Practicing without your ears on

Do any of you practice with out hearing protection on? I guess I am thinking in a bad citation I probably will not have time to gear up. (Middle of the night glass breaking)

Will the shock of hearing a gun going off without ears on be disconcerting? I know I try to practice as close to the real thing as possible but have never practice to see what live fire would sound like.

Do any of you practice with out hearing protection on? I guess I am thinking in a bad citation I probably will not have time to gear up. (Middle of the night glass breaking)

Will the shock of hearing a gun going off without ears on be disconcerting? I know I try to practice as close to the real thing as possible but have never practice to see what live fire would sound like.

It's loud.

Edited by Raoul

I have never shot indoors without hearing protection, but I always hunt without it and never even notice it. I have shot lots of clays with a shotgun and duck hunted out of blinds without hearing protection all my life. It doesn't bother me from my own gun, but other guns in a blind do. If I'm hunting in a blind or close proximity with someone else, I will wear hearing protection.

As far as practicing indoors without hearing pro... I wouldn't.

Edited by Batman
  • Like 1
In accounts of shootings I have read and heard personally, you won't even hear the gunshot. I've read about cops who shoot a suspect and don't immediately realize they ever fired their weapon. If that moment ever comes, your body will go into survival mode and you act instinctually. I wouldn't risk damaging my hearing. There is reason that police firearm training always takes place with hearing and eye protection in use.

When your body goes into full adrenaline dump all fine motor skills go as well as tunnel vision along with your hearing. You will not hear the gunshot but you will still suffer the temporary ringing when your body gets back to normal.

I would never shoot without hearing protection, indoors or out, any more. I used to when I was young and invincible and not I have a constant ringing because of it.

Dolomite

• Like 3

Not something I would suggest, but I have been through it a few times and still tested out as having no hearing loss (and it was still just as far above the norm as when I went into the military). You don't need to practice it, and you shouldn't.

Funny on me - after a few days of really hectic exercises and gunnery I parked next to a tank on the screen line thinking I would leave before they screened. Well everyone forgot I was there (I fell asleep for the first time in three days) and when I woke up I had paper all over the inside of the HMMWV from my binder, the overpressure of two rounds of main gun ammo having opened it up for me. Slept through that and 200 rounds of 7.62 fired from the coax inside the turret. My ears did not ring and I was fine.

Wow was I tired.

Edited by Paladin132
  • Like 1
Thanks for the "thoughtful" responses. I was just wondering if others had, I did not say I was planning on shooting with out my ears on. When I go to the indoor range I use double protection because it is so loud. It is a shock even with ears on.

When I go to the indoor range I use double protection because it is so loud. It is a shock even with ears on.

Yeah, I don't like indoor ranges at all, for this and other reasons.

Even with enough ear protection so that I'm absolutely protected, there's still an overall concussive sensation I find disturbing.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

If you are ever in that situation you will not notice how loud the gunfire is. I absolutely promise.

If you are ever in that situation you will not notice how loud the gunfire is. I absolutely promise.

+1

The auditory senses are one of the senses that gets the bloodflow restricted when the adrenaline starts flowing. You also will not notice how heavy a trigger is or how hard a gun kicks. Most times you won't be able to tell how many shots you fired. You will loose fine motor skills and only have gross movements. The biggest danger during a life and death encounter is when you get tunnel vision.

You will still suffer the after affects of shooting the gun like ringing ears or bruising but only after the adrenaline is gone.

I absolutely hate adrenaline dumps. Not so much during but afterwards because all I want to do is go to sleep for a week.

Dolomite

+1

The auditory senses are one of the senses that gets the bloodflow restricted when the adrenaline starts flowing. You also will not notice how heavy a trigger is or how hard a gun kicks. Most times you won't be able to tell how many shots you fired. You will loose fine motor skills and only have gross movements. The biggest danger during a life and death encounter is when you get tunnel vision.

You will still suffer the after affects of shooting the gun like ringing ears or bruising but only after the adrenaline is gone.

I absolutely hate adrenaline dumps. Not so much during but afterwards because all I want to do is go to sleep for a week.

Dolomite

I just got good and liquored after my first one.  I was a little shaky for a few hours afterwards.

Anymore I generally don't get adrenaline dumps like I did before. Even when I do I come down pretty quick and then get really tired. I can remember a few times I felt like I was going to throw up during or right after. The most disturbing part to me is the HEAVY pounding of th heart and the feeling like you can't get enough air.

Dolomite

Just protect the ears you wanna keep. 

I heard a 9mm go off in a hotel room once.  It was quite loud, hurt a little, not really disorienting, my tinnitus just went up 1000% for about an hour.

I did it once because I wanted to see what it was like. Ran a few rounds of .45 through my glock and that was enough. But when my buddy was shooting about 6 feet away it wasnt loud enough to hurt my ears. Out doors of course. I wouldnt do it much if you do. Thats the only time I have shot with no ears on.

Anymore I generally don't get adrenaline dumps like I did before. Even when I do I come down pretty quick and then get really tired. I can remember a few times I felt like I was going to throw up during or right after. The most disturbing part to me is the HEAVY pounding of th heart and the feeling like you can't get enough air.

Dolomite

I've done it once--that was enough. Dunno how you ever get "used to" that feeling. I hope to never find out.........