My "I Want An AR Thread"

Guest Major Pain
Lol, yeah. Colt people live in their own little world.

I knew I shouldn't have wandered over here in the wrong bleachers.----MP

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also have never heard of a rotating barrel on a AR or M4 but the bolt does rotate as it moves in and out of lock up.

i do have a question, to me when i think M4 i think SBR, 14.5" barrel with a military contour barrel so the M203 can be mounted to it. is this correct?

Guest Verbal Kint

Yep. :mad:

EDIT: Although "M4" has now become the generic term for any shortened (under 16") AR. But your thinking is spot-on, if you want to be technical.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Yes, I'd like to stay with the 5.56/.223

I may have heard him wrong when he said something about the barrel rotating. I know he said the barrel would rotate, but it may not have been an M4.

By the way, the $800 price limit would likely be without optics. I'm fairly sure of that.

Del-Ton is producing complete rifles now, and I've heard great things about them. PM Joe @ Hero-Gear about one.

Guest gcrookston

I thought I was done with AR's when I got rid of these two last year (Armalite and 1964 SP1):

dsc00157bm9.jpg

Then a couple weeks ago I take a beat-up old army pistol down to hero gear while Joe is out of town and trade it to Dan for an M4 (well, I had all these extra magaines...)... Then this week, I take another dingy old battered Army pistol down to Hero Gear, but this time Joe was there and now I've another AR...

DSC00112.jpg

Now I'm fresh out of bunged up old Army Pistols but there is this AR10 down there... I need to get out of town before I trade my 93 for an L6

Edited by gcrookston
  • Administrator

Triple Digit Fidget...

If you're thinking about an AR for slightly more "marksman-like" activities and are still considering optics, Easily Obsessed let me shoot his AR with a Millett DPM-1 optic on it at the last TGO shoot and I am sold on it as a nice scope for medium-range applications.

The best part is they are silly cheap. :D

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/tactical_dms

dms_2008_2.jpg

Thanks for the helpful info, Tungy.

Seems most places have them for roughly $200. That's much easier to swallow than the $700 optics.

Triple Digit Fidget...

If you're thinking about an AR for slightly more "marksman-like" activities and are still considering optics, Easily Obsessed let me shoot his AR with a Millett DPM-1 optic on it at the last TGO shoot and I am sold on it as a nice scope for medium-range applications.

The best part is they are silly cheap. :2cents:

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/catalog/tactical_dms

dms_2008_2.jpg

Guest Wilson1

I too was an AR newbie recently - I sort of wanted one but not desperately. Then election time started geting closer. Figured I had better do it now unless bad things happen in November. I purchased a Bushmaster made Dissipator A2 sights, collapsible stock. After the first range trip - I realized why everyone loves these things (ARs in general). Soooo - weeks later I went to a gunshow and picked up a Sabre Defence stripped lower and a LPK. Went home and immediately assembled it. Then began the upper search. Finally settled on a Bushmaster 16" M4 patrolman upper A3 sights. Installed it on the SD lower. It shoots great also, but I really prefer the feel and look of the rifle length stock that the 16" Dissipator provides versus the shorter carbine stock.

Oh yeah, my girlfriend much prefers the ARs over my AKs. First time shooting - she's ringing swinging steel plates using the Dissipator with regularity - at 300 yards - with iron sights! She kept saying "look I hit it!" Me - I just smiled REAL big.

Mike

Guest bkelm18

If you have a choice of anything pre or post ban, get the pre. Chances are, anything post ban will have been neutered in some way.

Guest Wilson1

Pre / Post ban - I think has to do with threaded muzzle and the evil bayonet lug , might be more. I'm sure the longtime AR guys can enlighten us some more...

Mike

Guest Wilson1

TDR - just saw what I think is a deal in the TGO firearms for sale forum -Doublestar upper on a DPMS lower 16" A2 sights, CAR stock $650.00 - less than 300 rounds through it - check it out...

Mike

Guest bkelm18
What do you mean by "neutered"?

Well the "ban" part is referring to the Assault Weapons Ban, which is still in effect in many areas. Anything post ban will be lacking certain evil features that a pre ban would have.

Guest bkelm18
What's the difference between Pre and Post-Ban lower? Want pre-Ban there , too?

I don't think there is any physical difference in the two, only in name. If you were building an AR where the AWB was still in effect, you would have to use a post ban lower and upper. Since we aren't under an AWB in TN, I don't think it really matters.

Guest bkelm18
I notice that some rifles say 5.56, some say .223 remington, and some say .223 Wylde. Are these the same thing? Both .223 and 5.56 ammo can be used? Does it really matter?

.223 and 5.56 are the same physical size, however 5.56 is loaded hotter. If the gun is marked 5.56, then you can shoot 5.56 or .223 from it. If it is marked .223 then you can NOT shoot 5.56 from it, only .223. Doing so would damage the gun and possibly injure the shooter.

the only place i have seen .223wylde is on rock river arms website, it explains that it allows .223 and 5.56x45mm to be used in that chamber. 5.56mm can also shoot .223. i think that .223 chambers can only fire .223 and not 5.56x45mm or rather that it is not reccommended as the chamber is nto supported sufficiently for 5.56mm as 5.56 is basically just a higher pressure .223

Guest bkelm18
And what about the barrel-- Chrome lined or not?

Personally I'd go with the chrome lined. It protects against corrosion. Some say you lose a little accuracy but mine always shot better than me.