PM you my cell phone and we can schedule it up.

No problem at all. I'm off Friday and Saturday. Late mornings are best as its still relatively cool and of course the family will be doing eats and fireworks Friday night. Sunday after church is also doable. Let me know.

I'll PM you my cell phone and we can schedule it up.

Thanks again. I have plans most of the day on the 4th, but again, that's all weather permitting. They are calling for chances of rain from now until next week.

Question-

I've seen some rifles for sale, and they call them a "clone". Example is M16A4 Clone. Does that simply mean it's an AR15 made to look like the M16?

Yep, look alikes. Same thing as the mil version, just no happy switch.

One of the popular terms is M4gery

Guest Verbal Kint
Hell, next year we may not even be able to buy a rifle.

Yeah, was about to add that the elections are THIS year. Who knows what will happen. It's not quite time to run out and start buying everything now... but only time will tell.

Guest Verbal Kint
That's why I have a stripped lower sitting in the safe....just in case they don't want me to get any more later!

Yeah. I've got two receivers that just went out for engraving, and sending out the paperwork for the tax stamps in the next couple of days. One will immediately be built into an SBR that I'm collecting the parts for... and one will remain in the safe for a future build.

I've mainly planned to do this anyway, but I'm also getting it out of the way now so I don't have to worry about the coming election. Like I said... I don't think it's time to panic and go impulse buying... but better safe than sorry. :shake: