Reply from Bill Haslam

January 30, 2013

Dear Mark:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.  Listening to and learning from Tennesseans is very important to me, and I appreciate that you thought to share this with me. I support our Constitution, including the Second Amendment.

Recently, the president signed twenty-three executive orders on gun control.  This level of unilateral action bypassing Congress on an issue this important is unprecedented and concerning.  We are continuing to review the orders to see if there are any limitations placed on Second Amendment rights.

It appears right now that the president put his major efforts to limit the Second Amendment into proposals that must be voted on by Congress.  This is important because the House of Representatives can amend, accept or reject these proposals.

We will be watching this situation closely, and I know you will also.  Again, thank you for taking the time to write.  I look forward to working with you and all Tennesseans to make our great state an even better place to live, work, and raise a family.

Warmest regards,

Bill Haslam

BH:nsm

• Like 2

Seems like a decent response.

I'll withhold judgement until the opportunity comes up for Haslam to do something and wait to see what he does...if anything.  Just playing it cautious.  Trust, but verify.  I don't trust politicians.  As far as I'm concerned, they are all guilty until they prove themselves innocent by good and positive actions for the people, not against the people.

• Like 1

A number of pro gun bills have been introduced in TN. We may find out soon enough how Governor Haslam feels about 2nd Amendment rights. Hopefully these bills move swiftly to his desk. Action speaks louder than words but his letter sounded pretty good.

• Like 1

Not banking on it but I think he would not want the backlash that would come with the veto.

Well, like numerous other firearm "freedoms" we've been granted, it'll probably wind up being so toothless by the time it passes he won't need to veto it.

- OS

There is not much TN can do about blocking the feds.  About all TN can do is ask the local and state police not to enforce certain federal laws.  The state of TN can't block ATF from enforcing fed laws.

Guest Broomhead

I got the same response too.

I received the same response

Must be a basic response one of his lackies wrote, I received the same thing.

There is not much TN can do about blocking the feds.  About all TN can do is ask the local and state police not to enforce certain federal laws.  The state of TN can't block ATF from enforcing fed laws.

True but law enforcement can make it hard on the feds by not cooperating. I venture to say that the majority of fed firearm crimes are orginally brought about by local and state police and then turned over to the feds. Without the orginal local arrest, the arrest never would have happened.

Ever so often we lift those and carry through what they could not tread alone. This is our state elected
Governor whom the majority filled the bAllet for. When promises are made, expectations should be honored. I look to bill to help, aid, and assist us through these crucial times. I would hope that a man sworn in a believer of the hard work this great nation put forth to demand liberty and justice for all to be honored above all else, and if not for us, for his own pride in this great state who has made sure the floor was clear to receive his message. Someone should make him aware that the time to stand behind tennesseeans could be as critical now as it ever has been. Who should we have attend if we needed the FACTS the bread and butter members who know gun control stats? I will be with you brothers. Lets try to come up with a rational argument( as easjy as that may seem) so that Bill can be well informed of what it was exactly, our founding fathers knew would be crucial. The sad part is, running in TN, is it not easy to see what we want? Things to calm down....

When was the last time any of you felt pride in your families leniage and decided to not except what the grocery store had to offer grew sick of it all, and grew your own food? I can tell you for those who haven't, you are throwing away an instinct that was bred in you..? WhY do I continually hear "This is my RIGHT" it has built us all these years and god willing will give me the governor I voted for. It is our job first to make our voice heard. If we still have a honest man in or ranks, we should be fine. Or it will be a loss for us all.
I would like to note That bill and I had a talk over my dining room table when he used myself and my neighbors as a "home base" if you will in lil ol Murfreesboro TN. He seemed very inspired, a much needed mentality when he first hit the trail. Since then I have seen many disappointments on bills signed simply due to privacy invasion and thick TN politics. Now you skate in on a party looking to get back to a true self government for the people, by the people, and you don't make a FIRM stand, for people who voted you in to put Tennessee 1st. Edited by jport
2nd amendment. It is already right. One of the pillars of our constitution, and of incredible importance of the south where my daughters will have no boundary in terms of preserving our family's food, water source, and protection. I will not do away with the valuable traditions I have taught.

Sorry a lot of emotion lately. Rats at the feeder bar for this "Disarm America Phase 2 Agenda" enough.

True but law enforcement can make it hard on the feds by not cooperating. I venture to say that the majority of fed firearm crimes are orginally brought about by local and state police and then turned over to the feds. Without the orginal local arrest, the arrest never would have happened.

Just like the Fed refusing to come get illegals from local law enforcement in AZ, NM, etc.