Greetings from Oakland...bought 1st handgun today

Guest Plungerhead

Guest Plungerhead

Hi ladies and gentlemen. I am a 58 y/o guy that just bought a home in Fayette County. 18 years in Shelby County was enough for me, especially having moved from Texas in 1994.

I've never owned a gun before; only shot a couple of them 30+ years ago. I thought it was time to jump in, especially considering they might be illegal someday. :rant:

My girlfriend and I went to Range USA yesterday. They were busy as hell. One clerk talked to us but wouldn't let us shoot for lack of experience. What the hell???
Isn't that what one goes to a range for, to shoot? Anyway, we were disappointed but understood. We then went to Bass Pro...............Heck, we couldn't even get close enough to view the guns on display!
So we blew off buying a gun on a Sunday.
However, I stopped by a gun dealer this morning to ask a few questions. The people were extremely helpful, and I ended up buying a .22 caliber Baretta target pistol. The gun and an extra clip cost me $325.
I figured it would be fine to learn with, then a couple months later I can step up and buy another pistol or two. Funny thing is, they had no ammo for it; told me to go to Bass Pro!

For most of my life I've been heavily involved in motorcycles, but came to a conclusion yesterday that guns don't have tires, batteries, carbs, chains, and most of all I won't have to worry about old ethanol-contaminated gasoline!

I guess I'm saying that instead of spending all that money on bikes I should have been spending it on guns!

Jim

Here is a link to my first....... :usa:

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u22-neos/?keywords=.22

BerettaU22-sm.jpg

Edited by Plungerhead
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to TGO and congrats on your first handgun, im a firm believer that every shooter needs at least one .22 pistol and rifle for no other reason than cheap trigger time... at least when ammo is available in regular amounts again which i firmly believe wont take long for .22LR, i've been considering a beretta NEOS myself for awhile now, they get good reviews

Edited by JoeJ615
Guest Plungerhead

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Haven't found ammo yet, but haven't had much time to look.

I have a couple friends that are regular shooters that are keeping their eyes open for me though.

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting comfortable with the gun. Hopefully this weekend I can get a few rounds off.

The sad thing is, I have a few motorcycles and haven't ridden in two months! I'm in retail wine & spirits (OK, Fine! I run a liquor store!!! We did $5 million last year though. :up: )

Had to deal with Oct/Nov/Dec; also had to move at the end of the year due to lease expiring, AND I just had knee surgery!

Yea, been a little busy but I MUST take the time to learn this gun and others!!!!

When I bought the Beretta last Monday, I got a clear understanding what it is like for non-drinkers coming in to the store asking questions. I was definitely a fish out of water!

Thanks again for the welcome folks,

Jim

Welcome Plungerhead. Nice pistol you picked out. That and the buckmark are both great plinkers. I really think the ammo manufacturers were caught off guard as was everyone and will get caught up soon and ammo will be easier to get. Ther has to be a saturation point that will be reached eventually too.

Mean time while you don't have ammo, get that pistol out with the manual and read about it and get used to field stripping / cleaning and just get intimate with your first pistol. Check out YouTube on your particular pistol. Lots of videos exist on most popular firearms and some are very informative. When you do get some ammo get together with the friends you mentioned and let them show you the ins and outs of having fun with a gun! Edited by Randall53

Welcome man! If you ever want to meet up at Range USA I will be glad to let you shoot the few guns I have as well as answer any questions you have or show you a few things. I don't proclaim to be a tacticall mall ninja know it all but I have taken a few classes and would be more than happy to help a newcomer get started. PM me if you want my contact info.

Also I'd be willing to bet with the flood of new gun owners in the recent weeks that they may have had to screen folks a little more to make sure everyone stays safe. They are good folks there from what I have seen. Don't let that one time discourage you.

Edited by maroonandwhite
Guest Plungerhead

Welcome, Jim. Tell me about your motorcycles. I live in Tullahoma (abt. 70 miles S of Nashville). I've been riding motorcycles since 1966 (1966 Benelli 125 that I ran my paper route with).

"decotriumph"  Cool username! I'm sure there is a great story behind it.

I've been riding most of my life as well, although there was approx an 18-year absence between the first and second go-round. My current stable consists of a 1993 Concours project bike, with title, that I would let go for a box of 22LR!!!! :rofl:

Also have a 1994 VT500 Ascot that I bought for my girlfriend to learn on. She still hasn't been on it OR learned to ride. :blush:

Now to the serious stuff................I have a 1983 CB1100F (the much faster blue color) as well as a 2001 CBR1100XX "Super Blackbird", aka "The Beast".  I need to sell either the F or the Blackbird because at this point in my life I need a contemporary,

"retro" UJM......I seriously have the hots for the 2013 CB1100. I will try to post pics, but I am somewhat of a techno-doofus.

Jim

Guest Plungerhead

Welcome , and I'm headed your way with a box of 50 for the bike !

Threeeighty, Make It So!!!

Seriously though, I would hate to rip you off! Although there are many new parts included with the Connie, it does need a lot of work. At the same time, there are some pretty cool parts you could list on ebay

and get in return way more than you have invested. At this point, with just having moved to a new home, I'm ready to get it out of the garage. If you are serious about trading some ammo for it, shoot me a pm.

It does have a clear TN title.

Jim