Ruger Gunsite Scout

Spots

I have taken a large interest in these rifles. I can find them for $700-$1000 on gunbroker used, but I was wondering if anyone has seen one local that I could go fondle and see if it fits me and feels right. I'd be interested in going to any shop within 3-4 hours of Knoxville to get hands on one and get a feel for it, and possibly purchase. Im hoping this isn't one of those guns that is being panic bought as bad as others. Also if you own one and were willing to give me a few minutes to see it I'd be grateful and would buy you a beer or lunch afterwards. Thanks guys

I've got a buddy who has one and loves it. I'd offer to get us all together for a shootaround but he's leaving for the desert in a couple of days and I don't imagine he wants me to keep his Scout the whole time...

No probably not. Good to hear he likes it though, only thing Ive found that might be a negative so far is they werent made for stripper clip reload from the top. Not a big thing for.me but some.people seem to have issues with it.

I wish they'd make a smaller caliber model for us weak shouldered wimps.  Since I hurt my shoulder I can't shoot stuff like that.  A .300 BLK or even a .223 would be great.  Maybe put a charger guid on the receiver bridge to accept NATO stripper clips.  

....oh and they need to redesign the muzzle brake.  That bird cage is godawful ridiculous lookin.

I wish they'd make a smaller caliber model for us weak shouldered wimps. Since I hurt my shoulder I can't shoot stuff like that. A .300 BLK or even a .223 would be great. Maybe put a charger guid on the receiver bridge to accept NATO stripper clips.

....oh and they need to redesign the muzzle brake. That bird cage is godawful ridiculous lookin.

Rumors say they might have .223 version this year. There are alot of options for replacing the muzzle brake.
I have one. I live in Knoxville near Gander Mountain PM me if you are in area.

FYI, my biggest gripe is the steel mag. It makes action feel gritty. Honestly, I have not fired yet, but the setup feels really good. I added a leupold scout scope with warne lever throw rings.

PS: if you plan to make this a tactical platform, look for something with a rear mount scope. I see lots iof guys messing these up. Mine has a SA socom 1 with walnut stock as a twin. The light weight of ruger is really nice. Really handles well. Edited by wareagle
Guest drifter

I wish they'd make a smaller caliber model for us weak shouldered wimps.  Since I hurt my shoulder I can't shoot stuff like that.  A .300 BLK or even a .223 would be great.  Maybe put a charger guid on the receiver bridge to accept NATO stripper clips.  

....oh and they need to redesign the muzzle brake.  That bird cage is godawful ridiculous lookin.

Sounds like you want a Mossberg MVP.  .223/5.56 bolt action uses AR mags.  People are swapping barrels to shoot .300 blk.

Last time I was at the Outdoor Junction in Cookeville they had both a Ruger Gunsite and a Mossberg MVP.  MVP seemed just as nice a rifle as the Ruger if you're willing to go with a smaller caliber, and its cheaper.

FYI, my biggest gripe is the steel mag. It makes action feel gritty. Honestly, I have not fired yet, but the setup feels really good. I added a leupold scout scope with warne lever throw rings.

PS: if you plan to make this a tactical platform, look for something with a rear mount scope. I see lots iof guys messing these up. Mine has a SA socom 1 with walnut stock as a twin. The light weight of ruger is really nice. Really handles well.

I have read that Ruger included normal style rings along with it being setup for scout style scope. I'd like to have both options, something in a 2.5-4x scout, and something bigger and stronger for longer range. Though a 2.5 power scope wouldn't bother me out to 500 yds, just from being used to shooting 500 yds with irons with the M16.

PS: if you plan to make this a tactical platform, look for something with a rear mount scope. I see lots iof guys messing these up. Mine has a SA socom 1 with walnut stock as a twin. The light weight of ruger is really nice. Really handles well.

Ruger offers 5 and 10 round polymer mags. Although I doubt it would make a difference in the action.

Ruger offers 5 and 10 round polymer mags. Although I doubt it would make a difference in the action.

The polymer make a huge difference. The AI steel mags wiggle and Cycle roughly. The Ruger polymer mags are much better,plus they are much cheaper.