Knoxville, Chattanooga and Memphis Mayors Come Out as Anti 2A! Time for Recall Petitions!

Wharton wants stronger punishments for gun theft.

"I hope to have the legislature enhance the punishment for criminals who use stolen guns at the local level," he said. "I want to seek increased bail for folks who are possessing stolen guns."

I can barely comment on the ignorance of that statement. If the gun used in a crime wasn't stolen, everythings fine. Let's not increase punishment for any gun related crime, just if the gun was stolen. Why? Better still, why guns? How about anytime a weapon is used? Is being robbed at gunpoint worse than being robbed at knifepoint or with a baseball bat? Lets ask the next of kin of those killed by tire irons or hammers how happy they were that a gun wasn't used.

Before running for office, you should be required to submit an EEG showing actual brainwave activity. Some politicians would never qualify. Maybe it should be the same for voting. I can hear the dems now. "You can't suppress voting just 'cause folks can't think. What about all those voters in Chicago area cemetaries that excercise their voting rights for decades after brain activity stops? It's not right to disenfranchise the formerly living."

How about that! A rant and humor in one post. I feel like I accomplished something today. :up:

This is what happened in Illinois and it will happen here unless something is done. Cities might not be able to make gun laws, but these mayors and other city politicians wield a lot of voter power over those that do. Voters in these large cities blame guns because their kids get killed or end up in prison because they used guns in crimes. They take no responsibility for raising a criminal; it’s always the fault of guns, drugs, or Police.

People living off the government or working for the government are becoming the majority. They want gun control.

At least one of those might be a little correct ;)  Our failed war on drugs is the cause of a lot of death.  How can any rational adult say that our continued prohibition against drugs isn't causing more damage than the use of drugs at this point?

The murder rate is only high in cities over 250,000, and the vast majority of the murders (and other violent crime) in those cities can be linked back to the prohibition on drugs.

The price for a kilo of coffee in Nashville, about $16, the price for a kilo of cocaine $34,000, and yet we wonder why people are fighting over street corners, and robbing people to provide for their drug habit.  When was the last time a house was robbed by a caffeine addict? 

This is what happened in Illinois and it will happen here unless something is done. Cities might not be able to make gun laws, but these mayors and other city politicians wield a lot of voter power over those that do. Voters in these large cities blame guns because their kids get killed or end up in prison because they used guns in crimes. They take no responsibility for raising a criminal; it’s always the fault of guns, drugs, or Police.

People living off the government or working for the government are becoming the majority. They want gun control.

Edited by JayC

we are about to have another mayor election anyway in chatt.   And the leader is a no-comment democrat atm, he will not take a stand on ANYTHING lest he be voted against by ANYONE.  His pathetic strategy is working, sadly.   He promises to clean up chatt's crime problems, hopefully that isnt code for gun control but who knows? 

A recall of the current doofus has been tried and he slipped by on a technicality.  At this point, replacement is too close to fool with it.

we are about to have another mayor election anyway in chatt.   And the leader is a no-comment democrat atm, he will not take a stand on ANYTHING lest he be voted against by ANYONE.  His pathetic strategy is working, sadly.   He promises to clean up chatt's crime problems, hopefully that isnt code for gun control but who knows? 

A recall of the current doofus has been tried and he slipped by on a technicality.  At this point, replacement is too close to fool with it.

You talking about Burk?  I live outside the city limits (for now any way, they are trying to annex every nice neighborhood within 50 miles while skipping the poor ones) so I have to admit I havent studied up much on who is running.  Our current mayor is the bigest douche bag ever to hold that position.

• Like 1

How can any rational adult say that our continued prohibition against drugs isn't causing more damage than the use of drugs at this point?

I can; and my experience allows me to say it without reservation. You and I may not agree on much of anything but I doubt you think I am irrational.
  • Like 1
my response to Ron

"I'm talking about bulletproof clothing, armor-piercing ammunition and large capacity magazines, all of those things which are not hunting-related."

"I know that many, particularly those in Tennessee, are wrapping themselves in the Second Amendment," Littlefield said. "That is a little simple in terms of a response at this."

Ron, I respectfully disagree with your stance on my second amendment rights. The second amendment is not about hunting. To say that me standing up for my second amendment right is being "simple" is extremely insulting.

I have a TN carry permit, my carry gun that I use every day to protect my family and my self holds the same amount of rounds that the Chattanooga police department uses.

My home protection gun is an ar-15, it is loaded with 30 "armor piercing rounds" their have been crime reports of home invasions of 3 people using bullet proof vest and being armed. How many rounds and what rounds should I be able to use to defend myself against that? Can the police make it to my home to prevent my death?

Are you aware that TN police officers have been given the go ahead to use their personal ar-15 rifles on duty provided they go through a 3 day course? Should you limit tools at their disposal the same way you are wanting to limit mine? They aren't going hunting, they use them the same way I do to protect myself.

We live in one of the top 20 highest crime cities. Can you honestly say that me the responsible gun owner is part of that problem? Can you honestly say that a criminal will comply with a new gun law?

Ron I may be a simple man but I do understand my second amendment right. It is God given and unalienable. I understand that I have the right to protect myself and family.
Guest semiautots

Perhaps we should begin to demand "common sense" restrictions on the practice of religion.  Perhaps there are some "common sense" restrictions on a free press we should pursue.  A perverse religion cost us 3,000 lives on September 11.

These fools that use the hunting or sport shooting analogy for the second ammendment are trying to impact the clueless.  We should, each time this is brought up, remind them of the only 2 real reasons for the second:

1.  Defend the country or your family from foreign invasion

2.  Remove a tyrannical government from power.

To do either, you need modern, military weaponry.

I can't believe Rogero got elected in the first place (not like the other guy was much better). I think it was a lack of educated voters being able to get off work to vote. The Repulican party needs to take a page from the Dems to get more voters out in these lower level elections. I bet if a full court press was put on by the Republican Party we could make a difference in the local level. Edited by STAHDKnoxville
  • Like 1
Guest mikedwood

If hunting were a right I wouldn't need a license for it. If you have a license for something it is not a right it's a privilege. So are they saying I don't need a license to hunt or are they saying that they have no clue as to what a right is.

Also for a right I don't need a background check. The rights are granted from the creator not the government. 

Am I too far off base here?

The article read to me as it Rugero was being admonished because she isn't in Bloomberg's mayor group against guns.

Edited by mikedwood

If hunting were a right I wouldn't need a license for it. If you have a license for something it is not a right it's a privilege. So are they saying I don't need a license to hunt or are they saying that they have no clue as to what a right is.

Also for a right I don't need a background check. The rights are granted from the creator not the government. 

The article read to me as it Rugero was being admonished because she isn't in Bloomberg's mayor group against guns.

The group writing it as I'm sure you are well aware, is very liberal.

Rogero is card carrying left wing nutjob.  She even brags about protesting with ceasar chavez in the 70's for "workers rights".  She made it a bullet point on her campaign website she was so proud of it.

The city of Knoxville is left/democrat leaning and has been for years.  The city has lots of lower class whites and minorities.  Rogero was never challenged in the mayors race.  She came somewhat close to beating our current governor when he was mayor.  Haslam is country club republican and gave her a prime job in the city after the election enabling her to walk into the mayors office the next election.  Why Haslam continues to include democrats in his political success is beyond me.  He is still doing it in Nashville.

The flip side is Knox County which is far more powerful and larger than the city of Knoxville and it is overwhelmingly republican/conservative.  The Knox Co mayor will probably be our next governor.

Article 1

Section 26. That the citizens of this state have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

Just in case anyone else here wants to send  a reminder of what our great State's Constitution says to your Mayor. 

The murder rate is only high in cities over 250,000,

Sorry, but that is not correct.  Jackson is nowhere near that size in population and it is way up in the number of murders, and then there are the armed robbery numbers, home invasions...

Jackson/Madison County TN is the 9th most dangerous municipality in the US.  We have a shooting or a murder nearly everyday here.

Edited by Worriedman

Hell that worked for Obama when he was in the Congress. Just say here when they call your name, like  you were asleep in high school!